Ship cruises

Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ship cruises

I'm thinking of going on one if the local cruise liners next year 2009. Main reason being @ around 1,000 bucks per person for the 4 of us, for around 9 nights it seems cheaper than most other comparable overseas holidays. Especially considering that includes all meals etc. Bali, Fiji and even Thailand seemingly a far more expensive option.

One thing I dont know though, is how much one would spend on board. I've got to admit the wife and I do like to have a few drinks on our holidays... I'd say I would average at least 10 beers a day... around 5 pints minimum probably more if I really got into the zone. The wife would probably average about 3 bottles of wine minimum as well.

I just wondered how much extra one needs as spending money on one of these cruises and what people felt the best points and the worst points of such a holiday.

I'm trying out one of these trips as a barometer for a future planned trip to or from the UK by cruise liner.

Anyone got any experience of these cruises and any one else planning a similar trip.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 17th 2008 at 5:04 am.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:55 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ship cruises

Your wife drinks 3 bottles of wine a day!!!!

I must say they wouldn't be for me. I did look into it but some of the cheaper ships look a bit like a floating Butlins with no chance of escaping. However, whatever floats your boat .

I also don't think that there would be any comparison between the type of ship that sales to Fiji etc - ie P&O Princess Cruises and those that do the round the world trips like Cunard.

If you are after a cheapish holiday why not see if anyone on here has a timeshare that they are willing to 'sell' their weeks if they are not using them. There are some vary good fares around at the moment particularly to Bali and Phuket and it is very cheap to eat out in these places.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Your wife drinks 3 bottles of wine a day!!!!

I must say they wouldn't be for me. I did look into it but some of the cheaper ships look a bit like a floating Butlins with no chance of escaping. However, whatever floats your boat .

I also don't think that there would be any comparison between the type of ship that sales to Fiji etc - ie P&O Princess Cruises and those that do the round the world trips like Cunard.

If you are after a cheapish holiday why not see if anyone on here has a timeshare that they are willing to 'sell' their weeks if they are not using them. There are some vary good fares around at the moment particularly to Bali and Phuket and it is very cheap to eat out in these places.

Whoops on holiday she may Vanessa, or maybe one day a week on a weekend. I'd probably help with one bottle of that wine.

Every person I've met personally thats been on a cruise has talked quite well of experience, but I've only had conversation in passing, and never got around to asking questions from my POV. I notice Cunards fare is 13,000 bucks with ocean views for 53 days to the UK. I dont know anyone thats done the Cunard thing though, only around the Med and South Pacific.

Yes will have a think about the timeshare option, I know a few people, including family with Timeshare.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:08 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

No wonder you like the thought of being of water - you both sound like you were fish in your previous life!!!!!

I know a few people who have done the QE2 and loved the experience. However, they have not done 53 days - what an amazing journey that must be and only $13,000 - a bargain.

Ps before anyone says anything - yes I know that the QE2 is on her last journey.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be a cruise agent, so have been on a lot of cruise ships. Firstly, you can get a good ship for little money. Comnparing everything to Cunard is a very bad idea. A lot of people think they are the rolls royce of cruises, actually they are no better than people such as P&O - who by the way, contrary to the other poster, do do round the world - in fact we considered treating ourselves by arriving in Oz that way - there is no baggage allowance.
The real luxury ships include things like Silversea, Raddison and Sea Dream which are all super all inclusive - think champagne and caviar for free.
The ship you want, depends on you. They are all very different. If you PM me with your situation, such children, your age, what you like to do, i can give more advice.
Also try looking at cruisecritic.com
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Anyone got any experience of these cruises and any one else planning a similar trip.
Waaayyy to many news stories about death, rape, attacks, and yobs making other passengers life a misery for me to even consider it.

A few years ago, we had my parents booked on that P&O ship from Brisbane, but my folks had to fly home early, so we had to cancel the cruise and lose the deposit. Then the news came on about Dianne Brimble death and all the other horrible tales about what went on, on board on the cruise they were supposed to be on.

Thank god my parents missed it.

The problem with a cruise ship is there is no escape, you are stuck on board with these people. If you find alot of people you don't like, and they're in all the cabins around you. Tough, you'll also meet them every day in the resturant, swimming pool etc...

Unless of course there is a 1st Class, 2nd Class, 3rd Class kind of tiering system, so you could be sure to avoid the drug taking, all night partying, selfish scum.

JTL
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Waaayyy to many news stories about death, rape, attacks, and yobs making other passengers life a misery for me to even consider it.

A few years ago, we had my parents booked on that P&O ship from Brisbane, but my folks had to fly home early, so we had to cancel the cruise and lose the deposit. Then the news came on about Dianne Brimble death and all the other horrible tales about what went on, on board on the cruise they were supposed to be on.

Thank god my parents missed it.

The problem with a cruise ship is there is no escape, you are stuck on board with these people. If you find alot of people you don't like, and they're in all the cabins around you. Tough, you'll also meet them every day in the resturant, swimming pool etc...

Unless of course there is a 1st Class, 2nd Class, 3rd Class kind of tiering system, so you could be sure to avoid the drug taking, all night partying, selfish scum.

JTL
There are ships out there with a "reputation", the same as there are hotels out there with the same problems. As for being stuck there, it depends on the itinary. If it is port intensive, then you are probably only going to be onboard on a night. I can think of several hotels, (some with big reputations) that are vile
As for drug taking, all night partying, crime - its crap. How many ships have you been on? I have been on about a dozen, and never come across anything of this sort. The only possible issue is if you elect to be on a shared dinning table and you dont get on with your table mates - but then most larger ships will have many restraunts you can have as an alternative, or simply as for another table
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

We've been on a few cruises, last year we tried a lesser boat, the MV Discovery for ten weeks, we chose it because of the itinerary, several Pacific Islands, Tahiti, Pitcairn, Easter Island, then over to South America including Galapagos, Belize, a trip through The Panama Canal, five days in Cuba, Bermuda, Nassau, Azores ending up with a couple of days in London. A few pics at www.mytb.org/nigwar. This was a three star small ship, around 500 passengers; problem was that after two weeks everything was recycled, the entertainment, the menu, the food soon began to taste all the same, we found we were eating too much anyway and soon skipped the evening meal replacing it with a supper snack. After this experience we decided in future to never go on anything less than 4 stars and at least 5 stars if possible. The QE2 and Legend of the Seas are four stars, The Queen Victoria and most of the Holland America are five stars, things like the Crystal harmony are six stars.

Onboard expenses can be quite high especially if you want a few drinks, they will cost about the same as on land. You'll probably also need some shore trips, these can be anything from $30 - $150 each per day and don't forget tipping. We save a bit by doing our own laundry in the cabin, we take a few non-iron easy wash clothes, generally most people need about half as many clothes and twice as much money. We give the formal nights a miss and eat in the casual dining areas; usually on days at sea the evening meal is formal, dinner suit or dark suit with tie. The formal nights seem to be to keep your mind off the food, on the really posh ships they are optional, if you want to dress for dinner you book into the formal restaurant otherwise it is smart casual in the ordinary dining room.

This year we've booked on a river ship down the Moselle for 12 nights, not been on one before but have had many good reports, we are also trying to arrange a cruise in the Pacific on the Sun Princess a month or so after we get back.

The important thing is to keep well in with your steward/housekeeper, take along a little gift for them and give it to them near the beginning, in our case an Australian souvenir costing about $10, we'll give it to them about the second day.

If you want a quality cruise sometime, try round the Hawaiian Islands on an American ship; the Yanks know how to enjoy themselves and they don't put up with any rubbish.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
There are ships out there with a "reputation", the same as there are hotels out there with the same problems. As for being stuck there, it depends on the itinary. If it is port intensive, then you are probably only going to be onboard on a night. I can think of several hotels, (some with big reputations) that are vile
As for drug taking, all night partying, crime - its crap. How many ships have you been on? I have been on about a dozen, and never come across anything of this sort. The only possible issue is if you elect to be on a shared dinning table and you dont get on with your table mates - but then most larger ships will have many restraunts you can have as an alternative, or simply as for another table
Its not just that. Obviously there was the Dianne Brimble case, and then a few months later another woman went missing from the same ship (presumed overboard, which was what the guys in the Dianne Brimble case wanted to do with her also).

Theres also been loads of cases of the ship breaking down, and passengers being stuck in a port for days, and then being flown home. Or the ship just not able to leave on time from the original port.

And of course the classic 'outbreak' of a disease on the ship, and it has to cut short the cruise cos half the passengers are puking their guts up.

And these are just stories I've read in the newspaper in Brisbane in the last 2 years. Ehhhh Think I'd prefer 2 weeks with my feet up having a few beers and watching TV at home.

The PROBLEM, and I know this sounds very classist, is that since cruises have become so cheap, they are now available to the unwashed hoardes. So instead of getting an exclusive, once in a lifetime experience, you have to put up with the Butlins crowd, who can now afford a cruise.

Are there different classes on cruise liners? I don't think there is or I would have been debating whether to put my parents in a different class. I know there are better standards of cabins and things, but all amenities are shared aren't they?

Last edited by JackTheLad; Mar 17th 2008 at 9:09 am.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of going on one if the local cruise liners next year 2009. Main reason being @ around 1,000 bucks per person for the 4 of us, for around 9 nights it seems cheaper than most other comparable overseas holidays. Especially considering that includes all meals etc. Bali, Fiji and even Thailand seemingly a far more expensive option.

One thing I dont know though, is how much one would spend on board. I've got to admit the wife and I do like to have a few drinks on our holidays... I'd say I would average at least 10 beers a day... around 5 pints minimum probably more if I really got into the zone. The wife would probably average about 3 bottles of wine minimum as well.

I just wondered how much extra one needs as spending money on one of these cruises and what people felt the best points and the worst points of such a holiday.

I'm trying out one of these trips as a barometer for a future planned trip to or from the UK by cruise liner.

we did a cruise a few years ago when we were in England around the caribbean it was the best holiday we have had we sailed through the night and woke up to a different island evey day it was worth every penny, the only down side was the drinks were expensive, my mum and dad went on the canberra a few times and enjoyed it, then the oreana but said the people on there were a bit snobby.
Janet
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Are there different classes on cruise liners? I don't think there is or I would have been debating whether to put my parents in a different class. I know there are better standards of cabins and things, but all amenities are shared aren't they?
The only company which offers different classes is Cunard, though NCL, if you go on one of their new ships has garden villas, which have a lot of ameneties just for those passengers. The other way around is book a 6 star ship such as Silversea. The 6 star ships are fantastic and the passengers are likely to be VERY well heeled - think captains of industry, but obviously you pay the price.
Many of the lesser star ships, because of the way they are organised, tend to attract a very tastefull crowd. For example P&O, tends to be passengers aged 50+ who are very well travlled and enjoy things such as bridge, ballroom dancing and attending on board guest speakers. The only line i would avoid is Carnival, which does decribe itself as party ships. That and avoid anything in the Caribean during the US spring break
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by verystormy
The only company which offers different classes is Cunard, though NCL, if you go on one of their new ships has garden villas, which have a lot of ameneties just for those passengers. The other way around is book a 6 star ship such as Silversea. The 6 star ships are fantastic and the passengers are likely to be VERY well heeled - think captains of industry, but obviously you pay the price.
Many of the lesser star ships, because of the way they are organised, tend to attract a very tastefull crowd. For example P&O, tends to be passengers aged 50+ who are very well travlled and enjoy things such as bridge, ballroom dancing and attending on board guest speakers. The only line i would avoid is Carnival, which does decribe itself as party ships. That and avoid anything in the Caribean during the US spring break
Thanks for your advice, I wont know exactly what I'm capable of doing next year until I come back from the UK at the end of June.

Hopefully You'll still be around and I'll have a better idea of what I want, many thanks.

I really do want to give a local cruise a try, just in case I'm one of those odd people that finds the experience boring. I'm sure I will enjoy it though.

I can understand JTL's reticence, but I like to find out for myself. It's unusual for me to find myself in a situation where I cant get some enjoyment.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Dont know how long you will be in the UK for, but a lot of the cruise companies offer taster cruises for 2 - 3 nights for people who want to experience before they commit to a bigger cruise, usually out of Dover or Southanpton.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's unusual for me to find myself in a situation where I cant get some enjoyment.
3 weeks in a cabin with paper thin walls next door to some partying rednecks, having loud sex every night?

How'd that suit ya

JTL
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:14 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

If you like watching the overweight bovine masses fight for the buffet before being escorted on some overpriced option 'excursion' then yeh they are great!

Seriously, been on one 2 weeker to Cyprus/Greece/Turkey and one down the Nile and both times I was there only because my partner was incredibly hot. Worth it then, obviously.

You WILL get accosted by the Most Boring People On Planet Earth and you WON'T be able to escape ... and yes, I was probably one of them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.