Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Shall we buy a Campervan when we arrive?

Shall we buy a Campervan when we arrive?

Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shall we buy a Campervan when we arrive?

Originally Posted by carmele
Hi Mat,

We stayed in apartments / motel for about 5 weeks in total. We could have moved in sooner somewhere else but held out for a house near a school, turns out the school couldn't take our son in the end, whole different story

You should be able to find somewhere in the first week, I would recommend getting on the net as soon as you can to find out when the viewings are. If your driving around and see something thats suitable from the outside, be forceful when you call up if the viewing isn't for another 4 days, we did and more often than not they agreed to meet us that day if the property was empty

Where are you thinking of settling?

Carmel
Thanks Carmel! I reckon a book could be written about all the disasters to do with emigration to Oz (and the good humour they always seem to be taken in!)

We are watching about viewings but most listed are just a few days ahead and we are still 2 weeks (hopefully, see pox thread!) from flying out. Good tip about being forceful tho and will take that on board.

We dont have kids, yet, so schools not a prob. We will buy transport in the first week (thanks Sas, working on your tip right now) so are keeping location options open. Its only rental so wont be a place we will settle - although even when we buy we'll move again (within ACT) if needed...

Thanks, and looking forward to saying hi at a Barbie bash - hopefully
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:45 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the houses we went to look at I'm not joking smelt of horses! Dead ones!!!!! It was like squatters house, carpet was peeling off the floor, dog hir everywhere. We came out laughing our heads off, (think that may have been with hysteria thru tiredness of looking!!! tho!)

Ah, so that was the reason the rental agent stayed outside

As soon as we walked in chris walked back out!

Definately have a barbie soon (ish) after you arrive, you'll probably need a drink or 2 or 3 or 4! We just had one on saturday too it was good!

If you need anything drop us a line I'm sure any of us would help you out anyway we could if you need it!

Where are you looking to go? You got jobs or anything yet?

Carmel
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Mat (and Pamela) wasn't offering you the caravan on the back lawn - NO WAY - just on the front - which we haven't landscaped yet.

Any chance of you bringing out some booty????
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:15 am

You having a good week so far Sarah....?

Beats texting this, it's like instant messenger.

What's booty? Thought that was bums..........? Beyonce sings about them doesn't she?

Deffo Mat, seen the back garden, it lurvley!

You've even had to have an 'injured' day off for all the effort you've put in eh? Kids loved feeding chickens too. You have still got the chickens? Being veggies and all that

Carmel
x
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough

Can we keep off the subject of chickens....lol

Yeah, what booty?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

sion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud of

cant believe this thread just logged on to ask similar question
we are flying to adelaide in Jan hoping to buy a campervan to travel around aus for 4 months (wife, 3 kids and a dog . must be mad)

I have the same worries about the address issue
can I get a bank account without a permanent address?
what about the tax file no for work ?
can you get internet on the move ?

we would love to do this but is it viable

sorry to jump in on your thread walkermat but I need help?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carmele
You having a good week so far Sarah....?

Beats texting this, it's like instant messenger.

What's booty? Thought that was bums..........? Beyonce sings about them doesn't she?

Deffo Mat, seen the back garden, it lurvley!

You've even had to have an 'injured' day off for all the effort you've put in eh? Kids loved feeding chickens too. You have still got the chickens? Being veggies and all that

Carmel
x
Am having another day ill today - was supposed to meet Lisa for a quick coffee yesterday - but Pete hsared his lkovely germs - so I am now ill

Booty is stuff you can't get here and is from UK - the list starts off quite long - but after 3 years there is generally only 1 or 2 things that you really would like for a treat from back in the UK
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sasbear
but Pete shared his lovely germs - so I am now ill
Oh sas!!! Bad Pete! Far too much TLC you giving him.

Give us a list of booty and after all your help will endeavour to do what we can. Cant promise anything - Pamela is currently optimising weight - but we will try.

Mat
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by walkermat
Oh sas!!! Bad Pete! Far too much TLC you giving him.

Give us a list of booty and after all your help will endeavour to do what we can. Cant promise anything - Pamela is currently optimising weight - but we will try.

Mat

Oh you have cheered me up - the only comfort food I can think of is 'butterkist toffee popcorn' if you can still get it back there? Or a caramac bar - bopth allowed in and are not prohibited - don't worry I wouldn't ask you to become smugglers
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:49 am

Poor you! Put your feet up!

Bootleggin!? Maybe that's where it may come from?

Sion what a fab idea? Stockport wasn't from us before we left, we were just off m56! Where would you visit , 4 months is a decent time to travel!

Carmel