Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sexual discrimination rant!

Sexual discrimination rant!

Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sexual discrimination rant!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I have been asked that question in the UK. Totally understandable in my opinion. Guys don't generally have to go for pre natal checkups, etc and then take xx weeks/months off after the birth. No one in their right mind would say 'yes' as their answer, but they, as employers, are totally valid in asking the question imo.

Sorry about the miscarriage but the interviewer obviously didn't know and I would imagine your hormones were racing all over the place and could possibly have made you slightly more stressed about the question than you might other wise have been? I would hate to go for an interview when I have PMS
You may have been asked the question but it is not legal in the UK to discriminate against someone because they are possibly going to start a family at some point and the inference is that that is the criteria you are judging the candidate on if those are the sort of questions you ask. I don't think it should be ok anywhere. That is not to say it doesnt happen.

In some ways I agree that it may be a pain in the proverbial for bosses for women to take time off for pre-natal check-ups and time off after birth etc but it doesn't make it right that no female of child-bearing age should be offered a job in case that is the path they might go down.
I know the interviewer wouldn't have known - that is exactly my point. You shouldn't be asking personal questions in an interview that have no bearing on the ability to do the job. By the same token would it be standard practice to ask about the sexual orientation and habits of someone while they are facing an interview panel? Or whether they go to church on sunday?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

You may have been asked the question but it is not legal in the UK to discriminate against someone because they are possibly going to start a family at some point and the inference is that that is the criteria you are judging the candidate on if those are the sort of questions you ask. I don't think it should be ok anywhere. That is not to say it doesnt happen.
Exactly! I worked for many years in UK govt. and now in govt here, and they get away with murder here, they just wouldn't dare try it in the UK because even the most useless mananger would know its not on....and illegal.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:36 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Bullsheet, the blokes could go on it if they wished.... twas only the people avoiding personal responsbility that didnt go. Dont get confused with semantics.

I'd appreciate it if people replied with substance rather than one word knee jerk reactions.

Centerlink bless them, and they are a hopeless organisation, one of Aussies worst. Even they wouldnt restrict people going on the basis of Sex, I guarantee it... The rest is just heresay bullcrap, with people excusing themselves for not wanting to go on a job that they feel is demeaning for some illogical reason.
I believe that centrelink had nothing to do with the op being told to go on this training. This crap is handled by the money grabbing useless agencies that are part of the job network.
They get funding from the feds for what they do, which in my opinion is bugger all.
Most of these places are supposed to be christian based organisations but in my experience there is very little christian spirit among them. Their only interest is in FUNDING from the feds............... And, they DO discriminate all the time.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:40 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder

In some ways I agree that it may be a pain in the proverbial for bosses for women to take time off for pre-natal check-ups and time off after birth etc but it doesn't make it right that no female of child-bearing age should be offered a job in case that is the path they might go down.
I know the interviewer wouldn't have known - that is exactly my point. You shouldn't be asking personal questions in an interview that have no bearing on the ability to do the job. By the same token would it be standard practice to ask about the sexual orientation and habits of someone while they are facing an interview panel? Or whether they go to church on sunday?
If I ever see an employment application that asks my age etc I don't even bother to apply for the job since it's a good indication that the company doesnt take anti discrimination laws seriously.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
You want to try working in construction. Its unreal. A guy said to me this week "I want to talk to the piper not the monkey"

Cheeky git

vivienne
I'll second that - as a female field officer in construction I have heard the worst comments ever. One plumber asked me not to deal with a situation as he preferred someone more mature (he was the same age as me). When pressed he agreed - he just wanted a man to handle it.... I insisted he deal with me.

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Of course i do not believe for one minute that Centrelink would have that policy. However, I DO believe it very possible that they would told this by a trainer, not thinking with "official policy" hat on.
I have personally experienced outrageous sexism and discrimination in the Australian workforce on several occasions, in fact one place i went to work where i was in charge of helping to set up the whole company due to my previous experiening in owning a business in the same field in UK, I discovered after training up a guy to be my relief manager (who had zero industry experience) that he was offered a salary $5000 per annum more than myself. When I questioned it, this is what the weasel said to me.... " yeah but this guy has kids to look after and your husband earns a good wage doesnt he?" .... i kid you not!!!
Needless to say, my salary miraculously increased by $5000 too once i *cough* made my feelings quite clear

So yes... i can fully believe it would happen. You are a bloke, you would have no understanding of this phenomenen.
You really need to be a woman to experience it - and if you are a woman with a foreign accent - forget it!!!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:39 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

But seriously, I dont find Australia any more sexist than the uk. In fact its perhaps a bit more fair go and all that. Most Australians I work with are so easy going its frightening at work.

I hate to say it but I find women SO much more sexist than men. A million times more. There are women with real equality chips on their shoulders, women who think we should band together, women who think we should look after our men (usually their sons), women who play the hormone and kids card continually, who cry and act all needy, who flutter their lashes and laugh about manipulating men, women who think its ok to call sexism every time theres a disagreement. I think its all crap really.

Vive le difference I say, I dont want to be a man. And I definately don't want to be a woman claiming every apparent slight against me is sexism. I wouldnt let someone walk all over me but most people arent really out to do that and if they are I just mentally wiggle my little finger at them.

Vivienne
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:41 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
If I ever see an employment application that asks my age etc I don't even bother to apply for the job since it's a good indication that the company doesnt take anti discrimination laws seriously.

I just look at the job history - if they started work before 1985 then they are gone- old gits
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
I just look at the job history - if they started work before 1985 then they are gone- old gits
That's why mine only goes back 10 years. Nobody needs to know I could be their mother!