Reload this Page >

Serious: Alcoholic help

Serious: Alcoholic help

Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Serious: Alcoholic help

I've just had the most distressing email from my Aunt about her husband:

<It's been horrid with G drinking so much with so many admissions to hospital - one a month since January, all but one drink related....I'm at the end of my tolerance and actively considering getting out before too much anger and helplessness gets the better of me. G has really done little to access help for himself. Often he waits for others to come forward and put things in place for him rather than seek it out for himself. So despite him saying he wants to get better he himself has done nothing. I shoved the phone in his hand weeks ago and urged him to contact AA. He's been to one meeting and was too pissed to attend last Saturday. THe local drug and alcohol team can only do so much...and the rest is up to him...and the evidence now seems to indicate that he can't /won't manage it...and I really can't keep on dealing with his behaviour and the increased levels of my own distress. In my worst imaginings I hadn't reckoned on it being like this, otherwise I would not have married him. At the time and before we married he was getting stronger...but now it's ghastly and I feel so sorry for him but feel deeply helpless as he has to begin to help himself...All I know is that I have to be responsible for myself...and that means making a hard decision...>

Advice, help, anything. Feel utterly helpless here in Aus and so upset.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:29 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serious: Alcoholic help

Have no advice as such, but wanted to respond so you didn't feel alone.

So sorry that your Aunt is going through this. Sounds like a pretty emotional situation to be in (for all concerned)

{{{{Hugs}}}}}
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom

<It's been horrid with G drinking so much with so many admissions to hospital - one a month since January, all but one drink related....I'm at the end of my tolerance and actively considering getting out before too much anger and helplessness gets the better of me. G has really done little to access help for himself. Often he waits for others to come forward and put things in place for him rather than seek it out for himself. So despite him saying he wants to get better he himself has done nothing. I shoved the phone in his hand weeks ago and urged him to contact AA. He's been to one meeting and was too pissed to attend last Saturday. THe local drug and alcohol team can only do so much...and the rest is up to him...and the evidence now seems to indicate that he can't /won't manage it...and I really can't keep on dealing with his behaviour and the increased levels of my own distress. In my worst imaginings I hadn't reckoned on it being like this, otherwise I would not have married him. At the time and before we married he was getting stronger...but now it's ghastly and I feel so sorry for him but feel deeply helpless as he has to begin to help himself...All I know is that I have to be responsible for myself...and that means making a hard decision...>

how awful I can't really offer any advice as I've not had any personal experience with an alcoholic. saying that my uncle was an alcoholic he was also extremely depressed and eventually died through drink related illness.

I personally feel that if they want help they will accept it and if not then there's really not much you can do to help them. It must be pretty tough for you aunt who obviously loves him to have stayed, if she feels that she may be danger from his drinking then theres only one way to go - and that's to leave.

sorry this probably isn't the advice you need
regards
Debbie
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:38 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

I can't recommend Allen Carr enough. He doesn't completey buy in to AA's philosophy, and has his own clinics around the country under the 'Easyway' brand.

I became free in September 2005 after reading his book - The Easyway to Control Alcohol.

Hope things get better for your fam.

L
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

The best thing for your Aunt to do IMHO is leave him. Not just for her own sanity but also because she is unconsiously enabling him. As long as he has her support (not meaning support in drinking but just keeping his life ticking over) he has no reason to change his behaviour.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:49 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just wanted to say <<<<hugs>>>>>>
Its such a difficult situation to be in. I personally haven't been in this situation but the only one who can sort this out is your uncle. He has to accept the problem first and then decide that he wants help. Its not going to help him to keep being told that he has a problem when he hasn't accepted it yet. As for your aunt, she will need to decide if she can live with herself and with the guilt if she leaves him and something happens. I know its harsh but having had a Mum who wouldn't leave my Dad because she couldn't live with herself if something happened and saying she would have her own space after he had died (harsh maybe) and then dying first, she really needs to make the decision. Isn't there a support group for families of alcoholics? I'm sure there is and maybe your aunt should contact them or talk to her GP or seek out conselling herself. It might make her situation a little bit more bearable while she decides what to do about her husband.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
The best thing for your Aunt to do IMHO is leave him. Not just for her own sanity but also because she is unconsiously enabling him. As long as he has her support (not meaning support in drinking but just keeping his life ticking over) he has no reason to change his behaviour.
Have to say I agree with this, sadly She is the most important person in her life and no matter how much she wants him to get better, he obviously doesn't and he's the only one who can make a difference. Her leaving may just be the catalyst that get's him to get help. It could go the other way, but that won't be her fault - however much she believes it is.

A very shitty situation to be in. Don't feel helpless, you are listening and talking to her. Having you being slightly removed from the situation will probably help more than all the hugs and pats on the back from those geographically close to her.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:55 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Abandoning an alcoholic won't solve their drink problem.

If she loves him then surely that is the main objective here.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/info2/a/aa052197.htm
Old Jul 19th 2006, 1:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn

I don't think he's saying it will, but it appears that staying won't solve it either and it may save her sanity.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20

A very shitty situation to be in. Don't feel helpless, you are listening and talking to her. Having you being slightly removed from the situation will probably help more than all the hugs and pats on the back from those geographically close to her.

That's the problem really, in that I am her only close family. She has two other sisters and one brother (my father) but they have their heads so far up their own backsides, they'll just say she brought it upon herself and the 'help' they'll offer her will be a snide letter saying 'I told you so' and asking for god's help in the matter... It's not their fault they're like this, just the way they were bought up and it's the only way they know...but knowing that doesn't make it any easier to bear reading the letters when they arrive. They just haven't got a clue.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 1:30 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Ive been the wife...
if he isnt prepared to face his problem and deal with it with all the resources out there then im afraid hes a lost cause!
there is help out there, but like your aunt says they can only do so much, your uncle needs to address the problem himself.
your aunt cannot help him, and as said before she is actually supporting it just by being there and maintaining his routine/life for him.
kat xxx
Old Jul 19th 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

As mentioned before by other BE members HE has to want to stop drinking - your Aunt seems to see this though.

Until he does that it's day after day of the same old promises, cover ups, arguments, emotional blackmail etc.

I do know there is an organisation for families who have to deal with alcoholics it's a UK site http://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/ it may offer some advice on how to get through this awful situation.

It's hard to offer anything positive because you just feel so useless. Be careful, as much as you want to help, you can become absolutely drained by your Uncle's behaviour and your Aunt opening up and the situation going absolutely nowhere. It's a very frustrating position to be in.

I am so sorry to be so negative but maybe if you try Al Anon (or another similar organisation) they may help you to deal with things.

Take care

Old Jul 19th 2006, 1:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read the other replies; I'm not in a sufficiently strong state to do so.
There was a wonderful thread on this while back - you may remember it, and I'll go find it shortly. My own experiences are on there.

All I will say now is - love isn't enough. You can love the person more than anything in the world, and be prepared to lay down your life for them, but that isn't enough. Alcoholics - albeit unconciously most of the time - are selfish people. They may acknowledge your love, but it won't be enough to stop them drinking unless THEY want to. Your Aunt is in for heartache whatever she chooses to do, but if she stays with him she will probably watch him change into someone she loves, but no longer likes, and she may even end up despising herself for staying, and for loving him.

The only person who can stop drinking is him. You and your aunt have my prayers and my sympathy. I understand only too well.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376497

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 19th 2006 at 1:48 pm. Reason: adding link
Old Jul 19th 2006, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I haven't read the other replies; I'm not in a sufficiently strong state to do so.
There was a wonderful thread on this while back - you may remember it, and I'll go find it shortly. My own experiences are on there.

All I will say now is - love isn't enough. You can love the person more than anything in the world, and be prepared to lay down your life for them, but that isn't enough. Alcoholics - albeit unconciously most of the time - are selfish people. They may acknowledge your love, but it won't be enough to stop them drinking unless THEY want to. Your Aunt is in for heartache whatever she chooses to do, but if she stays with him she will probably watch him change into someone she loves, but no longer likes, and she may even end up despising herself for staying, and for loving him.

The only person who can stop drinking is him. You and your aunt have my prayers and my sympathy. I understand only too well.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376497
Yeah, there I am on that thread.... And there you are too. Thanks Polly. x

Last edited by iPom; Jul 19th 2006 at 1:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.