Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

seperation - what's it going to cost me

seperation - what's it going to cost me

Old May 17th 2007, 6:44 am

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough
Default seperation - what's it going to cost me

Hi there is evry chance we are going to seperate, as the man in the relationship what is the actual financial cost? We have a babay and i realise that it will cost me around $10,000 to the CSA but what else am I expected to pay? half the ,ortgage on the family home? Or all of it? Bills? I just cant find out? I am employed and my wife is on maternity, long sevice elave and then is taking volutary redundancy in August lumop sum $50,000........ anybody tell me if i'll be able to support myself or am I heading for cardboard city.........as the father of an australian baby there is hope my residnecy will dtill begranted, I just wondered what shocks lie in store on the finanacial front..........................any helpful advice or tips gratefully accepted at this horrible horrible time........................
Old May 17th 2007, 9:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: seperation - what's it going to cost me

What has your lawyer said? I think his/her advice on these matters would be much more reliable than that you would find on an internet forum.
Old May 17th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I think every case will be different. I would see a solicitor to get their opinion, but even then it might pan out differently.
Old May 17th 2007, 10:56 am
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Hi there is evry chance we are going to seperate, as the man in the relationship what is the actual financial cost? We have a babay and i realise that it will cost me around $10,000 to the CSA but what else am I expected to pay? half the ,ortgage on the family home? Or all of it? Bills? I just cant find out? I am employed and my wife is on maternity, long sevice elave and then is taking volutary redundancy in August lumop sum $50,000........ anybody tell me if i'll be able to support myself or am I heading for cardboard city.........as the father of an australian baby there is hope my residnecy will dtill begranted, I just wondered what shocks lie in store on the finanacial front..........................any helpful advice or tips gratefully accepted at this horrible horrible time........................
Mate, been there done that. I would try and make an agreement with the missus before it gets arbitrated by some wench in an office honestly, try it.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:05 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Probably half of assets. Child maintenance will depend on how much you earn, how much she earns, how many kids and how long each of you have the child(ren) for each week. This makes a huge difference. CSA will work it out.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Probably half of assets. Child maintenance will depend on how much you earn, how much she earns, how many kids and how long each of you have the child(ren) for each week. This makes a huge difference. CSA will work it out.
Why does child maintenance depend on what you earn - is this to establish whether you can meet the minimum cost of what you should pay, or to establish how much to take (what you could pay)? ( )
Old May 17th 2007, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

Used to work for CSA (ducks)..I think under the new system its 10% of your income for the first child , 15% if you have two...something like that anyway
Old May 17th 2007, 12:25 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Why does child maintenance depend on what you earn - is this to establish whether you can meet the minimum cost of what you should pay, or to establish how much to take (what you could pay)? ( )
The more you earn the more you pay....

Keeps the little women in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to.
Old May 17th 2007, 2:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke

Works both ways mate - I am getting constant digs from the Bloke about how I now earn mroe than him. He can't have a divorce even if he wants one cos I work hard for my wages and I want to enjoy them!!
Old May 17th 2007, 3:38 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

And also stops all those blokes that try and get out of providing for their childrens upbringing
Old May 17th 2007, 8:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

On the contrary. My sister earns more than her ex and she pays him support. They share custody of the kids about 50/50.
Old May 17th 2007, 9:34 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Because if you were still together then the child would have all the things your money brings with it. Why should the child go with out at one parents house just because the parents cant live together any more.
Old May 17th 2007, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Both the parents incomes are taken into account, say the woman earns as well, how many nights each parent has the kids.

It used to be a formula % of income for kids, it changed recently a lot of mothers get their payments reduced under the new system. Pensions for sole parents also chang july, if they dont find 15 hours week by the time the kids about 7 (few rules around that bit) they get off the pension and on the dole, that was brought in as single parents were able to stay home work free till the kids were 16 . It all sounds sensible but the reality is there many divorced/single parents will be struggling to find school hours jobs (almost impossible) while dealing with a cut in maintence/welfare too.

Last edited by jad n rich; May 17th 2007 at 10:07 pm.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I would prepare for the amputation of an arm and a leg....

It depends on the relationship you have with your soon to be ex ... you are obviously still together right now... Can you salvage the situation? If you separate is that it? or do you both just need a little space and to fall inlove with one another again? You are no doubt aware of the hormonal effect pregnance/childbirth/babies have on women, have things deteriorated since the baby arrived? have you been as wonderful as you should be? Does your missus have a touch of post natal depression? Have you had professional help? counselling? Are you talking about a full and permanant separation or are things just a bit too much for you both right now?

If it gets nasty she will be after as much as she can screw out of you.... but luckily the law whilst making you contribute to your childs financial needs will not usually leave you sleeping on a park bench. Get advice about the legal situation and then sit down and discuss finances sensibly if you can. Be open and honest about assests, incomes etc... Discuss access, custody, visitation, parental rights and your involvement in your childs life.

IF it comes to separation then you have to be grown up about it. Separation when a choild is involved is more than a purely fiancial transaction.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
If it gets nasty she will be after as much as she can screw out of you....
Not all women are that mercenary It could get to the point where the woman no longer wants anything to do with the guy even down to his money.

Not saying that that's going to be the case for the OP. I have no idea of their circumstance but I agree with the counselling bit. If you're saying "it looks likely" it sounds like there is room to mediate.

Whatever the case, try and sort it out between you. Bringing in legals may very possibly screw you both up and they'll end up with more money than both of you.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.