Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sending Laptop to Aus.

Sending Laptop to Aus.

Old May 13th 2009, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending Laptop to Aus.

OH is currently in Melbourne and needs a laptop. The one he wants is more than double the price there. Any pros/cons to buying here and sending over.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sending Laptop to Aus.

Originally Posted by aglassofwinehelps
OH is currently in Melbourne and needs a laptop. The one he wants is more than double the price there. Any pros/cons to buying here and sending over.
Sorry, can't help but wanted to strongly voice my support for your username.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Yep, I like it, and it definitely does!
Old May 13th 2009, 7:38 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Not as much as a pint of Cider or two

Have you tried THESE

I have used these a few times for parcels to OZ including my TRA application / presents / motor bike exhaust and loads of times in england and have had nothing but an exceptional service and very reasonable rates

Piece of pish to do a quick quote also online

HTH

Dougie
Old May 13th 2009, 9:08 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared for the inevitable import duties and GST charges on arrival in Australia.
Old May 13th 2009, 9:12 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how prices compare to the UK but I do know my mates in Asia are now buying their gadgets in Oz, as the exchange rates have made it so much cheaper.

As Dougie says, easy to do some comparisons online.
Old May 13th 2009, 9:40 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Be prepared for the inevitable import duties and GST charges on arrival in Australia.
Would this be an issue if ..........say i sent the laptop in a laptop bag as a gift / forwarding of personal belongings and sent the paperwork through later as a letter via airmail ???

food for thought

Dougie
Old May 14th 2009, 11:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Not as much as a pint of Cider or two http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...07/13_4_91.gif

Have you tried THESE

I have used these a few times for parcels to OZ including my TRA application / presents / motor bike exhaust and loads of times in england and have had nothing but an exceptional service and very reasonable rates

Piece of pish to do a quick quote also online

HTH

Dougie
thanks for the link. It could be a gift, our wedding anniversary is coming up!
Old May 15th 2009, 2:34 am
ABCDiamond

Question Re: Sending Laptop to Aus.

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Would this be an issue if ..........say i sent the laptop in a laptop bag as a gift / forwarding of personal belongings and sent the paperwork through later as a letter via airmail ???

food for thought

Dougie
I tried that once, with birthday card etc., but they didn't accept it. Still charged me.

What model laptop is it ? It would be interesting to do a price comparison.

Warranty has to be considered.

Old May 16th 2009, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I tried that once, with birthday card etc., but they didn't accept it. Still charged me.

What model laptop is it ? It would be interesting to do a price comparison.

Warranty has to be considered.
They're not daft are they - these Aussies

Good shout re the Warranty, hadn't given that a thought. Here are the details of the laptop in question.

Toshiba Satellite L300-1DN Laptop - 3GB Ram, 250GB Hard Drive, 15.4" TruBrite® WXGA TFT Display, Vista Home Premium.
£347.75
Old May 16th 2009, 11:03 pm
Swollen Member

DELL

15.4Widescreen WXGA TF~T Display
1MB cache
Windows Vista
Coloured blue exterior
1280x800 TrueLife Display
4GB RAM
250GB Hard Drive
8X DVD CD rewritable drive
Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Integrated Stereo Sound
Wireless card
1 Yr in house Warrenty
2GB online back up
Standard Delivery 7-10 days

$899.00

Another £100 gets you a better spec laptop with the warrenty

Put that against the £45 it would cost to send it to AU and think you'll be better going to HERE and building your own .

I did it with DELL and have no complaints what so ever and have not had to contact them at all because i have had no problems with the Laptop so far

HTH

Dougie
Old May 17th 2009, 12:57 am
ABCDiamond

They're not daft are they - these Aussies

Good shout re the Warranty, hadn't given that a thought. Here are the details of the laptop in question.

Toshiba Satellite L300-1DN Laptop - 3GB Ram, 250GB Hard Drive, 15.4" TruBrite® WXGA TFT Display, Vista Home Premium.
£347.75
The Australian Version appears to be the:
Toshiba Satellite L300/06X T4200/2GB/250GB/15.4'WXGA/VistaPrem [PSLB8A-06X004] but only 2Gb ram.
http://www.isd.toshiba.com.au/retail/satellite-l300.htm

Looking quickly, I have seen one at $1,045 (£500) but also looking quickly on google uk, I see it for £429 at Currys.

Check out any Toshiba redemptions though. I know that some models have a $150 redemption voucher to claim back direct from Toshiba.

What about this....

L300/06X Satellite L300
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T4200

(2.00Ghz, 1Mb, 800Mhz FSB)
2048MB
15.4" WXGA CSV
250GB SATA @5400prm
Double-Layer DVD Burner
Vista Home Premium
$999

Extra 1Gb memory should be about $50 or less ?

It is still not as cheap as the UK, but a fair bit closer than double the price...

Old May 17th 2009, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

We have bought from Dell before and never had probs with the PC we bought (although I know some wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole ) so thanks Dougie and Louise.

ABC, good shout. I will get the OH onto both of these suggestions in the morning.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

Im going to be arriving in melbourne from Ireland soon. Im staying in a hostel until i find somewhere propper to live and then I'll be sending over my laptop, guitars amps etc. Will I have to pay import fees on this stuff?
Old May 19th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

Was about to ask the same as I am thinking of airfreighting my laptop and other bits over. It's 18 months old. What's the position there?