Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

sending gifts and money to oz

sending gifts and money to oz

Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

larra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sending gifts and money to oz

Hi all, Im a newbie hoping someone can give me some advice please. Daughter in Brisbane and would like to send her some money and gifts for Xmas from Scotland. How long does it take to get gifts to oz and what method to use for sending. She is missing certain sweets, is it ok to send things like that.

Thanks.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:38 pm
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future
Default Re: sending gifts and money to oz

My parents just use normal Royal Mail to send small/medium things.
It usually takes 5 working days.

It is not permitted by Australian Quarantine to send any food stuffs or vegetation-type things (like pine cones on Xmas decs).
If they catch the package, the entire package will be confiscated and destroyed. I don't know about any other penalties for sender/recipient.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larra
Hi all, Im a newbie hoping someone can give me some advice please. Daughter in Brisbane and would like to send her some money and gifts for Xmas from Scotland. How long does it take to get gifts to oz and what method to use for sending. She is missing certain sweets, is it ok to send things like that.

Thanks.
Its perfectly OK to send sweets and chocolate. Don't send anything with nuts, but crisps, chocs and all that kind of thing are fine. Just declare them as food on the customs form. Lots of people on here get stuff like that sent regularly.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:42 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by larra

Thanks.
My mum sends me money from UK to OZ every year. It is a risk, but so far i have received it all no probs.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:58 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

I transfer money to my daughter's Commonwealth bank account without any problems. However, there is a £15 charge for each transfer (at her end not mine).

I also send foodstuffs like chocolate, sweets and teabags with no problems, by royal mail. In fact have been keeping royal mail going of late sending small parcels for Christmas to make up there usual stash! Have also bought over the internet on Australian sites and there has not been a problem.