Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

sending chemicals by sea freight

Wikiposts

sending chemicals by sea freight

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

sidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nice
Default sending chemicals by sea freight

Can anybody advise me about sending chemicals in my sea freight stuff. It is my beauty treatment stuff so it is chemicals for nails, facials, etc and although i dont have vast quantities, there is still enough of it for me to wonder if it is financially viable to take or get new when i get there.
Can anyone enlighten me on the rules or give me some advice.
Cheers
Sidneee
XXX
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:29 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sending chemicals by sea freight

Originally Posted by sidneee and kinnyboy
Can anybody advise me about sending chemicals in my sea freight stuff. It is my beauty treatment stuff so it is chemicals for nails, facials, etc and although i dont have vast quantities, there is still enough of it for me to wonder if it is financially viable to take or get new when i get there.
Cheers
Sidneee
XXX
No flammables,No pressurised products [spray cans] and No caustic products[bleaches etc].....................mm
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

sidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nice

I'll take that as a no then!!!! What about taking it on the plane (but not in hand luggage!) I mean, lets be fair, the fuel on the plane is a jot more in volume than my bits of nail chemicals! I suppose i will have to dig further on the net! Thanks for your help - its what i thought anyway!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:58 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Sidneee
XXX
No Osama, you can't.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Cheers
Sidneee
XXX
Sea freight is a lot more lenient than air, so you can take what are classified as Dangerous Goods (ie flammables, corrosives etc).

However, you really need to take professional advise here.

The relevant regulations are the UN Model Regulations for the Carriage of Dangerous Goods (http://www.unece.org/trans/danger/pu...14files_e.html) and you also need to ensure that the chamicals you are importing into Australia are listed on the Australian Chemicals Inventory database AICS (http://www.nicnas.gov.au/industry/aics.asp).

At the very least, you must have the relevant MSDS's for each chemical.

Bottom line, if you do not know what MSDS, Dangerous Goods or Chemicals Inventory refer to you need to either forget the idea of taking the chemicals yourself totally, or seek professional help (and probably pay big time for the service)

Last edited by Trevglas; Jun 3rd 2008 at 3:09 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Trev, i might do a little more digging but it will probably end up being ditched this end and rebought in oz. Thanks for the tips/advice.

Buster - i think osama has little need for facials with all that hair!!!!! AND im sure the sand would play havoc with his fibreglass tips!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Trev, i might do a little more digging but it will probably end up being ditched this end and rebought in oz. Thanks for the tips/advice.

Buster - i think osama has little need for facials with all that hair!!!!! AND im sure the sand would play havoc with his fibreglass tips!
The Carriage of Dangerous Goods Directives have different requirements for different quantities, if you are only talking small quantities the requirements are not as stringent.

MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheet the Manufacturer / Supplier has a legal duty to supply you with these if you request them (if you use them for work they have to be supplied with product). There is also a legal requirement for contact information to be on the packaging so you will be able to find the telephone no to contact. They are usually available electronically to email.

It might not be as difficult as you think! Depends on the classification of the dangerous good and the quantities involved.

Regards,

Lau x
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

If you send me a list of the chemicals - with the UN no if you can find it on the label I will have a quick look for you!

Lau
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:53 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Sea freight is a lot more lenient than air, so you can take what are classified as Dangerous Goods (ie flammables, corrosives etc).

However, you really need to take professional advise here.

The relevant regulations are the UN Model Regulations for the Carriage of Dangerous Goods (http://www.unece.org/trans/danger/pu...14files_e.html) and you also need to ensure that the chamicals you are importing into Australia are listed on the Australian Chemicals Inventory database AICS (http://www.nicnas.gov.au/industry/aics.asp).

At the very least, you must have the relevant MSDS's for each chemical.

Bottom line, if you do not know what MSDS, Dangerous Goods or Chemicals Inventory refer to you need to either forget the idea of taking the chemicals yourself totally, or seek professional help (and probably pay big time for the service)
Ok in theory, but most packers for the removal companies will not pack them, as we have a responsibilty for the integrity of our job,,,,,if the client wants to seal them in a container and put PBO on it ,then it is his responsibilty when AQIS finds it and he gets a Please Explaine............mm
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to all for your help. I will compile a list over the next couple of weeks and see if i can get the numbers required. Thanks Lau for your help. I will be in touch. Cheers
Sidneee X