Selling Up

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of
Default Selling Up

Just been to see our Estate Agent and decided to drop our house price by 10 grand. We're torn between hoping this will do the trick (it's been on the market for 4 months with no offers) and feeling really guilty that we're about to spark off a war with all our neightbours (there are 2 other houses up for sale in our street and we had all advertised the same price).

We started off really calm about the whole process but the clock is ticking and we have realised that if we end up having to do a validation trip it will probably cost 3 or 4 grand. Better to flog the house for less and make it out as planned in the New Year. At least that's what we're hoping.

The market just seems dead and we're worried that even the price cut won't make any difference.

Any advice?

Abby
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:29 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling Up

Originally Posted by BillandAbby
Just been to see our Estate Agent and decided to drop our house price by 10 grand. We're torn between hoping this will do the trick (it's been on the market for 4 months with no offers) and feeling really guilty that we're about to spark off a war with all our neightbours (there are 2 other houses up for sale in our street and we had all advertised the same price).

We started off really calm about the whole process but the clock is ticking and we have realised that if we end up having to do a validation trip it will probably cost 3 or 4 grand. Better to flog the house for less and make it out as planned in the New Year. At least that's what we're hoping.

The market just seems dead and we're worried that even the price cut won't make any difference.

Any advice?

Abby
Pass.....we can't even decide when to put our house up for sale and were halfway there visa wise!!!!
OH does'nt even want to have a 'For Sale' board outside!!!! because he does'nt want the nosey neighbours to know, whereas I want to tell one of my next door neighbours as I really get on with her and she's been really good to us over the years....Decsions, Decsions....... Good Luck. C x
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shiels
Pass.....we can't even decide when to put our house up for sale and were halfway there visa wise!!!!
OH does'nt even want to have a 'For Sale' board outside!!!! because he does'nt want the nosey neighbours to know, whereas I want to tell one of my next door neighbours as I really get on with her and she's been really good to us over the years....Decsions, Decsions....... Good Luck. C x
Thanks - it's just feels like such a gamble. Had we planned it a bit better I think we'd have but the house on the market while the application was still being processed last spring. Instead we waited until we had the visa, then celebrated for a bit, by which time it was July and the market had already started to slump. Mind you, if we had done that then sods law says it would have sold in 6 weeks and we'd have ended up renting nearby while we sorted everything out.

As for neighbours, word tends to get out no matter how quiet you try and keep it. Good Luck.
Abby
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

We're not expecting our visa till April - June time but putting the house up in Feb. Know what you mean about the neighbours - we've told the ones next door as they're lovely people and very good to us and wanted them to know but no doubt when the board goes up the others will be asking where we're off to. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Ann
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:54 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BertieB
We're not expecting our visa till April - June time but putting the house up in Feb. Know what you mean about the neighbours - we've told the ones next door as they're lovely people and very good to us and wanted them to know but no doubt when the board goes up the others will be asking where we're off to. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Ann
We were going to put it up after Xmas too as we did'nt expect OH citizenship to come until Xmas but he got it last week!!!! so we may well have the spouse visa too by Xmas now!!! So do we still wait until after xmas or put it up now and risk having to move into rented??????!!!!!!!!! C x
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

We were going to put it up after Xmas too as we did'nt expect OH citizenship to come until Xmas but he got it last week!!!! so we may well have the spouse visa too by Xmas now!!! So do we still wait until after xmas or put it up now and risk having to move into rented??????!!!!!!!!! C x
s'pose it depends how quickly you want to go after the visa comes through. For us I would rather spend one last christmas in this house before gearing up for the sale.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:02 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

Originally Posted by BertieB
s'pose it depends how quickly you want to go after the visa comes through. For us I would rather spend one last christmas in this house before gearing up for the sale.
True...we've just been to a local yearly fair tonight which I've been to every year since I was a teenager and it dawned on me that it would probably be for the last time....... C x