Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Selling stuff online in Australia??

Wikiposts

Selling stuff online in Australia??

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling stuff online in Australia??

I am sorting and sifting through all my "stuff" trying to be quite ruthless and unmaterialistic as I leave Australia.

I have all the furniture up on Gumtree, the big stuff. I have a buyer for my car.

But what is the best way to sell stuff like books, DVD's, ornament type things and just "stuff" in general?

I am asking on here as it seems to be that eBay is not as popular as it once was maybe due to the overwhelming amount of ads from Asia?? I recently tried selling some jewellery on there, it cost me $49.00 for my ads and I didn't sell one thing!! How can you compete with for instance a pair of ear-rings from Hong Kong, $2.50 with free postage!!!

I haven't used eBay very much in recent years or done much online shopping from these kind of sites. Is there some other popular site I am missing here?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Selling stuff online in Australia??

Have a garage sale and advertise it in the papers. With the ebay thing - when I look I usually limit the adverts to what is being sold 50kms from my postcode - I like to be able to pop around and see it. If you advertise the area you are in you might get more people bidding.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Garage sales can work wonders. We did one not too long ago, got about $300 in but seemed to still have the same quantity of rubbish left.

We also did one in 2002, before moving from Sydney to Brisbane, advertised it as a moving sale. Made about $3,000, which paid for the moving costs for what was left

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Garage sales can work wonders. We did one not too long ago, got about $300 in but seemed to still have the same quantity of rubbish left.

We also did one in 2002, before moving from Sydney to Brisbane, advertised it as a moving sale. Made about $3,000, which paid for the moving costs for what was left
Thanks guys, I think I will be doing this, I will get into the garage on Australia Day and start by clearing that lot first LOL!!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks guys, I think I will be doing this, I will get into the garage on Australia Day and start by clearing that lot first LOL!!
There's always a skip...
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:07 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
There's always a skip...
My son would not appreciate my dumping his stuff from my garage into a skip LOL!!