Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Selling a house in the UK by auction - anyone done it??

Selling a house in the UK by auction - anyone done it??

Old Sep 15th 2007, 10:15 am
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling a house in the UK by auction - anyone done it??

Hi all,

Sorry if I've put this on the wrong forum.

Just wondering if anyone out there sold their UK house by auction? It is something we would consider if the house didn't sell.

Your experiences - good and bad would be gratefully received!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice
Default Re: Selling a house in the UK by auction - anyone done it??

fab question we would love to no the answer as wellxx
Old Sep 15th 2007, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

I was just browsing online to find some info about the auction process and found this site listing all UK property auctions;

http://www.futureauctions.co.uk/

It may be of interest.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

We considered it, but I can't see really how you would get the money you want/need for your house if nobody has already made an offer at that price. People at auctions want a bargin, they are not going to pay more for it than it has already been advertised for.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
We considered it, but I can't see really how you would get the money you want/need for your house if nobody has already made an offer at that price. People at auctions want a bargin, they are not going to pay more for it than it has already been advertised for.

Thanks for your reply PB.

We are willing to take a reduction in price achieved to guarantee a quick sale. We are also in a fairly unusual position. The house next to ours is the subject to a planning application to demolish and build a block of flats. If the application is granted a precedent would be set, (we should know on Wednesday) then our house is actually worth more as it would be considered by developers etc. The best way to attract builders etc is auction. We also have 2 rental properties which we could sell tenanted to landlords.

So if there is anybody on the site who could offer advice with the pros and cons of selling this way - we have no experience at all - it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2007, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gotooz1
Hi all,

Sorry if I've put this on the wrong forum.

Just wondering if anyone out there sold their UK house by auction? It is something we would consider if the house didn't sell.

Your experiences - good and bad would be gratefully received!
I've heard of people offering up their house as a raffle prize in the hope of generating massive ticket sales with tickets at £100 each! However the raffles had a reserve on them so the ticket sales had to reach a certain amount or the draw was off!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I've heard of people offering up their house as a raffle prize in the hope of generating massive ticket sales with tickets at £100 each! However the raffles had a reserve on them so the ticket sales had to reach a certain amount or the draw was off!
Might be a bit risky................ LOL.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:35 pm
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough

We did it with one of our UK properties and it was very quick and easy - albeit in 2003 when the housing market was rampant and not dying on its arse like now.

It cost 2.5% commission plus the auctioneer's costs which were about 1,000 quid as far as I can remember. I think you'd still be in for the costs if it didn't meet the reserve.

You have to have your house open for a few days so people can view it. Contracts are exchanged on the day of the auction and the whole thing completes 28 days later. We had a couple of lunatics get in a bidding war and so got quite a good price in the end. I was cheering them on but Mrs. HCJ was mortified with embarrassment.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by HCJ
We did it with one of our UK properties and it was very quick and easy - albeit in 2003 when the housing market was rampant and not dying on its arse like now.

It cost 2.5% commission plus the auctioneer's costs which were about 1,000 quid as far as I can remember. I think you'd still be in for the costs if it didn't meet the reserve.

You have to have your house open for a few days so people can view it. Contracts are exchanged on the day of the auction and the whole thing completes 28 days later. We had a couple of lunatics get in a bidding war and so got quite a good price in the end. I was cheering them on but Mrs. HCJ was mortified with embarrassment.
Thanks HJC!

One of things we were wondering about was how much we would have to pay if we didn't sell. We have asked for some info from local auctioneers but it hasn't arrived yet. So your information was particularly useful.

Glad to hear that you had a positive experience. As the market is very different today we would have to do lots more research but it definitely is an option.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

Just had some info from the local Auctioneers. They charge £250 + VAT for each property at auction. Non refundable. If the property sells they charge 2% + VAT.

So it may be worth it for the right sort of property!!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Sold mine by auction last year - best thing I ever did. Signed sealed done and dusted in 4 weeks start to finish.

Ok lost a few thousand but it was worth it for me.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Phoenix
Sold mine by auction last year - best thing I ever did. Signed sealed done and dusted in 4 weeks start to finish.

Ok lost a few thousand but it was worth it for me.
Thanks Phoenix.

Where in the UK was your house and which auctioneer did you use?

Thanks!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Phoenix.

Where in the UK was your house and which auctioneer did you use?

Thanks!
Warwickshire and we used John Sanders from Worcestershire.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Phoenix
Warwickshire and we used John Sanders from Worcestershire.
Thanks again!

We're a bit far from there - South Wales but it was worth asking if you found them to be good.

Glad to hear it all went well for you and you made the move successfully!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Thanks again!

We're a bit far from there - South Wales but it was worth asking if you found them to be good.

Glad to hear it all went well for you and you made the move successfully!
Where in South Wales are you based?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.