Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

selling chocolate bars to raise money for charity

selling chocolate bars to raise money for charity

Old May 18th 2012, 4:52 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: selling chocolate bars to raise money for charity

My kids get them sent home without warning - they just dish them out to families without consent, really winds me up.
Old May 18th 2012, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
My kids get them sent home without warning - they just dish them out to families without consent, really winds me up.
TBH this is for scouts... My kid benefits from the activities and what they do...and the leaders all give their time for nowt....

.and Mumbles knows he can volunteer us for anything without asking, because HIM or me will always rock up... No matter what it is, where it is or how much time it takes... Its just the chocolate... Wouldnt mind if they were ALL ones I liked
Old May 19th 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter shaved all her hair for the greatest shave & a lot people donated a lot of money she did so well. So much easier than selling chocolate.
Old May 19th 2012, 2:35 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

If a kid knocked on my door with those Freddo bars or whatever they are called, there would be a real danger that I would not only buy the lot but eat the lot.

Safer to keep them away - for all of our sakes.
Old May 19th 2012, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
If a kid knocked on my door with those Freddo bars or whatever they are called, there would be a real danger that I would not only buy the lot but eat the lot.

Safer to keep them away - for all of our sakes.
Tell you what... I'll send mumbles round to yours with a box and see whether you can resist... Bet you $10 you can't...

He isnt allowed to knock in doors with them.... Dont know if its in the rules, but its our house rules... Friends and family only....
Old May 19th 2012, 4:16 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Kid used to get lumbered with boxes of chocolates to sell in primary school (like sc's kid/s, just sent home with them) and it really ticked me off. How can you tell your kids "no" to junk when they're given boxes of the crap to sell for a "good cause"?

In the end I got wise... when the boxes came home, we'd drive straight from school to an industrial or office complex (at that sinking 3 o'clock give me sugar time) and I'd wait outside while kid went into receptions and sold the lot in a few quick greetings.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:14 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
We always get notice in our school newsletter if a chocolate fundraiser is coming up with the option of opting out and just donating $20.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I always feel so guilty asking people to buy things/sponsor my child. In the UK I had to say no quite a lot, as the school was forever asking you to raise funds. At least I had friends in the same boat there. I only let DD do one sponsored thing, and that was to swim the equivalent lengths of the Channel ( ie 22 miles or1408 lengths) to raise funds for ASPIRE, a spinal injuries charity based at Stoke Mandeville, where she was born and spent time in the special care unit.

Out here, it is easier to ask- I'm always amazed at how charitable Aussies are, having witnessed the cars stopping on a busy road to donate to the Salvos. When DD did her Megaswim out here, people were so generous.

I feel quite guilty when I have to say no to charities, but I try to help Salvos and a couple of charities close to my heart. OH did the Movember last year, as Dad was dying of prostate cancer which was not recognised until his hip broke. So far I haven't personally done much, other than helping out DD- including swimming some km's in the Megaswim as part of her team. I try to avoid the clipboard people, though I did contribute to the paralympics. What sometimes offends me is the amount they want you to give- $50 in one case!!!!

Last edited by carolinephillips; May 20th 2012 at 10:21 am.
Old May 20th 2012, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've had to suspend my monthly donation to Medicines sans frontieres for the first time in decades due to our own current financial position.... Now THAT makes me feel gulity
Old May 20th 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Gymnastics and school both do the chocolate boxes and I always say no and make the donation. Otherwise, all that happens is that the box sits at home, we eat them all and pay. I'd rather just pay the money, and save my figure from getting any larger than it already is.......