Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Selling a car privately

Selling a car privately

Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling a car privately

I've just accepted a private offer on my VW Golf that I am selling. Sale is being finalised on Friday. What's the procedure when selling a car? In WA what paperwork do I need to fill in? Where do I get it? What is the best way to get payment? I'm guessing bankers draft but this is not completely fullproof. I've seen their drivers licence and on Friday I've asked to see a utility bill in their name.

Any experience/info would be appreciated.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:09 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Selling a car privately

This might help you as to your rights and responsibilities...

http://rac.com.au/Motoring/Motoring-...ing-a-car.aspx
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've just accepted a private offer on my VW Golf that I am selling. Sale is being finalised on Friday. What's the procedure when selling a car? In WA what paperwork do I need to fill in? Where do I get it? What is the best way to get payment? I'm guessing bankers draft but this is not completely fullproof. I've seen their drivers licence and on Friday I've asked to see a utility bill in their name.

The last time I used a Bank Cheque for payment, I was most impressed by the built in security features. The one I used even had heat sensitive ink, that only showed hidden features of the cheque when heat was applied ( hand heat ).

If your concerned about safety, why not suggest your local bank as the venue for the exchange ?

Wall to wall security cameras and easy access to other banks in order to check the validity of the cheque.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

you need a transfer of ownership form, you can print it off the transport website, and you and the new owner both fill it in when you hand over the keys, can't remember the address but it's easy to find. that's it
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

If you take a bankers draft I still wouldn't let the car go till I deposited it in my account and it was available for withdrawal.

They give you the cheque, you give them a receipt and tell them they can pick the car up on such and such a day.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

the transfer form is available in the post office - all the info you need is on it
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
If you take a bankers draft I still wouldn't let the car go till I deposited it in my account and it was available for withdrawal.

They give you the cheque, you give them a receipt and tell them they can pick the car up on such and such a day.
Good points.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Streaks
the transfer form is available in the post office - all the info you need is on it
Thsnsk, got one at lunchtime.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:05 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

My buyer paid by bank deposit....
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

When I bought a campervan in WA, they asked for a deposit first (cash one) whilst we transferred the rest of the cash..

In Qld.. they just gave us the keys and let us take the bloody car! haha! Thank god I was honest!

Em x
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
When I bought a campervan in WA, they asked for a deposit first (cash one) whilst we transferred the rest of the cash..

In Qld.. they just gave us the keys and let us take the bloody car! haha! Thank god I was honest!

Em x

You look honest...well almost.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You look honest...well almost.
I was a bit shocked actually - I thought "bloody hell, these people are very very nice, or incredibly stupid?"... I went with the very very nice!

Em x
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Car sold, money in my account. Deal went okay although he did find some damage that I did not know about and I had to knock $500 off to keep the deal on track.

I got a fair price for the car