Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

It seems very normal here in Brissy dont know if its the norm in other part of OZ...

It seems very normal here in Brissy dont know if its the norm in other part of OZ...

Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:10 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It seems very normal here in Brissy dont know if its the norm in other part of OZ

Originally Posted by The Bloke
... or have to work more overtime.
I used to work seven days in Scotland... Don't miss that
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It seems very normal here in Brissy dont know if its the norm in other part of OZ

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Will be driving by yers tomorrow so dont go walking along the highway swinging that ass,i dont want to lose a wing mirror
Where you going? No where down here for you
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:19 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Where you going? No where down here for you
5 day road trip to Byron and back stopping on way at main beach,not yer posh area though
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
5 day road trip to Byron and back stopping on way at main beach,not yer posh area though
Cool trip. Byron will be busy but not as bad as the past couple of weeks, should have a blast. The 'normal' bits of MB are good, that's where we stayed when we first arrived. A lovely poster by the name of Debsy used to manage an apartment block at the north end right on the beach. Brilliant way to start our new lives.

When you cross a creek on the Highway, look towards the mountains, I may be waving

Last edited by moneypenny20; Dec 6th 2009 at 10:48 am.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:46 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Only 1 job here - but since it includes 15 hours a week of compulsory unpaid overtime taking up evenings, weekends and public holidays I dont have the option of supplmenting my income with any additional employment...

(seek.com *is* getting a bit of a workout!)

incidentaly there are 5 others on the same deal at my current workplace and I'm the only one to kick up a stink and complain. The response, when I asked if anything could be done like employing more people, compensating us more, or giving us time off in lieu? - "Nah - thats how we work around here.. if you cant handle it then perhaps this isnt the job for you? </end discussion>"
You're getting scewed mate. I'm sure it wouldn't be allowed under any award. Check with Industrial Relations if there is anything in Legislation that allows it. If it's illegal, they'll come down on them hard.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
... or have to work more overtime.
No over time only if you go in on sunday.
but seriously its the norm in Brisbane CBD where I work, most of my Co workers do 2 jobs, I only do over 40 hours & 6 days a week not including my travelling.
I dont even know what my husband or children look like anymore.
Well I'm off to bed now, as I have a very heavy week a head of me, good night guys.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
No over time only if you go in on sunday.
but seriously its the norm in Brisbane CBD where I work, most of my Co workers do 2 jobs, I only do over 40 hours & 6 days a week not including my travelling.
I dont even know what my husband or children look like anymore.
Well I'm off to bed now, as I have a very heavy week a head of me, good night guys.
I don't know anyone working in the Brisbane CBD who has two jobs....don't think I've heard of anyone I know doing it over the last few decades either. Not disputing they don't exist but don't think it that common. Only people I know is one who sells stuff at the west end market for a bit of extra and a fireman...but they all seem to work their days off.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fish.01
I don't know anyone working in the Brisbane CBD who has two jobs....don't think I've heard of anyone I know doing it over the last few decades either. Not disputing they don't exist but don't think it that common. Only people I know is one who sells stuff at the west end market for a bit of extra and a fireman...but they all seem to work their days off.
Firemen the world over have 2 jobs.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I have 2 jobs - 38 hours for one job and 12 for another but working from home... suits me well and id struggle without my second job.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

MY DH has two but that is only because he is "retired" and neither job is full time. Public servants find it hard to do 2 jobs - there are all sorts of permissions required and most of them are working too darned hard that they dont have time for a second job (all jokes aside, they really are stretched at the mo) so Canberra isnt really typical. Families are certainly two income though - I dont know of any youngish families where they can afford to be on a single income any more and increasingly those who are retired are being forced to re-enter the workforce to make ends meet (I guess you could technically say that that was having 2 jobs).
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Depends. I work an average week, all told. For years I struggled to do 37 hours.

My wife hasn't worked for 5+ years.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Firemen the world over have 2 jobs.
They love it too - most of them.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
They love it too - most of them.
Every man should learn the joys of struggling to control a large hose.