Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Scratch beyond the surface of Australia

Scratch beyond the surface of Australia

Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:39 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scratch beyond the surface of Australia

Originally Posted by CasG
Has your better half heard anything?
Is she deaf?
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ransi
Is she deaf?

he knows what I mean....
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:44 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

he knows what I mean....
some one say tracky daks?
http://chavscum.co.uk/4images/details.php?image_id=4932
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wengerboy
:scared:

Isn't she bloody awful....stupid cow
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wengerboy
OMG!! That's my mum!
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

he knows what I mean....
couldn't resist
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ransi
couldn't resist
Not like you
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

:scared:

Isn't she bloody awful....stupid cow
Yeh, fancy smoking while pregnant

Unless it's a bad case of wind she's got
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:56 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Has your better half heard anything?
about?
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:57 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
about?
Oh I know what you mean
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
I'll take my chances with my Aussie mates. I always wear rose tinted specs - its called having a positive attitude. Doesn't mean I dont see the problems, it means I get on and work through them.

I really do wonder if people coming on their reccies actually do anything apart from an extended holiday. All the comments seem to be how "Oh it was such a big surprise to find...".

My advice is get on with it, your either creating or solving a problem.

Kiwi
Original! Know what you mean - for a long time, if you liked Aussie then you must be wearing rose tints. There is a middle ground. I find I like Australia, warts and all, I can deal with the worse bits along with the good. That's the key, like TheBears says.

I thank our lucky stars we live in an area where hoons don't want to live.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:32 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bal56
Last week I walked to the supermarket over the road from work at 6pm and a fully blown gang fight was on the point of starting - one guy with his shirt off in the rain and an aerosol spraying flames v. a group of others, one with a bike chain.

I've been chased while out with the kids and dogs in a suburban park on a sunny Saturday afternoon by a shirtless seventeen year old and shot with a catpault (hard enough to draw blood).

I've seen kids on the train on weekday evenings hurling half empty cans of booze at each other other and almost hitting female passengers.

We've had a drugs raid on the house opposite a few nights after a fight on the front lawn involving one guy armed with a crowbar.

We've seen kids within a few yards of our front door glue sniffing in groups.

My wife's followed cars whilst on the school run in broad daylight with drivers almost leaving the road due to the effects of drink or drugs, and giving other drivers the 'finger' at the same time.

The streets are routinely plastered in broken glass and graffiti, and echo to the sound of burnouts....

and yet.....

.... there's still a majority of locals and immigrants who are far more polite, welcoming and friendly than back 'home', standards of customer service are far better, the parks are full of people playing sport and generally exercising, the place is generaly cleaner and on balance, we're still glad that we made the move.

I don't agree that the problems are just the same here as back home - I think that the extremes here are more extreme.

Anyone else?

No! Dear god, where do you live? What on earth possessed you to move there? :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whoever
Yea you really need to find out what areas a good. Usually in Australia the areas with brand new houses are the suburbs to stay clear of.

Have to admit, there is a world of a difference between old suburbs and new suburbs. I think the new estate will go down in history as one of the worst social blights in Australian history - people will be writing books about it. There's been recent articles in the paper.

Most of the people at work in the city and CBD I work with would not dream of living out of town and over there in an estate - they seem to cope with the idea I live an hour out because they know its on proper rural land in a village.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Bal56 paints a painful picture of contemporary Australia, but one that is accurate in many places.

I made the decision to come here and at my age it's too late to consider changing it. I'm not at all sure I would have made that decision had I known how widespread the problems are here and how deeprooted in the "culture".

Working in Oz some 20 years ago we always made the comparison with the UK that there, we would cross over the road to avoid groups of drunken yobs whereas in Oz there were just as many groups of inebriates but they posed little threat. They were quite happy being sick and pushing each other around.

It was patronising, but we would agree that Australia was quickly "growing up" - maturing if you will. It saddens me to say it, but we were very wrong: if anything the place is becoming more childlike and irresponsible than ever. In fact, the word "irresponsible" rather sums up for me the malaise that we see every day: lack of respect for others, the "Me-me-me" culture, the disgraceful driving habits, the littering, the violence, the disregard of the rights of others, the tolerance of crime and corruption - I could go on.

There are lots of responsible and intelligent Australians: it just seems that most of them live in London, New York, Berlin and the like.
Where exactly are you living in the Southern Highlands? You paint a picture that is so utterly divorced from the one I've experienced and from that of my sister and her husband, who've lived in Robertson for a couple of years, that it beggars belief. Last time I was in Bowral, Mittagong and Robertson I don't recall seeing any gangs of disenfranchised youth roaming the streets strung out on Bostik, or litter, or vandalism. I do recall seeing lots of well off Australians and expat poms lunching in trendy eateries and shopping in trendy boutiques - but crazed motorcycle gangs vandalising bus shelters and carving swastikas into bowling greens - no.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:16 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

lack of respect for others, the "Me-me-me" culture, the disgraceful driving habits, the littering, the violence, the disregard of the rights of others, the tolerance of crime and corruption

This statement can be applied to any country in the world, can't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.