Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

School Detentions in Australia

Wikiposts

School Detentions in Australia

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Detentions in Australia

Originally Posted by Sarah17
Maybe "sexy" was the wrong word. Its just when your 17/18 the last thing you want is to be made to dress like your still in primary school which is what australian school dresses make you look like
I sympathise -don't they let you have a distinctive type of clothing? Our sixth form used to be able to wear grey as well as brown skirts!!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

virginiec will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sarah17
Maybe "sexy" was the wrong word. Its just when your 17/18 the last thing you want is to be made to dress like your still in primary school which is what australian school dresses make you look like
Are they any worse than the ones in the UK?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:54 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Eldest bunked off a double period of German last Monday
School contacted me and told me she'll have an "after school" and I've also grounded her for the weekend. Double punishment? Oh yeah! She knows the rules...if you are not where you tell me/ supposed to be, you get grounded.
Never had to do it...but now shes finding out that I do go through with my threats

I love teenagers
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarinsred
Having said that, we were inspected regularly at school for skirt length, size of platforms (it was the 70's), and at the school dance we were not allowed closer than 6 inches to the boys (and yes, our tweed-skirted deputy head used to go around with a ruler!)
We were not allowed patent leather shoes, for fear of reflecting up our skirts!
[/QUOTE]

We had to wear navy blue 'knickers' over our normal knickers - think navy shorts here. So if a boy did dare to sneak a peak at your knickers all he would see were voluminous navy pants. We also had to wear skirts bang on the knee or below, wear a hat to and from school, girls weren't allowed to wear trousers - ever. Ties and blazers were worn by both sexes at all times unless the principal relaxed the rule if it was very warm. The same rules applied to the sixth form. If you turned up at school in the incorrect clothing you would be sent home! God bless grammer schools eh? So long as we looked like we should and the rugger team won, all was as it should be.

Detention for even the most minor rule infarctions was Saturday morning detention. Major rule breaking was punished by the cane.

Kids today don't know they're born.

I've aways wanted to say that.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Detention for even the most minor rule infarctions was Saturday morning detention. Major rule breaking was punished by the cane.

Surely the cane was just a deterrant and it never actually got used?
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:12 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by virginiec

I got the cane twice on one day when I was 13
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

It was used on the older boys every so often - very much as a deterrant. They would be hauled up in front of the whole school in assembly and told that they would be caned for their 'crimes'. The caning took place in the headmasters office - no idea if it was hard or just a tap.

We were also hit on the palms of the hand with a ruler in primary school!!! Mind you that was a nutty headmistress.....
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
What was your heinous crime?
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

What was your heinous crime?
Fighting
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't think people can actually believe that teachers were allowed to physically punish kids. It wasn't 'that' long ago... we're not that old are we????
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I don't think people can actually believe that teachers were allowed to physically punish kids. It wasn't 'that' long ago... we're not that old are we????
I was last given the cane in 1984 so quite a long time ago
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, no, it was VERY recent!! I am still young.

(Blinkin heck, I was going out with my husband in 1984!!!!)
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:48 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

That was about the time it was banned at our school. My claim to school infamy is that mine is the last name on the corporal punishment register. Six of the best for some petty act of schoolboy foolishness We used to get caned just for talking in class.
I once got the slipper for holding my mate up on my shoulders so he could see into the school dentists "mobile pain van" Another time the games master chased me all over the school field trying to slipper me for throwing the long ball back at him after he tried to knock me out with it. He didn't catch me & I ended up running cross country for the county soon after that episode.
All in all a bit of good came out of it
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
My claim to school infamy is that mine is the last name on the corporal punishment register.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

I must have been lucky - went to Heckmondwike Grammar school 1956-61 and corporal punishment was already long gone. One French bloke threatened to cane me - he was employed to teach us French pronunciation - I told him he'd better not dare think of laying a hand on me (I was a bolshie little so and so). He backed off immediately.
We had after school detention - Thursday nights one hour. I got that a couple of times, mainly for being 'mouthy'. I really didn't mind detention: I met all the interesting kids there.

PS One of my sons is a high school teacher - they still do detentions here in Queensland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.