rusty tools

Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default rusty tools

Does anybody know where I stand with taking tools to Oz that are a bit rusty?

I'm about to get my late husbands tools back for my son and although I haven't seen them yet I've been told they havent been touched in a while and are a bit rusty. How much I don't know

My questions is. will I be allowed to take them. OR.. is there a way to clean them up and if so, what to use?

Any help would be appreciated as I really want to take them.

Thanks

Tracey.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: rusty tools

always keep yer tool clean
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey.d

I'm about to get my late husbands tools back for my son and although I haven't seen them yet I've been told they havent been touched in a while and are a bit rusty. How much I don't know

My questions is. will I be allowed to take them. OR.. is there a way to clean them up and if so, what to use?

Thanks

Tracey.
I dont think you would be able to take them..as rusty items arnt allowed
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Thanks

Tracey.
You dont say what tools they are, but generally some WD40 and wire wool quickly cleans my woodworking tools.
Also I would say don't wory too much, AQIS are more concerned with "dirt" of an organic nature (though obviously a badly rusted and pitted spade, for instance would be almost impossible to guarantee "clean")
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
always keep yer tool clean
Yes, thanks for that but he wasn't around to keep them clean and they have been stuck in his brothers shed for the last 2 years
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windog
You dont say what tools they are, but generally some WD40 and wire wool quickly cleans my woodworking tools.
Also I would say don't wory too much, AQIS are more concerned with "dirt" of an organic nature (though obviously a badly rusted and pitted spade, for instance would be almost impossible to guarantee "clean")
Thanks. I've just got them and had a look. It's mainly just basics like chisels and planes etc. There isn't any power tools. That was to be expected though as they always used to get nicked off the sites etc.

They are quite rusty I have to say. Still, will get to work on them and see what happens. My son would be devastated if he couldn't take them. Its taken a while to get them back.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:09 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I've just got them and had a look. It's mainly just basics like chisels and planes etc. There isn't any power tools. That was to be expected though as they always used to get nicked off the sites etc.

They are quite rusty I have to say. Still, will get to work on them and see what happens. My son would be devastated if he couldn't take them. Its taken a while to get them back.
They actually sell tools in Australia, without rust too. Your son maybe needs to learn a lesson that if you value something don;t loan it out but if you do, make sure you get them back in a reasonable time, not 2 years.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
They actually sell tools in Australia, without rust too. Your son maybe needs to learn a lesson that if you value something don;t loan it out but if you do, make sure you get them back in a reasonable time, not 2 years.
My son doesn't need to learn any lesson, thank you very much. I suggest you re-read the original post

The tools belonged to his father who died 2 years ago. The tools were at brother-in-laws and we have been trying to get them back ever since. If we had them I can assure you they would have been well looked after as they will be a treasured possession of his.

The only lesson my son needs to learn is to ignore insensitive pillocks.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:28 pm
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

The only lesson my son needs to learn is to ignore insensitive pillocks.
Is he sat on your lap now, hanging onto your apron strings ?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is he sat on your lap now, hanging onto your apron strings ?

Last edited by tracey.d; Jun 19th 2007 at 9:34 pm. Reason: can't be arsed
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:39 pm
Banned

Er no. He is 11 years old. What is your problem?
You mentioned the lesson he could learn about insensitive pillocks didn't you ?
here's the forum, but I would be more inclined to place the insensitive pillock sticker on the brother-in-law.

realistically, is there something small that you could give your son that belonged to his Dad instead of him coveting rusty hand tools ?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

You mentioned the lesson he could learn about insensitive pillocks didn't you ?
here's the forum, but I would be more inclined to place the insensitive pillock sticker on the brother-in-law.

realistically, is there something small that you could give your son that belonged to his Dad instead of him coveting rusty hand tools ?
Sorry, but I can't get how anybody would feel the need to take the piss out of a little kid whos lost their Dad

The thread isn't about his psychological needs. That isn't something I would feel the need to discuss on an open forum with people who I don't know.

The question was: Does anybody know how to clean up rusty tool sufficiently to enable them to pass AQISs checks. Any helpful suggestions?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:57 pm
Banned

The question was: ?
In hindsight given the fact that the boy was only 9 he would have needed someone to ensure his much loved items were looked after. I guess someone failed in that regard.

My honest advise to you if the tools are rusty would be to firstly get rid of as much surface rust as you can by using wire wool, sandpaper, wire brush etc

If it;s true that you cant bring rusty items into oz then best you can do is to cover the rust up. Go to B&Q and get a spray can of galv paint. This will make the tools look nice and if your son uses the tools (chisels, planes etc) the galv spray will wear off in no time, revealing the original state of them.

Thats my best advise sorry
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

In hindsight given the fact that the boy was only 9 he would have needed someone to ensure his much loved items were looked after. I guess someone failed in that regard.

My honest advise to you if the tools are rusty would be to firstly get rid of as much surface rust as you can by using wire wool, sandpaper, wire brush etc

If it;s true that you cant bring rusty items into oz then best you can do is to cover the rust up. Go to B&Q and get a spray can of galv paint. This will make the tools look nice and if your son uses the tools (chisels, planes etc) the galv spray will wear off in no time, revealing the original state of them.

Thats my best advise sorry
Thank you
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:09 pm
Banned

In addition to using wire brush/sandpaper, if you have an electric drill may I suggest the following page:

http://www.toolspot.co.uk/category/d...nd-accessories

Your 11 year old may have an interest in cleaning the tools himself easily with some of the items on that page. They have small shaped stones for getting in tight corners as well as wire brushes for larger surface areas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.