The road to freedom

Old Aug 1st 2021, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The road to freedom

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
I wouldn't bank on it. A lot of us who maintain the aircraft are currently unemployed or left the industry. An aircraft cannot fly unless a Licensed Engineer has certified the aircraft fit to fly and at this rate there will be none of us left. Qantas in Sydney currently have around 270 engineers from International Ops stood down or offered redundancy so who knows what their current situation is and if they will want to return. I and about 20 others were made redundant by another company in March. Most of us are scaping by on contract/casual positions. I've got a casual position with a domestic operator, but of course at present we are essentially grounded so in the next 4 weeks I'm working 4 days currently - and that could change. I'm getting the emergency Government payment, but if this drags on much longer I'll have to look at getting out and finding something else to do so I don't use up all of our savings.

It would take at least 6 months to get some of us back into the industry and requalified so on that basis the targets set for reopening are of no use at all as it is an unknown completion date. We need a hard date so that airlines can plan recruitment, training and getting the aircraft out of storage and reactivating them, which is quite involved. The same issues also apply to Pilots, Cabin Crew, Check in staff, baggage handlers, office support staff etc, etc, etc. The Government have done a really good job of crippling the employees of the airline industry. Yes, they have given QF and VA financial support, but a lot of us don't work for them but we did work for foreign operators so didn't get any support. Still - "she'll be right mate!".

Jetstar has flights in its website available for next May... Whether that's kosher or not I don't know.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Correct. As I said, there is an area of Sydney that is having special treatment. Special restrictions on movement and work and the army are coming to that area. This is the new immigrant, refugee zone. They are not compliant. This is where covid is going no where right now. Everywhere else has none or a few cases. Their community leaders are claiming racism and whatever else. I'd expect that type of rhetoric from these morons.

Oh and FWIW, Sydney won't ever chase zeros again. It won't happen from here on in. It's a case of getting the vax numbers to a point where we let it rip. If Comrade McGowen don't like that, tough titties.

If you want to check out the areas here is a map.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/find...ng-by-postcode

Seems odd to me that the same Melbourne demographic are more willing to follow community guidelines than those in Sydney.

Just hope they keep the whinging and obstinacy up as its a quicker route to freedom for all of us.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 1st 2021 at 7:38 am.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Seems odd to me that the same Melbourne demographic are more willing to follow community guidelines than those in Sydney.

Just hope they keep the whinging and obstinacy up as its a quicker route to freedom for all of us.
Don't bank on it. The transmissions are mostly happening at work or in the home. Work being essential industries, freight, food production and distribution, hospitals, etc. The transmissions at home have been immigrant/refugee communities where they feel compelled to spend time with each other in the home. There's not much you can do here. Maybe having the army wander the suburban streets might act as a deterrent. Who knows.

But one things for certain, the only way out of this any time soon is a good vaccination rate so we can just let rip, and that means AstraZeneca.

The other aim of the army is to contain it in those green areas from the map, and have all the yellow areas turn white, then they can do a targeted approach to lockdown and let the rest out. Sydney has been pretty good on a targeted approach in the past so hopefully that can resume soon.

Last edited by Beoz; Aug 1st 2021 at 9:13 am.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Don't bank on it. The transmissions are mostly happening at work or in the home. Work being essential industries, freight, food production and distribution, hospitals, etc. The transmissions at home have been immigrant/refugee communities where they feel compelled to spend time with each other in the home. There's not much you can do here. Maybe having the army wander the suburban streets might act as a deterrent. Who knows.

But one things for certain, the only way out of this any time soon is a good vaccination rate so we can just let rip, and that means AstraZeneca.

The other aim of the army is to contain it in those green areas from the map, and have all the yellow areas turn white, then they can do a targeted approach to lockdown and let the rest out. Sydney has been pretty good on a targeted approach in the past so hopefully that can resume soon.

The ones least likely to be compliment are also the ones most likely not to be bothered by fines as they simply wont pay.

I doubt any court in the lengthy legal aftermath will lock them up either.

So good luck with the ultra draconian measures.

Old Aug 1st 2021, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

The ones least likely to be compliment are also the ones most likely not to be bothered by fines as they simply wont pay.

I doubt any court in the lengthy legal aftermath will lock them up either.

So good luck with the ultra draconian measures.
Yep no chance of paying the fines.

I wouldn't know, I never go to those areas.

I walked past a building site this morning and the site manager was across the road on the phone. I over heard him asking someone if some guys who are on site were allowed to work if they were from those LGA's.

Non compliance everywhere. No one cares any more. AstraZeneca is available to all. Time to put a deadline on it and live with the virus.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 1:04 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I assume thats because the restrictions applied to all of Melbourne.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by themerlin

Could be, as it would be seen as everyone being equal. I also am fairly sure that Sydney is more prone to suburbs being enclaves rather than the integration that Melbourne leans towards. For instance in Melbournes North where I live, which is basically equivalent to Western Sydney with it's mix of demographics. There seems to be a broader mix between the communities compared to my experience on visits to Western Sydney. Less of a us and them feel in Melbourne, which leads to a feeling of more being in the situation together.

Old Aug 2nd 2021, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
And because we've had more practice.
And (somewhat) more consistency in term of VIC government lockdown rules in each successive outbreak.
And (much more) consistency in terms of VIC government message delivery, whether Andrews or Merlino was on the podium.
And a much simpler Melbourne vs Regional VIC delineation for differing restrictions (yeah, "Ring of Steel", I didn't think much of it either. But contrast it to NSW's "Whack-a-Mole" LGA-based version).

Vs the NSW version:
  • we want to be "as free as we safely can", or
  • "as safe as we freely can be",
Plus:
  • We have a really complicated week-by-week, industry-by-industry, LGA-by-LGA set of stay-at-home instructions, and other rules that may resemble a lockdown but aren't supposed to be messaged as one..., but
  • Gladys is really disappointed every time people don't obey these "not-a-lockdown" stay-at-home rules, dedicated to safety, and freedom
  • Cuz we were really clear about that (at least in English)
And then:
  • Well, no, our response hasn't cut the case counts yet, nor "time infective in community".
  • But we're insulted -- insulted!! -- at any suggestion we haven't locked down hard enough, or fast enough, or consistently enough, across Metro Sydney, to get our current outbreak under control.
Meanwhile (to other states): send us all of your Pfizer, this is a "national crisis".

Last edited by abner; Aug 2nd 2021 at 8:10 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and punching horses is really not nice. And mask-wearing outdoors is well, kinda complicated. But if you end up on national TV, without a mask, punching a horse, we'll try to throw the book at you, just to show how determined we are... Unless you refuse a CoVID test, in which case we can't do much.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by abner
Vs the NSW version:
  • we want to be "as free as we safely can", or
  • "as safe as we freely can be",
Yes please. We will take structured and proportionate approach any day of the week over Melbournes one trick pony approach. I really feel for the people of Melbourne.

PS, there is no evidence here of any outdoor transmission here therefore there is no mask outdoor requirement where I live anyway - however most are putting one on when waiting for a coffee. Not sure what they are doing at the MCG. Probably pressed the urinal button and didn't wash their hands. Urinals being indoor of course.

Melbourne will be gutted and furious to hear that the army won't be policing any compliance over the next few days........ where is Comrade Dan they cry. The army are spending the first few days making sure those in lock in have all the supplies and care they need. Golf tomorrow. Sunny and 21 in the afternoon.

Last edited by Beoz; Aug 2nd 2021 at 10:55 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Could be, as it would be seen as everyone being equal. I also am fairly sure that Sydney is more prone to suburbs being enclaves rather than the integration that Melbourne leans towards. For instance in Melbournes North where I live, which is basically equivalent to Western Sydney with it's mix of demographics. There seems to be a broader mix between the communities compared to my experience on visits to Western Sydney. Less of a us and them feel in Melbourne, which leads to a feeling of more being in the situation together.

I can't really comment on the differences. I know in Sydney there is a desire to live closer to the city and coast which pushes up the prices, so as immigration changes over time they tend to congregate in an area which is further and further out. For example Blacktown is where many of the Sudanese live. Many years ago the Italian immigrants located themselves in the inner west. Gentrification and time has meant that this area has become quite diverse now. Probably no different to Aussies congregating in Earl's Court in the 70's.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bloody lockdown up here now dammit. 3 days around Cairns right through to Palm Cove. The local Coles at Clifton Beach had a queue of traffic of about at least a Kilometer long yesterday morning. It'll be ironic if we have to go into home quarantine back in Melbourne.

Old Aug 8th 2021, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bloody lockdown up here now dammit. 3 days around Cairns right through to Palm Cove. The local Coles at Clifton Beach had a queue of traffic of about at least a Kilometer long yesterday morning. It'll be ironic if we have to go into home quarantine back in Melbourne.
It's ridiculous. Let it rip. If you haven't got your vaccine yet, charge them more on the Medicare levy and let's go.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 10:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Queensland as ever in disagreement with the official line she doesn't care if we do get to the mythical 80%, she' still going to gift us lockdowns and all the same old restrictions.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Queensland as ever in disagreement with the official line she doesn't care if we do get to the mythical 80%, she' still going to gift us lockdowns and all the same old restrictions.
She is a piece of work

I see today she was having a cry about the Gold Coast missing out on all the NSW $$$$$ over Xmas. Its a good heads up for NSW. No one will book anything in QLD. QLD will still be pursuing zero covid cases until she's voted out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.