The road to freedom

Old Aug 17th 2021, 11:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The road to freedom

Originally Posted by Beoz
She is a piece of work

I see today she was having a cry about the Gold Coast missing out on all the NSW $$$$$ over Xmas. Its a good heads up for NSW. No one will book anything in QLD. QLD will still be pursuing zero covid cases until she's voted out.
Last week she cancelled Wednesday's Public Holiday, today she announced the new date, saying she wants families to "get away for the weekend" - smack bang in the middle of Year 12 external exams in October. Apparently there are three exams scheduled for that day, but the exam board and the Dept of Education knew nothing about the it until the announcement was made.
Not that it'll matter, I'm sure we'll be back in lockdown by then.,
Old Aug 17th 2021, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

physiogirl76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
She is a piece of work

I see today she was having a cry about the Gold Coast missing out on all the NSW $$$$$ over Xmas. Its a good heads up for NSW. No one will book anything in QLD. QLD will still be pursuing zero covid cases until she's voted out.
She will be grilled by the Qld tourism industry and other businesses. I wish her good luck (she will need plenty of it) in educating Queenslanders that living a long-term Covid-free life is not possible and sustainable - as multiple scientists have repeated over and over again.
Her condescending and parochial rhetoric is appalling - and NSW $$$ is the only thing she cares for really: https://www.news.com.au/national/qld...77718a7c764b49. Quote: "If NSW is in lockdown for months … we’re hoping everyone can come out before Christmas because our tourism industry relies on that." At least she is not hiding her true colours...

Concentrate on vaccinating your population - then lockdowns are a thing of the past.

I plan to return to Sydney in October - by the time I leave hotel quarantine mid October, I am quite confident that Sydney will be a different place than it is now and vaccinated people (like me) will be given more freedoms - while WA and QLD will still play their border and lockdown games.

I am currently in Germany and this is already happening in Europe. No more lockdowns and an essentially normal life (with minor restrictions like masks indoors) for vaccinated people. Covid numbers are not really breaking news anymore and hospitalisation is very low. Governments are still using carrots to get more people vaccinated but the stick is slowly getting more visible - I have no issue with that as it's unvaccinated people who keep this pandemic going (and vaccine supply is not an excuse here anymore). Same will happen in Australia - well, in NSW at least...

Last edited by physiogirl76; Aug 17th 2021 at 2:17 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 4:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by physiogirl76
She will be grilled by the Qld tourism industry and other businesses. I wish her good luck (she will need plenty of it) in educating Queenslanders that living a long-term Covid-free life is not possible and sustainable - as multiple scientists have repeated over and over again.
Her condescending and parochial rhetoric is appalling - and NSW $$$ is the only thing she cares for really: https://www.news.com.au/national/qld...77718a7c764b49. Quote: "If NSW is in lockdown for months … we’re hoping everyone can come out before Christmas because our tourism industry relies on that." At least she is not hiding her true colours...

Concentrate on vaccinating your population - then lockdowns are a thing of the past.

I plan to return to Sydney in October - by the time I leave hotel quarantine mid October, I am quite confident that Sydney will be a different place than it is now and vaccinated people (like me) will be given more freedoms - while WA and QLD will still play their border and lockdown games.

I am currently in Germany and this is already happening in Europe. No more lockdowns and an essentially normal life (with minor restrictions like masks indoors) for vaccinated people. Covid numbers are not really breaking news anymore and hospitalisation is very low. Governments are still using carrots to get more people vaccinated but the stick is slowly getting more visible - I have no issue with that as it's unvaccinated people who keep this pandemic going (and vaccine supply is not an excuse here anymore). Same will happen in Australia - well, in NSW at least...
Sitting here and reading news from Europe, hearing about all my family in the UK and Spain living normal lives.... I'm so pleased for them, but as I am getting older and less mobile I really feel that my chances of ever seeing them again are ebbing away as the State Premiers here bitch at each other and everyone promises miracles in return for vaccination, only to change their minds the next day.
The politician George Christensen made a speech last week in which he said Australians have to accept COVID will always be around in some form and we have to learn to live with it and get on with our lives. I don't necessarily agree with anything else he said, but people really do need to listen to that bit. We cannot stay prisoners forever.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by physiogirl76

Good post.

I can barely find a covid related post on the UK press sites now.

Whilst we are in our first week of proper lockdown in Sydney (with golf, fishing, playgrounds, beaches and no curfews) it's actually kind of unpleasant for a city not used to lockdowns, but we do know that this will all end in about 6 weeks, when the vaccination rate reaches the mark.

We would not be happy if the government held back on that promise to the people. They only way I can see this not happening is if the hospital system is placed under too much stress but they have to figure that out. There is no way we are not going to live with Covid

All in time for you to emerge from quarrentine.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 10:39 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sitting here and reading news from Europe, hearing about all my family in the UK and Spain living normal lives
It wont be long here, vaccine rate are really good now, and the situation in NSW will force them to live with the virus, which should then force everyone else to do the same.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
It wont be long here, vaccine rate are really good now, and the situation in NSW will force them to live with the virus, which should then force everyone else to do the same.
This outbreak is a blessing in many respects. Its going to get us back to a normal life sooner. Not for everyone at first but eventually the people will prevail and these power tripping premiers will be muzzled.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 12:31 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Before we start planning our freedom, what is the plan for vaccinating under 16's? Currently there isn't one that I am aware of and this cohort make up a large group that will be intermixing when school returns. I've got twin 13 year olds and would be a bit concerned letting them lose at school with Delta appearing to affect the younger groups more heavily, although I acknowledge this is probably a skewed statistic due to the vaccine rollout starting with older age groups. Within family transmission is a major cause of virus spread at the moment, so would potentially not take much for an adult to pass to one of their children who then passes it on at school and away we go. I think Moderna could the first approved vaccine for under 16's so maybe Government are waiting on that approval before releasing the plan?
Old Aug 18th 2021, 6:23 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tom, just for perspective purposes, over here in the Netherlands, 12 year olds and upwards get Pfizer. I think because it is more readily available than Moderna. The 12-15 year olds need to have their parents consent, 16 and over do not. They are talking about opening vaccination hubs (small ones) in schools itself to promote it and make it more easily available for them. Still Summer School Hols over here, so we’ll wait and see what happens. As a mum, I can understand your concerns.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

physiogirl76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Before we start planning our freedom, what is the plan for vaccinating under 16's? Currently there isn't one that I am aware of and this cohort make up a large group that will be intermixing when school returns. I've got twin 13 year olds and would be a bit concerned letting them lose at school with Delta appearing to affect the younger groups more heavily, although I acknowledge this is probably a skewed statistic due to the vaccine rollout starting with older age groups. Within family transmission is a major cause of virus spread at the moment, so would potentially not take much for an adult to pass to one of their children who then passes it on at school and away we go. I think Moderna could the first approved vaccine for under 16's so maybe Government are waiting on that approval before releasing the plan?
The Pfizer/Biontech vaccine is already approved for children aged 12 and older in the US and EU. I expect that ATAGI will follow in the foreseeable future and vaccines will be available for 12+ year olds in Australia.

Pfizer and Moderna are currently undertaking trials with younger children. Pfizer expects to have results for the 5-to-11-year-old group in September, with results for children aged 2 to 5 shortly after that. Results for the youngest children — 6 months to 2 years old — are expected in October or November. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/26/u...-children.html

While I am supportive of offering safe vaccines for children, the important thing to remember is (at this stage) that while kids can get Covid, they are very unlikely to develop severe symptoms. I used to work in a Covid vaccination centre run by a big tertiary hospital in Germany - and even during our biggest outbreaks, there were NO children in ICU due to Covid. There were positive cases amongst kids, yes, but Covid was not the reason they required hospitalisation, it was usually another underlying health condition.

The best protection for children is - at this stage - if everyone around them is vaccinated - parents, (older) siblings, relatives, childcare staff, teachers, etc. That's why I am in great support of making Covid vaccinations mandatory for certain groups (teachers, childcare, disability, health etc). That's the idea of vaccination - protect the ones who cannot be vaccinated (younger children) or those where vaccines are less effective (e.g. older or immunocompromised people). I am losing my patience with people who claim that vaccination is purely a personal choice. No - it's not, it's an act of solidarity. If you can't accept that, then maybe time to change jobs where you don't interact with vulnerable groups.

Last edited by physiogirl76; Aug 18th 2021 at 9:33 am.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have two under 10 and my wife and I have discussed pulling them from day care and school today on the back of the CHO in Sydney saying kids should not be in day care.

We are yet to make a decision but I have been asking the opinion of friends in Europe and the US where Covid is more in abundance.

We share the fully vaccination status of our friends in the Europe and the US the consensus seems to be send them, they are mildly affected, and learn to live with the virus. If parents catch it off the kids, you've been vaxxed and done everything possible to minimise the severity.

On the flipside we would be very unhappy with ourselves if one of the kids got infected, yet we know sooner or later we are opening up and we will have to learn to live with it eventually and the chances are pretty solid, one of them will get Covid at some point, unless it just disappears which is unlikely. Logic says it might as well be today but it's a tough one to wrap your head around.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 11:40 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Right on cue. Must have heard me.....ATAGI decision on opening COVID vaccine rollout to 12- to 15-year-old children expected soon
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...ovid/100387662
Old Aug 18th 2021, 10:14 pm

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Right on cue. Must have heard me.....ATAGI decision on opening COVID vaccine rollout to 12- to 15-year-old children expected soon
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...ovid/100387662
Won't that move the 70% eligible population goal post ?
Old Aug 18th 2021, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well spotted. However we will hit 70% before its approved by ATAGI
Old Aug 18th 2021, 11:28 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. Vaccinating under 16s is a nice to have but not a necessity and should stay out of the 70% target
Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not really. Vaccinating under 16s is a nice to have but not a necessity and should stay out of the 70% target
Lets see if that changes once we hit 69%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.