British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   RIP dad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/rip-dad-739435/)

carolinephillips Nov 19th 2011 8:21 pm

RIP dad

My dad has just died following a battle with cancer.
Sleep in peace.:(

Turban Explorer Nov 19th 2011 8:29 pm

Re: RIP dad

So sorry to read that Caroline. Although a relief for you in some ways. Take care x

Pollyana Nov 19th 2011 8:32 pm

May he rest in peace, and may you find the strength you need to get you through.

sonlymewalter Nov 19th 2011 8:33 pm

sorry to hear that hon. I did wonder how he'd gone on.

RIP dad

Kooky. Nov 19th 2011 9:05 pm

Oh Caroline :( His suffering is over, and that of his loved ones too, but I'm sure you're feeling very raw right now.

My thoughts are with you. Big hug xxx

rasen78 Nov 19th 2011 9:24 pm

So sorry for your loss Caroline. His suffering is now over and may you find peace in that
Xx

Bernieboy Nov 19th 2011 9:30 pm

My thoughts are with you and yer family right now,i will offer Buddhist prayers for him at the temple tomorrow,stay strong.

Dorothy Nov 19th 2011 9:47 pm

Really sorry to hear that Caroline. I can only echo what the others have said about his suffering being over. And please remember to take care of yourself; I know you've not been well lately either.

carolinephillips Nov 19th 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks everyone. He died in my sister's arms surrounded by love, in peace at last after a horrible battle since June.
I'm on my own here as OH has gone into work, and daughter is having a weekend at a friend's beach house. I'll do my crying alone and then be strong and find the words to tell her when she comes back.

Got so many things to organise now.......

GoldCoastMag Nov 19th 2011 10:01 pm

I am sorry for your loss. your emotions may be all over the place but be kind to yourself

the4ofus Nov 19th 2011 10:47 pm

So sorry to hear that. I'm going thru the same thing at the minute - just got another text to say my dad has been taken to hospital in an ambulance again. I went back a few weeks ago to spend time with him but I'm feeling very mixed up at the minute. I wish I was there with him, but I also need to be here with my family :confused:

My thoughts are with you at this sad time. At least your dad is at peace now and is rid of this ugly disease that tears up so many people lives.

Take care,

Lynn xx

scottishcelts Nov 19th 2011 10:52 pm

So sorry to hear that. Thinking of you.

Take care. xxx

carolinephillips Nov 19th 2011 10:57 pm

Mixed up feelings are normal - I didn't go back to see dad, as he had lost his mind from the cancer, and we couldn't afford two trips. In some ways it was better, as I am the only one who still has memories of him as he was, not the suffering shell of the man he used to be. My poor sister had it very rough though, and I wish I could be there to help her out.
Sorry if tenses are all wrong- I have to keep correcting myself and write in the past tense now. Hard to do at the moment.

Guilt is a big part, but I keep rationalising it. Sometimes it works, but presently I just feel the hurt- for my sister and my mum and brother too. I'm trying to lock mine behind a wall when others are about - I cry alone.

Cheetah7 Nov 19th 2011 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 9743115)
Mixed up feelings are normal - I didn't go back to see dad, as he had lost his mind from the cancer, and we couldn't afford two trips. In some ways it was better, as I am the only one who still has memories of him as he was, not the suffering shell of the man he used to be. My poor sister had it very rough though, and I wish I could be there to help her out.
Sorry if tenses are all wrong- I have to keep correcting myself and write in the past tense now. Hard to do at the moment.

Guilt is a big part, but I keep rationalising it. Sometimes it works, but presently I just feel the hurt- for my sister and my mum and brother too. I'm trying to lock mine behind a wall when others are about - I cry alone.

You have nothing to feel guilty for Caroline, you did what was best at the time and you can still be there for your family - support comes in so many forms.

Wish I could give you a hug, losing a parent is a lonely business and one bloody dark horrible tunnel to travel through - you will come through the other side I promise.

We are all here for you mate.:(

Kooky. Nov 19th 2011 11:33 pm

Don't hide your grief, Caroline. Not only for yourself, but for your daughter - she's old enough to understand the cycle of life, that it's OK to be sad, and would probably welcome a big hug, both to give and receive.

When my Mum died I had to be the grown-up and make all the decisions/arrangements and make sure everybody else was OK (I was back in the UK with my sister and teenaged nieces) and I felt like I didn't have time to grieve. There were times later when I just hit the wall, and the slightest thing set me off.