Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rights and Information

Rights and Information

Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:24 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Rights and Information

Hi there, I have been struggling with finding information relating to my rights as a permanent resident when I get to Australia. I am aware that as a single mother I will be unable to have any support from the Australian government like I would here in the UK for two years and rightly so.
But I will be struggling on a single wage of around $50,000 per year. Out of this I will need to rent somewhere and pay for childcare and medical insurance cost of living etc etc. I realise these questions have been asked before at some point but I feel reposting is relevent at the moment as there seems to be a few of us that are going alone with young children. I think we should set up a commune personally but there you go!
So is it doable? Will I manage? Or do I give up all hope and just stay here in the UK???
Thanks x
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:00 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rights and Information

Originally Posted by Rachie241
Hi there, I have been struggling with finding information relating to my rights as a permanent resident when I get to Australia. I am aware that as a single mother I will be unable to have any support from the Australian government like I would here in the UK for two years and rightly so.
But I will be struggling on a single wage of around $50,000 per year. Out of this I will need to rent somewhere and pay for childcare and medical insurance cost of living etc etc. I realise these questions have been asked before at some point but I feel reposting is relevent at the moment as there seems to be a few of us that are going alone with young children. I think we should set up a commune personally but there you go!
So is it doable? Will I manage? Or do I give up all hope and just stay here in the UK???
Thanks x

Personally I wouldnt give up until I had tried.

I also think its a good idea if you could get a group together for support so you can share childcare etc.

Whether or not there are certain childcare benefits open to you I dont know, but I do think it is at least worth considerable thought, if not a try.

Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:30 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can get help with childcare similar to our tax credits or what ever name they have these days.There is also some form of child benefit
Not too sure though. Have you looked on the centrelink website?
J x
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks x

I'm going with 2 kids and will be earning the same amount. Hope that makes you feel a bit better, lol.

Seriously though, you will be entitled to a family payment and also (I think) help towards your childcare as someone has already said.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:48 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that there was no chance until I had been there for two years? Has anyone else got any information about this please?
I dont know where to start looking, I have done google searches but not found much in the way of help at the moment from Google!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:49 pm
Here at last!

I so want to do this! I will definately go but it isnt going to be easy for a while. Need all the support I can get
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that there was no chance until I had been there for two years? Has anyone else got any information about this please?
I dont know where to start looking, I have done google searches but not found much in the way of help at the moment from Google!
I got all my informtion from going on google.

Doi a search for family payments in whatever state you're going to. The same as pay rates, taxation etc. They all have calculators which will work out how much you will be entitled to roughly.

You wont be entitled to any other state benefits for 2 years.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Forgot to mention. You need to check up re: maintenance as well because the CSA wont collect money for you while you are in Oz. I have rang and checked up on that.. I think if there is a court agreement then there is some reciprocal agreement but not quite sure.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rach,

I have just been in court and was told by my cafcass officer that OH will have to pay maintenence in Oz if he starts work... Not sure about CSA collecting it though, i'm 10 yrs in and they havent got me a penny, personally i think its a load of shit but hey ho,

you could 'manage' in Oz on that but would be quite tight, will your sons dad pay you while you are there 'unofficially'??

S-j x

Good luck girl, you've got balls of steel!!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:41 pm
Here at last!

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
Hi Rach,

I have just been in court and was told by my cafcass officer that OH will have to pay maintenence in Oz if he starts work... Not sure about CSA collecting it though, i'm 10 yrs in and they havent got me a penny, personally i think its a load of shit but hey ho,

you could 'manage' in Oz on that but would be quite tight, will your sons dad pay you while you are there 'unofficially'??

S-j x

Good luck girl, you've got balls of steel!!
I have spoken to Paula another expatter who works for the CSA who tells me that as long as it is sorted out here then the CSA has a reciprical agreement in oz to collect payments. OH has said he will give me £150 per month for our son but he also said he would pay the bills and he has left me with lots of debt to pay off!
I dont think I will see a penny from OH to be honest
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

I have spoken to Paula another expatter who works for the CSA who tells me that as long as it is sorted out here then the CSA has a reciprical agreement in oz to collect payments. OH has said he will give me £150 per month for our son but he also said he would pay the bills and he has left me with lots of debt to pay off!
I dont think I will see a penny from OH to be honest
Surely you arn't responsible for all the debt are you?
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:51 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
That is what I was thinking?

One would hope not.

I do think Rachie sounds one determined lady though and if anyone can make this work, Ill take bets on it will be her.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
That is what I was thinking?

One would hope not.

I do think Rachie sounds one determined lady though and if anyone can make this work, Ill take bets on it will be her.
Agreed PP
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:03 pm
Here at last!

Agreed PP
Thanks...I dont feel brave, strong or determined at the moment I must admit. Just going to get the bills paid and then move from there onwards. Most important thing at the moment is giving Rhys lots of love and support. The visa wont be done until September anyway so have some time yet for all that.
We will go daunting as it will be!
Thanks again
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Unfortunately she might be. If, for example, Rachie was the principal card holder of a credit card and her OH was the additional card holder she is liable for all the debt on the card! I also believe that where bills are in shared names that it is a 'joint and several' liability and if one person leaves/absconds/refuses then the other is liable.

Hubby's names on all the bills here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.