Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Right, did the windows, now it's air conditioning advice I need!

Right, did the windows, now it's air conditioning advice I need!

Old Jan 11th 2009, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough
Default Right, did the windows, now it's air conditioning advice I need!

HI all,

I've got a questoin about air conditioning now.

The house we've just bought has got evaporative air con. We've been using it a fair bit these past few days, and we're noticing that it seems to be making the house very humid. I know that it doesn't work that well in humid weather, but I wouldn't say it is that humid down our way (Safety Bay) just now. I've noticed that while the hygrometer might be reading about 50% in the house when we put the air con on, by the time it's been on about half an hour, that will have jumped to 65%-70% and that seems excessive to me.

We've tried running it with doors and windows open - which dh was told you need to do with evaporative, and we've tried running it with only a small amount of ventilation. Neither seems to make any difference - it's still really damp indoors. Fabrics feel damp, and our skin feels clammy. Doesn't do anything to cool you!

Are we doing something wrong here, or should we get it looked at by a service engineer? The house is only two years old, but had a tenant until we bought it. I don't know what, if any, service history there is. In fact, I don't know how often air con should be serviced...any thoughts?

TIA

r12p
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Right, did the windows, now it's air conditioning advice I need!

As a comparison ours is sitting on 56% (Port Kennedy) 23c inside ,37c in the
patio.

Only way it will not cool is if one of the batts isn't being totally wetted , I would
check that first before calling a serviceman. Does seem strange your humidity
going up if its not working. Used to have that problem (not cooling) with very
hard water -calcium build up blocking the water outlets on to the batts.

Most conditioners (not the self emptying) need the sump drained and the water
tank cleaned once a year to remove any sediment build up .
they are very easy to service.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Right, did the windows, now it's air conditioning advice I need!

Originally Posted by mulben
As a comparison ours is sitting on 56% (Port Kennedy) 23c inside ,37c in the
patio.

Only way it will not cool is if one of the batts isn't being totally wetted , I would
check that first before calling a serviceman. Does seem strange your humidity
going up if its not working. Used to have that problem (not cooling) with very
hard water -calcium build up blocking the water outlets on to the batts.

Most conditioners (not the self emptying) need the sump drained and the water
tank cleaned once a year to remove any sediment build up .
they are very easy to service.

Thank you for your reply. It does seem to be having a slight cooling effect, but where it's making the air inside very damp, it doesn't really feel as thought it's cooling significantly.

Interestingly, my husband was talking to our neighbour this morning, and he commented that the unit was exceptionally noisy when the tenant was living here - he likened it to a helicopter going overhead! We've done nothing to make it any quieter, so I can't understand why he thinks it is. I cannot imagine that it was serviced under the tenancy either.

What exactly do you to do service a unit like this? My husband is very capable of doing most things practical, but when you've never done one before...? Any words of enlightenment?

r12p
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Right, did the windows, now it's air conditioning advice I need!

If its a plastic unit you just remove the top and check that all the batts are wet, an older steel unit you can remove the batts very easy -lift up pull out.

As you have no doubt seen there is a huge range of different coolers,

Some units have a power switch within the unit

If so you can do some tests .
Check sump on pump -clean no sediment
Check water delivery is to every hole -some deliver direct to the batt others have a perforated sump above the batts-toothbrush cleans that.

If you have a hose that will reach that far it makes a quick job of cleaning and you can wet the batts and check if it makes a difference.

Rereading your last comment you may have a rotary (barrel fan) not a flat fan
Rotary fans are a lot noisier (or it could have done a bearing)
With it switched off turn it by hand , it should be silent.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Right, did the windows, now it's air conditioning advice I need!

Originally Posted by mulben
If its a plastic unit you just remove the top and check that all the batts are wet, an older steel unit you can remove the batts very easy -lift up pull out.

As you have no doubt seen there is a huge range of different coolers,

Some units have a power switch within the unit

If so you can do some tests .
Check sump on pump -clean no sediment
Check water delivery is to every hole -some deliver direct to the batt others have a perforated sump above the batts-toothbrush cleans that.

If you have a hose that will reach that far it makes a quick job of cleaning and you can wet the batts and check if it makes a difference.

Rereading your last comment you may have a rotary (barrel fan) not a flat fan
Rotary fans are a lot noisier (or it could have done a bearing)
With it switched off turn it by hand , it should be silent.

Hope this helps
Many thanks again for the very helpful information. I can see I shall have to send himself up on the roof! I shan't be volunteering as I have absolutely no head for heights!

r12p