Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Return of the chicken pox!

Return of the chicken pox!

Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:43 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Return of the chicken pox!

We have had someone sent off work with CP, and one of the staff in my office, has just had her little girl diagnosed yesterday.

The usual health bulletins sent out to warn us but I would like to know the following:

1. If you have had chicken pox as a child, can you get chicken pox again as an adult?

2. Is immunity from vaccination for life? I cant remember if I had a vaccine or CP.

3. Whats the deal with shingles? if you have had CP, then is it shingles you get or are they two different things?

I don't know if it is worth getting vaccinated now for CP or just hoping my immunity is good.

Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return of the chicken pox!

I think an adult can have shingles even if you have had chicken pox before. But its not that common.

Unlikely any vaccination will be for life.

If your from the UK unlikely you had CP vaccination, the UK does not do it.

If you have had Chicken Pox as a child unlikely you will need the vaccination.
Ive got 4 kids who have had it, and the older ones (who had CP years earlier) did not get it even being with their younger siblings every day who had it.

Gems
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:07 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no expert but I thought Yes and No to the first 2 questions.

For the 3rd question I thought they were the same virus but more unpleasant for an adult.

I'll let the experts shoot me down now
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:24 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We have had someone sent off work with CP, and one of the staff in my office, has just had her little girl diagnosed yesterday.

The usual health bulletins sent out to warn us but I would like to know the following:

1. If you have had chicken pox as a child, can you get chicken pox again as an adult?

2. Is immunity from vaccination for life? I cant remember if I had a vaccine or CP.

3. Whats the deal with shingles? if you have had CP, then is it shingles you get or are they two different things?

I don't know if it is worth getting vaccinated now for CP or just hoping my immunity is good.

You can get chicken pox again as an adult - TheVileEx caught it from my kids (I remained pox free, I think I may be a carrier as I escaped it as a child when my brother had it ) although he'd had it quite bad as a toddler.

Here's everything you need to know about shingles

The same article says this about the chicken pox vaccine:

A vaccine that protects people from getting chickenpox is also available for healthy adults and children older than 9-12 months. Children and adults who are not immune to chickenpox (generally this means they have never had chickenpox) have the option of receiving this vaccine. The vaccine is recommended for children aged 18 months, and those aged 10-13 years who have not yet been vaccinated or had chickenpox, as part of their routine childhood vaccinations. The vaccine is not 100 per cent effective in preventing chickenpox in every person who is given the vaccine. However, if chickenpox does occur in a person who has been vaccinated, the illness is likely to be less severe
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Only thing to add to the above valid advice ... is that if your case of CP as a child was "mild" you may get CP again.

Apparently "mild" is classed as less that 20 "spots".

I got CP when I was 18, it was horrendous. My brother got when 16 and was hospitalized, even more horrendous! It's to be encourages for kids with CP to pass it on to kids who haven't as weird as it sounds, as the alternative of getting when you're older isn't very nice at all.

Shingles is terribly painful and can be had time and again. A girlfriend of mine has two or three times, she's a primary school teacher!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:10 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, we shall wait and see. I have felt crook since sunday but have no spots or anything, so thats OK and Mr PP called me to say he feels shit as well.

I have been around people with chicken pox before and never caught anything so am assuming I have good immunity. I do believe whooping cough was going around, we were all offered the vaccine at work for that.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
You can get chicken pox again as an adult - TheVileEx caught it from my kids (I remained pox free, I think I may be a carrier as I escaped it as a child when my brother had it ) although he'd had it quite bad as a toddler.

Here's everything you need to know about shingles

The same article says this about the chicken pox vaccine:
Shingles is hell. I never even knew I'd had chicken pox but I obviously did at some point cos I came down with shingles in my first few months here. Shingles itself is agony, The effects lasted for months, absolutely worn out and listless, and it affected my eyesight very badly. I always had perfect vision before, now its so bad I can't even rely on it to drive cos when I start to get tired I have no idea of perspective.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:55 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Shingles is hell. I never even knew I'd had chicken pox but I obviously did at some point cos I came down with shingles in my first few months here. Shingles itself is agony, The effects lasted for months, absolutely worn out and listless, and it affected my eyesight very badly. I always had perfect vision before, now its so bad I can't even rely on it to drive cos when I start to get tired I have no idea of perspective.
Shingles screwed my eyesight too
Attached Thumbnails Return of the chicken pox!-51jzlvmuqxl__sl500_aa300_.jpg  
Old Mar 9th 2011, 5:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
Shingles screwed my eyesight too

The thing that annoys me most is that the shingles affecting my eyes meant that even if I had gone home and given up on Aus, I couldn't have got my old job back, I was a fingerprint technician and my eyesight after the attack was - and still is - far too unreliable to do that job again. One reason why I'm still here trapped by shingles!!!