Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Restaurants where's the nicest...

Restaurants where's the nicest...

Old Apr 10th 2007, 7:13 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Restaurants where's the nicest...

Originally Posted by ridds
King of Kings in the Valley for Yum Cha (Chinese) or else the Landmark at Sunnybank (get in early for both esp Sunday yum cha - it is manic!)

There's another chinese place in the west end but can't remember the name of it right now.

For italian, I love trio romanos on the gold coast highway at Mermaid beach / Miami - it's a tiny hole in the wall restaurant that seats about 20 but has fantastic homemade food (should note here that I havent been in a few years due to being inthe UK, but am planning to go there again next week!)

Kis Cucina at Graceville is apparently very good, although the owner can be a bit overbearing and over solicitous.
Lots of nice restaurants goody goody... do you find though they are often let down by lack of atmosphere as in great food but main road whizzing past outside or take away counter at front of restaurant or formica tables?
Old Apr 10th 2007, 7:24 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by annqldau
Lots of nice restaurants goody goody... do you find though they are often let down by lack of atmosphere as in great food but main road whizzing past outside or take away counter at front of restaurant or formica tables?
That's a tough one - I try to take the attitude that you bring your own atmosphere with you. Eg Trio Romano - tiny place, yes formica tables (albeit with tablecloths) and on the highway - but I've had some of the best meals ever there, just because the staff are great (pappa works the pizza counter at the front, mamma is in the kitchen and the kids serve), the food is good and beacuse it is small you only need two of you to create a really good atmosphere.

Re these examples, King of Kings and the landmark can be overwhelming - I think KoK is better for atmosphere.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by ridds
That's a tough one - I try to take the attitude that you bring your own atmosphere with you. Eg Trio Romano - tiny place, yes formica tables (albeit with tablecloths) and on the highway - but I've had some of the best meals ever there, just because the staff are great (pappa works the pizza counter at the front, mamma is in the kitchen and the kids serve), the food is good and beacuse it is small you only need two of you to create a really good atmosphere.

Re these examples, King of Kings and the landmark can be overwhelming - I think KoK is better for atmosphere.
Still think a bit of nice decor and view help things along but we can slum it if the food is nice... anybody tried somewhere called Ambrosia in Albany Creek? Not sure what type it is but always full.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:13 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes have been there for coffee and cake

Restaurants / cafes in Brisbane, can anybody recommend a good gym

Still think a bit of nice decor and view help things along but we can slum it if the food is nice... anybody tried somewhere called Ambrosia in Albany Creek? Not sure what type it is but always full.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by themerlin

So what does it do, as in is it Italian, Indian etc.??? Is it any particular type of just a general all sorts?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:09 am

OK went to Ambrosia last night and had a very nice meal.

Was impressed they but effort into presentation had an excellent menu etc. only down side is Aussies can't do atmosphere tables and decor nice but they had the lights on full brightness and aga do as part of the background music.

Would still recommend it though.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:22 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

gawd I miss indian restaurants not found a decent one yet in Tassie
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by possoms
gawd I miss indian restaurants not found a decent one yet in Tassie
We can fly you one down from Birkdale.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:34 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

ok hang on I'll pm you my order

actually who was it who flew a curry from birmingham to USA at a cost of thousnds cos they were missing it??
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:17 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

There is a new Indian in Warner I need to try, but I very much doubt it will be up to the spice avenues standard.

Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:38 pm

actually who was it who flew a curry from birmingham to USA at a cost of thousnds cos they were missing it??
It would be cheaper to fly an Indian in.

There is a new Indian in Warner I need to try, but I very much doubt it will be up to the spice avenues standard.
The one next to the Ambrosia place has been recommended Bol something with purple sign.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:48 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Was it the England squad?

I would love to have enough money to fly my favourite Indian chef over here.... God, my taste buds are in overdrive now...
Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Ransi
Was it the England squad?

I would love to have enough money to fly my favourite Indian chef over here.... God, my taste buds are in overdrive now...
Not sure who it was.

We just nip to Birkdale for a nice English Indian.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 10:17 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure who it was.

We just nip to Birkdale for a nice English Indian.
There's a British shop opening in August just a couple of doors up in the same row of shops..so we should be able to stock up on paxo and the like...
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
There's a British shop opening in August just a couple of doors up in the same row of shops..so we should be able to stock up on paxo and the like...
Would have to be a late opening British Shop as we don't tend to go until 8pm.

I'm still on the look out for the best Italian overall. The one at Warner tried and didn't get points due to infant school height seating and poor service and average food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.