a renting question.

Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:48 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a renting question.

We have just had an inspection (again!). Our lease is due up on 19th January and the agent told us the landlord was undecided whether to rent to us again. We have been renting for 3 years.
I said perhaps we should start looking for a rental now, she said don't fret as he has to give you 65 days notice anyway. So my question is how much notice do i have to give him, as we are now actively looking for another place.

Oh goodbye cream carpets.....yayyyy!!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:57 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a renting question.

Originally Posted by Margaret3
We have just had an inspection (again!). Our lease is due up on 19th January and the agent told us the landlord was undecided whether to rent to us again. We have been renting for 3 years.
I said perhaps we should start looking for a rental now, she said don't fret as he has to give you 65 days notice anyway. So my question is how much notice do i have to give him, as we are now actively looking for another place.

Check your contract. I would imagine it will be at least a month.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 8:18 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

We rented for the first six months when we arrived and after that it was a pay on a weekly basis, so we only had to give them a week notice. This was with a rental agency too and at the time (4 yrs ago) was the norm.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

In Victoria a tenant needs to give at least 28 days notice in writing, based on the day the notice is received. The landlord needs to give 60 days notice (though this can change depending on reason given - e.g. if no reason is given, then the amount of notice goes up quite a bit). At the end of a fixed tenancy the landlord (or the tenant) still has to give the appropriate notice period if they intend the tenancy to end, otherwise the tenancy automatically becomes a periodic one.

For full details, check the Residential Tenancies Act 1997

Last edited by roaringmouse; Dec 8th 2012 at 1:53 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 12:45 am
Account Closed

Thanks all, so looks like its 28 days notice, have emailed the property manager also to ask. But as yet she has not got back to me, but i imagine a saturday is one of their busiest days.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

We are on a periodic and the landlord has decided he may sell up. We don't want to wait around to see (or have the faff of people traipsing through our stuff) so have found somewhere else MUCH cheaper which suits us as we're about to build and are already paying our land mortgage.

We had to give 28 days notice. If you are served with a notice to vacate by your landlord - he has to give 60 days (maybe yours is written in differently?) but you only have to give 14 days.......as I understand it.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Have a lovely 2 bed available from 1st Feb in Carnegie, walk to train and tram on doorstep and wooden floors throughout
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I get the updates from Realestate for rentals and the house we are about to vacate popped up this morning. Bit shocked when looking at the photos as it's with our stuff in! They must have taken photos at inspections then just used them in the ads.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
We are on a periodic and the landlord has decided he may sell up. We don't want to wait around to see (or have the faff of people traipsing through our stuff) so have found somewhere else MUCH cheaper which suits us as we're about to build and are already paying our land mortgage.

We had to give 28 days notice. If you are served with a notice to vacate by your landlord - he has to give 60 days (maybe yours is written in differently?) but you only have to give 14 days.......as I understand it.
I think the 14 days is if the landlord gives you 60 days.

ie as soon as you get 60 days notice your out looking and if you find something you can move and take up available accomodation.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Agent got back to us and its 28 days notice if we initiate vacation and 65 if landlord does, so thats not too bad.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by itigo
I get the updates from Realestate for rentals and the house we are about to vacate popped up this morning. Bit shocked when looking at the photos as it's with our stuff in! They must have taken photos at inspections then just used them in the ads.
In NSW they aren't allowed to use photos with tenants stuff in unless permission is given by the tenant, may be worth checking in Vic.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
I think the 14 days is if the landlord gives you 60 days.

ie as soon as you get 60 days notice your out looking and if you find something you can move and take up available accomodation.
I think that's what I said! Well, it's what I meant.....
Old Dec 15th 2012, 2:13 am
Account Closed

Been to see lots of rentals today, my god there is no rhyme or reason to the price of rentals. I was averaging the 500 bracket and saw some nice ones at this price and some real dumps at this price. One in particular was had mould and as a result the 50's wall paper was hanging off each wall, the place was stinking. I told the agent that if i have to take my shoes off there was no way i was going into it.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

I found that too Margaret. No rhyme nor reason. And I did let the agents know which way I thought theirs fell. One was minging, while another that was 35 a week cheaper was really clean.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 11:28 am
Account Closed

During my rounds today i struck up a nice rapport with one of the rental agents who confided that she is embarrassed at some of the houses she has to show, as some landlords just get greedy (her words , not mine)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.