Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rented house and pool and gardens not finished.

Rented house and pool and gardens not finished.

Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Rented house and pool and gardens not finished.

Hi,
We rented a house with the pool and garden not completed(we were ok with it as long as it was going to be done in the 7 days), we were told by our agent they were meant to be resuming works the friday before we moved in, we have now been in over 10 day and keep getting different dates but no 1 ever turns up.
So where do we stand?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:49 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rented house and pool and gardens not finished.

Originally Posted by rocket01
Hi,
We rented a house with the pool and garden not completed(we were ok with it as long as it was going to be done in the 7 days), we were told by our agent they were meant to be resuming works the friday before we moved in, we have now been in over 10 day and keep getting different dates but no 1 ever turns up.
So where do we stand?
In my experience in Qld, you've got bugger all chance of a resolution.

You can go to the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) to find out more about your rights but don't expect much.

I moved into a brand new rental property in Brisbane which had numerous faults. Technically the developer has 3 months to resolve issues in a new build...and finally turned up to do so about 2 days before that time expired. Clearly the owner and/or letting agent couldn't care less because they don't have to live there and can still happily collect the rent. The RTA were no help to me.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

We also have 4 kids and requested that they make the pool safe as its easy access for them, but to no avail.

Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:05 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

We also have 4 kids and requested that they make the pool safe as its easy access for them, but to no avail.
To be honest...given the circumstances I think you would have a very strong case to issue a 'Notice to Remedy Breach' if you don't make progress soon. That situation could be quite dangerous.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

That's not a pool! Where's the rest of it? That's a glorified spa.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
Looks more like a goldfish pond
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/IMG_0764.jpg
If there is no continous safety fence around the pool, I'd try Cairns Council building section. Pretty sure the pool is supposed to be fenced once concreted..

BTW that pool is going to be warm in the summer due to the size. I'd try for a sunshade over it.

WW
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:52 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely - that pool is illegal and the builder and owner can be fined heavily for no temporary fencing. You should contact the council in relation to reporting that.

Alternatively - use it as a bargaining chip with the agent and "mention" that your very worried about the illegal state of the pool and your children. "Ask" them if its the council that deals with that sort of thing or perhaps they will be kind enough to hurry along the builder

The on the spot fine in QLD if the council just pop round is $700 and frankly the enforcement officers could do with something useful to fill the day
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James516
lol enough to get cool in

and cheers everyone for the response I have emailed the agent letting them know the owner is breaking the law.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:30 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

and cheers everyone for the response I have emailed the agent letting them know the owner is breaking the law.
Just put a dustbin lid over it 'til they get round to finishing it......
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kporte
Just put a dustbin lid over it 'til they get round to finishing it......
lmao, was hoping for some rain tommorow to fill it up
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Absolutely - that pool is illegal and the builder and owner can be fined heavily for no temporary fencing. You should contact the council in relation to reporting that.

Alternatively - use it as a bargaining chip with the agent and "mention" that your very worried about the illegal state of the pool and your children. "Ask" them if its the council that deals with that sort of thing or perhaps they will be kind enough to hurry along the builder

The on the spot fine in QLD if the council just pop round is $700 and frankly the enforcement officers could do with something useful to fill the day
Just before we moved into our house here in Perth, the dividing fence blew down. The neighbour had a pool but wasn't in a hurry to replace it. Needless to say my daughter was 3 so I wanted the damn fence fixed before I moved in - I told the settlement agent "no fence, no settlement". The neighbour suddenly got a visit from the council that AFTERNOON demanding that the fence be reinstated [or at least a temporary one put up] within 7 days - and no it wasn't me who dobbed him in.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Errr no. Not leading up to the wet season.

Ours is about 42000 litres with 50% shade cover and it is never cool enough from now on. That pool will be more like a hot tub. Check the chemical balance regularly as the heat will upset it.

Although, we once had a German exchange who went for a late July swim. "Quite warm" she said it was....

WW
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:02 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

lmao, was hoping for some rain tommorow to fill it up
I've had a couple of Kronenburgs tonight, I'll pop over and fill it up.....
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kporte
I've had a couple of Kronenburgs tonight, I'll pop over and fill it up.....
I'd like to see that...

WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.