Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport from Australia

Renewing British Passport from Australia

Old Feb 15th 2021, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport from Australia

Originally Posted by astera
Many thanks for the feedback - this is a renewal for my daughter as well. Did you guys pay for priority service or did you go down the regular route?

I must be SOL because I'm dealing with complete clowns over there. All documents received on Jan 13... and now it's Feb 15 and still NOTHING. Third world standards from a third world government... good thing we have our Aussie passports so we're not completely stuck due to this fiasco...
Providing you have enclosed old passport together with approved passport photo, you should get notification very soon.(the photo must be approved though you can find out on line if meeting standards) They will inform you it is on the way and that EDF will be in contact when it gets to this side. I'd say perhaps seven weeks in total, max.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 8:45 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it used to work well and the turnaround was fast. Seems like it's a lottery nowadays, either you get a competent person dealing with the case or a clueless idiot. It seems like the latter happened so over one month down the road there is still no passport, no info, no nothing. England 2021 and Australia 2021 are in completely different stages of civilisation...

Old Feb 15th 2021, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the feedback - this is a renewal for my daughter as well. Did you guys pay for priority service or did you go down the regular route?

I must be SOL because I'm dealing with complete clowns over there. All documents received on Jan 13... and now it's Feb 15 and still NOTHING. Third world standards from a third world government... good thing we have our Aussie passports so we're not completely stuck due to this fiasco...
I just paid for the regular service because I wasn't in a desperate hurry for it to arrive tbh. My supporting documents arrived back the day after the new passport also.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it used to work well and the turnaround was fast. Seems like it's a lottery nowadays, either you get a competent person dealing with the case or a clueless idiot. It seems like the latter happened so over one month down the road there is still no passport, no info, no nothing. England 2021 and Australia 2021 are in completely different stages of civilisation...
I've no idea if it was partly virus influenced hold up or what you suggest. Most likely a lottery as well. Forgot to mention HM Passport office requires all passport pages if in possession of another passport as well. I understand your frustration. Then again Australia has some serious issues as well. Renewing my Australian passport on shore was not one of them. No idea what time duration would be if doing it offshore. I think you'll find seven weeks will cover total time. Here's hoping.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 10:59 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I've no idea if it was partly virus influenced hold up or what you suggest. Most likely a lottery as well. Forgot to mention HM Passport office requires all passport pages if in possession of another passport as well.
No idea to be honest - I have included copies of all pages of my daughter's Australian passport. TBH I'm not even sure why I'm renewing this one since it's completely useless in our case. Since it's a non-EU passport we could just as well show our Australian passports everywhere in Europe.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 12:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re an Australian living in the UK then you haven’t even been able to apply for a new passport since Christmas and as and when you can again it’ll cost you $440 aka the world’s most expensive passport.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 2:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you’re an Australian living in the UK then you haven’t even been able to apply for a new passport since Christmas and as and when you can again it’ll cost you $440 aka the world’s most expensive passport.
Ouch!
Old Feb 19th 2021, 9:15 pm

The UK passport has finally arrived! After being approved (not sure what the hold up was as nobody ever contacted me...) it was delivered within 2 days.

The blue colour looks ugly, the font with all the personal details seems like half the size of previous documents so it's a bit hard to read (even though I have good eyesight), but on the upside it does seem a lot more secure. Overall there are like 4 photos in various places with a 5th mini-photo with the birthdate on it as well. So technology/security-wise it does seem like a leap forward.

Australia has some serious issues as well. Renewing my Australian passport on shore was not one of them. No idea what time duration would be if doing it offshore. I think you'll find seven weeks will cover total time. Here's hoping.
The last time I renewed my Australian passport it was at an overseas embassy and it went smooth as silk. They even checked the physical photo to make sure it wouldn't cause any issues later. Seems like they take the application... and basically file everything electronically for you. Seemed like a breeze...
Old Feb 19th 2021, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The UK passport has finally arrived! After being approved (not sure what the hold up was as nobody ever contacted me...) it was delivered within 2 days.

The blue colour looks ugly, the font with all the personal details seems like half the size of previous documents so it's a bit hard to read (even though I have good eyesight), but on the upside it does seem a lot more secure. Overall there are like 4 photos in various places with a 5th mini-photo with the birthdate on it as well. So technology/security-wise it does seem like a leap forward.

The last time I renewed my Australian passport it was at an overseas embassy and it went smooth as silk. They even checked the physical photo to make sure it wouldn't cause any issues later. Seems like they take the application... and basically file everything electronically for you. Seemed like a breeze...
Congratulations. It was within the time frame I expected. I wasn't referring to passports in 'my issues' about Australia. Just the fact that it is the most (alleged) expensive passport in the world is indicative of the way things have gone . I had an Australian passport issued in The Netherlands decades ago. It took three days. I collected it at the embassy. Doubt if so easy these days.
Old Feb 20th 2021, 12:14 am

Congratulations. It was within the time frame I expected. I wasn't referring to passports in 'my issues' about Australia. Just the fact that it is the most (alleged) expensive passport in the world is indicative of the way things have gone . I had an Australian passport issued in The Netherlands decades ago. It took three days. I collected it at the embassy. Doubt if so easy these days.
Thanks, just relieved to have received my child's UK passport (renewal) after over a month in limbo.

I do recall the Australian passport being expensive but I got mine renewed in 2019 and it was very simple. Paper form, physical photo, as mentioned before the photo was confirmed on the spot and the lady mentioned something about "entering" everything into the system, so I came to the conclusion that the embassy takes the physical docs and then uploads & sends everything back to Canberra/Australia for the passports to be produced. Quite effective and convenient for many, especially those who would rather file documents at the embassy rather than doing everything online (from an overseas perspective).

Personally, I just can't wait until my kids' passport renewals are done with these 5-year expiry dates and no longer require these third-person ID checks.