British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Remember me? I lurk a lot! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/remember-me-i-lurk-lot-481861/)

invictia Sep 18th 2007 5:27 am

Remember me? I lurk a lot!

Hi Guys,

I have been off the board for some time but saw the error of my ways and signing in again! LOL Lots of new names but lots I still recognise. Some of you might remember me, in a nutshell..........came over from the UK Sept 1999 with 3 kids then aged 14,11 & 6. Lived remote/rural SA for 7 years then finally had the courage to leave abusive marriage, pissed off to Darwin for a couple of months with 2 kids - eldest had joined the Navy by this time to get away. Came back to SA when ex left the township, he went off to other side of Adelaide. Mooched around for a time feeling sorry for myself, eldest son by this time transferred to Perth and said come over for Xmas! Gues what Xmas 2005 arrived in Perth, settled in Rockingham, just over 6 mths there met a wonderful bloke through work, now married and living just by airport in Perth, got new Job in Freo, son still in Navy.......youngest son working full time and 14yr old daughter at high school and working part time.

My new husband has never been out of the country, so next year we are planning a take both 19 and 14yr old over to the UK for a "flying" visit, it will be nearly 10 years since I have been back, when my mother saw our wedding photos she couldnt believe the change in my then 11 yr old son and now a strapping 19yr old!

Basically, if you haven't fallen asleep by now, I have come back to BE to thank all the people who supported me through the rough times that I had a few years ago, I am back on board and will visit regularly again!
In all the bad times, I never thought seriiously of going back "home" I am one of the lucky ones I have never suffered from homesickness, the only things I really miss is seeing my niece, I've only seen pictures of her, obviously I miss my parents too, but they have got on with their life as I have mine, they have never met my new husband - we have been married nearly 6 months!!

The moral of this story is..........never give up hope, I didn't think a move to Perth would change my life so dramatically! In a job now that I love, kids finally happy and settled, even 14yr old who had counselling after everything has come on leaps and bounds and is enjoying life again.
Best regards to all at BE

Sally

Ransi Sep 18th 2007 5:36 am

Re: Remember me? I lurk a lot!

Great to hear things have worked out for you.:)

Hutch Sep 18th 2007 5:57 am

Phew! That's some serious upheaval you've been through. Glad it's all settled down for you now ... and welcome back to the forum. :)

Streaks Sep 18th 2007 6:22 am

Hi there and welcome back to BE, I'm glad life is treating you well.
S xx

Sheff_Sparky Sep 18th 2007 6:48 am

welcome back!

Good luck in your new marriage! Great to see that everything has turned out well after what's happened.

Sally Simpson Sep 18th 2007 7:45 am

Wow! That's some story. Well done you for sticking it out & glad all going so well for you now:D
Welcome back to the madhouse:p

medwaymark Sep 18th 2007 9:40 am

Was you originally from Kent by any chance?

invictia Sep 18th 2007 1:28 pm

Yes I was, I suppose the name invictia gives it away! Only someone from Kent would know that. I was born in South London but spent most of my life just outside Canterbury, bought a house in Gillingham once but soon back to C"bury!

medwaymark Sep 18th 2007 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by invictia (Post 5325615)
Yes I was, I suppose the name invictia gives it away! Only someone from Kent would know that. I was born in South London but spent most of my life just outside Canterbury, bought a house in Gillingham once but soon back to C"bury!

Yeah, it was your login name :D

I can understand not wanting to stay in Gillingham :rofl:

Kapri Sep 18th 2007 7:56 pm

Welcome back to B.E Sally.

It's great to hear an interesting story like yours that has a happy ending :)

asher Sep 18th 2007 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by medwaymark (Post 5326412)
Yeah, it was your login name :D

I can understand not wanting to stay in Gillingham :rofl:

Hey I have mates there!!

welcome back invictia glad things are better for you now:thumbsup:

Gonnago Sep 18th 2007 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by asher (Post 5327110)
Hey I have mates there!!

Hey - thought the username was familiar lol.

What a story - I wish you all the best you deserve to be happy, as do your children ((hugs))

medwaymark Sep 19th 2007 6:24 am

Originally Posted by asher (Post 5327110)
Hey I have mates there!!

They must live in the posh part :confused: :lol: