Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Refrig Air Con Installer Or Welder which is most wanted in Brisbane?

Refrig Air Con Installer Or Welder which is most wanted in Brisbane?

Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

mobilephone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Refrig Air Con Installer Or Welder which is most wanted in Brisbane?

Hi I am aware its hard to get a licence etc in Oz (A big Thank you for all the info on that guys.) And that I will have a problem finding work till I have a licence.

But as I can do welding as well I would like to know if Refrigeration Air Con Installer or Welding which trade if any is in more demand in Brisbane or Perth?
Or do you have enough of these trades already in Oz?

Also love to hear some good news you have had. I hope and pray its not all doom and gloom.

I am due to fill in my ARTC and I am not sure which trade to go for?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refrig Air Con Installer Or Welder which is most wanted in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by mobilephone
Hi I am aware its hard to get a licence etc in Oz (A big Thank you for all the info on that guys.) And that I will have a problem finding work till I have a licence.

But as I can do welding as well I would like to know if Refrigeration Air Con Installer or Welding which trade if any is in more demand in Brisbane or Perth?
Or do you have enough of these trades already in Oz?

Also love to hear some good news you have had. I hope and pray its not all doom and gloom.

I am due to fill in my ARTC and I am not sure which trade to go for?
My DH is a welder and he's worked since the first week we arrived (March 08) and you don't need a licence to be a welder in QLD
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Refrig Air Con Installer Or Welder which is most wanted in Brisbane?

It also doesnt really matter what you put on your residency application. The job you do when you get here is not cross checked and any BSA license application would not refer to that
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
My DH is a welder and he's worked since the first week we arrived (March 08) and you don't need a licence to be a welder in QLD
Thanks for the quick reply.

At least I may be able to get a welding job then. Feel a lot better thanks again.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by odyssey
It also doesnt really matter what you put on your residency application. The job you do when you get here is not cross checked and any BSA license application would not refer to that
Thank you also for your advice and reply. I just thought you had 1 shot at a ARTC and was worried if I put the wronge job down and failed my ARTC as I belive they are hard to get.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

maybe I am wrong but the way I think it works is when you get here you have to get your cert 3 or 4 or whatever by recognition. So you get an assessment for points (application) and then need a different cert for the bsa application.

I would defo check this though, most people I know are going through license apps but maybe the cert you talk about will count towards it and I am wrong
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:57 am
Just Joined

maybe I am wrong but the way I think it works is when you get here you have to get your cert 3 or 4 or whatever by recognition. So you get an assessment for points (application) and then need a different cert for the bsa application.

I would defo check this though, most people I know are going through license apps but maybe the cert you talk about will count towards it and I am wrong
Its a right pain I know. I think what I will do is waite till I arrive see what the job situation is like and then go to taff .
As I am lucky I can always do Welding if the works available. As I belive its so long winded to get the licence sorted. Thanks again for your reply. Good luck for the future.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

it is a pain, but for us it was just a process. The refridgeration one is a pain because I think you have to part assess as an electrician and then a fridge tech
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:07 am
Just Joined

it is a pain, but for us it was just a process. The refridgeration one is a pain because I think you have to part assess as an electrician and then a fridge tech
Are you in that line of work?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

No - building. But my friends are electricians and gone through it all - I have been subjected to many hours of complaints on the subject.

I did try to get someone to fix my fridge last week and it has taken me 10 days to get someone! scandalous - they must be busy
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:20 am
Just Joined

No - building. But my friends are electricians and gone through it all - I have been subjected to many hours of complaints on the subject.

I did try to get someone to fix my fridge last week and it has taken me 10 days to get someone! scandalous - they must be busy
Hi thats what I thought as no one in Refrig Air con seems to want to chat. Must have a lot of work on me thinks?
Do your friends have any background or quals in Refrig Air Con?
I have my Part P in electrical.
I have sent Cv to companies but they just do not reply. But then again Im in Uk at moment . But read thats the norm till you are in OZ.
Will be going out in May this year.
Done years of Welding and was hoping not to have to do that.
What line of work are you in?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

weldings hot work my friend did it down in adelaide, good money but hard work. Theres work in the mines, another friend just came out and found it a bit difficult as a lot of work was aluminium and he was into steel. KP can probably talk to you about metal work too - thats his line of work.

air con people are all flat out this time of year. Not surprised you didnt get a reply, even when you are here most people dont bother. You are best off popping around and visiting I guess. Suss it all out when you arrive

we do large scale signage - like shopping centres and things. thats my husbands thing I just organise the work with a couple of other posters on here.

My friends do - hes an electrician but did refridgeration in the uk but there was some issue with it all so he is now a sparky. the team I used though were one of each - a fridge tech and a sparky