Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Record recession for UK economy

Record recession for UK economy

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 9:46 am
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all
Default Record recession for UK economy

The UK is officially in the longest recession since records began (see attached link).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8321970.stm

Can the UK government do nothing right? That's what happens when you rely on the financial services industry while British manufacturing (the true wealth creators) are given little support.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:25 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Record recession for UK economy

Originally Posted by mecheng
The UK is officially in the longest recession since records began (see attached link).

Can the UK government do nothing right? That's what happens when you rely on the financial services industry while British manufacturing (the true wealth creators) are given little support.
Rentier Capitalism is a name for it used by Marx.

Credit Card Capitalism might be a term with more modern linguistic resonances.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:52 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Rentier Capitalism is a name for it used by Marx.

Credit Card Capitalism might be a term with more modern linguistic resonances.
Retiree Capitalism is probably a closer match.

However whereas the property owning classes in Marx's time where generally descended from historical robbers and thugs more of today's property owning class has achieved this through hard work and enterprise. That's not saying that the former group still don't own a lot of property but the balanced has definitely changed since Marx's time.

As in all times the youth still think it should be handed to them on a plate (preferably silver).
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:12 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

As in all times the youth still think it should be handed to them on a plate (preferably silver).

Its not my fault... honest...
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:54 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thats OK - the government is expected to print another 25 billion in November and then put VAT back up in time for Christmas. Thats sure to help things.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mecheng

Can I just point out who was responsible for the decimation of the manufacturing industry.......yep it was Maggie again. I rest my case.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 7:42 pm
Banned

Comauver will become famous soon enoughComauver will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by framac67
[/COLOR]Can I just point out who was responsible for the decimation of the manufacturing industry.......yep it was Maggie again. I rest my case.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...ur-528680.html
Gordon Brown's reputation for economic management will suffer a blow today from official figures showing that 1 million manufacturing jobs have been lost since Labour won power in May 1997.

And this was in 2005, so you can add on a few hundred thousand more since we're now stuck in the longest post war recession.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 8:02 pm
ABCDiamond

[/COLOR]Can I just point out who was responsible for the decimation of the manufacturing industry.......yep it was Maggie again. I rest my case.
How did she do it ?

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How did she do it ?
by having punitive interest rates during a recession.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:29 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Preceeded by years of increasing inflation which did not ameliorate the stagnation. By which time British goods, especially cars, gained a reputation for being shoddy relative to Japanese goods.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:47 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Nah - it was cos she stopped school milk!
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:24 am
Account Closed

Preceeded by years of increasing inflation which did not ameliorate the stagnation. By which time British goods, especially cars, gained a reputation for being shoddy relative to Japanese goods.
Car industry had problems, no doubt about that, but an awful lot of excellent manufacturing was sent to the wall during that time in an over zealous attack on inflation.
I have even heard Howe admit to making a mistake and having an over restrictive monetary policy for too long, something politicians are not fond of doing
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:12 am
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Foundations may have been laid by previous governments but it doesn't mean current governments need to pursue the same agenda. A number of successful British manufacturers have struggled to access finance because of the conditions imposed on them by financial institutions which caused the problems in the first place. The government protects them and ensures they don't fail while those manufacturing companies who are not the cause of the problem are allowed to hit the wall. A truly sad state of affairs.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:09 am
Banned

Car industry had problems, no doubt about that, but an awful lot of excellent manufacturing was sent to the wall during that time in an over zealous attack on inflation.
I have even heard Howe admit to making a mistake and having an over restrictive monetary policy for too long, something politicians are not fond of doing
Over zealous supply of money, to stimulate the economy drained by wars, more particularly the Vietnam and cold war, lead to inflation which approached uncontrollable rates. Almost usuary high real interest rates prevented hyperinflation and subsequent economic collapse at the price of bankrupting some over indebted interest rate sensitive business.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Over zealous supply of money, to stimulate the economy drained by wars, more particularly the Vietnam and cold war, lead to inflation which approached uncontrollable rates. Almost usuary high real interest rates prevented hyperinflation and subsequent economic collapse at the price of bankrupting some over indebted interest rate sensitive business.
What's the word I'm looking for...... ahh yes, there it is. Codswallop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.