Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Reconditioned computers/laptop

Reconditioned computers/laptop

Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:52 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reconditioned computers/laptop

Want to buy one of these has anyone done so before and where do you recommend buying one from. Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reconditioned computers/laptop

Local computer swap meet or MSY.

Your main problem will be a working copy of windows... Pretty hard to keep a dodgy copy of windows working these days... as soon as it updates itself it realises it's a bodgy copy.

http://www.msy.com.au/SYSTEMS/AMDINTEL-Value1.pdf

You should be able to get a computer via a swap meet with a working copy of windows for around 250 bucks. I doubt if you'll get the registration number of windows included in that though.. which IMO is the most vital part. You should be able to buy a complete system... minus monitor, a crt can be picked up from a swap meet for around 20 bucks. I'd bite the bullet get a new base system from MSY and shop around for a 2nd hand monitor. Should be able to do that for less than 430 bucks all up.

There is a massive difference between a 2nd hand 250 buck computer and a new base model MSY one, the 180/200 bucks extra is well spent... seeing as most of that is actually Operating System.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:19 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Your main problem will be a working copy of windows... Pretty hard to keep a dodgy copy of windows working these days... as soon as it updates itself it realises it's a bodgy copy.
Or run a free OS
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

Does the company you work for run Windows OS and do you want to? Some companies have a deal with Microsoft which allow their employees to use Microsoft products on their home PCs using company keys.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:38 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Want to buy one of these has anyone done so before and where do you recommend buying one from. Thanks
Depends where you are located?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:58 am

Live in regional WA, want to buy one to do e tax return, but just wondering if buying a disc with windows OS would be better and running it on my MAC
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

Live in regional WA, want to buy one to do e tax return, but just wondering if buying a disc with windows OS would be better and running it on my MAC
If you can get a cheap copy of Windows XP then you could setup boot camp on your Mac. Would probably be a lot cheaper too.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Or run a free OS
You would have to be fairly dedicated to get into linux.

I've only just started to, only because it was the only way I could get my Daughters EEEPC to work they way she wanted it to.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

You would have to be fairly dedicated to get into linux.

I've only just started to, only because it was the only way I could get my Daughters EEEPC to work they way she wanted it to.
I have to agree. However, Ubuntu is quite user friendly. A lot of people have found it quite easy to adapt to.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Had a look at your problem with etax, apparently its coming to mac's next year. So if you only need windows to run for etax may you could get by ahem downloading a copy of windows.... It will run for 30 days at least.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:15 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

there is one other option available - pick up a paper tax pack from the post office and do it the old fashioned way...
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:01 am

Had a look at your problem with etax, apparently its coming to mac's next year. So if you only need windows to run for etax may you could get by ahem downloading a copy of windows.... It will run for 30 days at least.
Where do I download it from??
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where do I download it from??
PM sent.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 12th 2009 at 7:33 am.