British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Recommend TV Series/Movies/Books (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/recommend-tv-series-movies-books-846230/)

goldchoccycoin Oct 31st 2014 10:18 am

Recommend TV Series/Movies/Books

Hi all,

Currently laid up after back surgery last week (just a discectomy and rhizolysis, nothing too major). Got at least another 2 weeks before I'm back at work and need some entertainment in between rehab walking and exercises. So, can anyone recommend tv series, movies or books that they enjoy!

I'm not a huge fan of political or conspiracy theory type stuff but love drama, crime type stuff and biographies.

I have so far watched (not all this last week!);
Game of Thrones
The Killing
Vikings (Love this show)

And read a couple of books!

Any further suggestions? Someone recommended The Blacklist - any comments?

Thanks in advance.

rasen78 Oct 31st 2014 11:13 am

Re: Recommend TV Series/Movies/Books

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin (Post 11457037)
Hi all,

Currently laid up after back surgery last week (just a discectomy and rhizolysis, nothing too major). Got at least another 2 weeks before I'm back at work and need some entertainment in between rehab walking and exercises. So, can anyone recommend tv series, movies or books that they enjoy!

I'm not a huge fan of political or conspiracy theory type stuff but love drama, crime type stuff and biographies.

Game of Thrones
The Killing
Vikings (Love this show)

Thanks in advance.

The Blacklist is good - we lost our place with it though becuase of the messing of schedules.

How are you watching these programmes? If it's from streaming sites etc, and you like James Spader, I highly recommend Boston Legal. It's a few years old now, but most episodes had us laughing out loud.

NCIS
Sons of Anarchy
Chuck
Law & Order: Criminal Intent

goldchoccycoin Oct 31st 2014 11:27 am

Thanks! I love L&O: CI and NCIS. Haven't heard of Chuck, will look into it. Sons of Anarchy looks great just never seemed to be home when it was on. Will see if I can download from the beginning.

Cheers!

spouse of scouse Oct 31st 2014 11:34 am

Hi all,

Game of Thrones
The Killing
Vikings (Love this show)

Thanks in advance.

Most of the stuff I'm watching currently is as old as the hills, so probably won't appeal. Have recently got dvd sets of Rebus and New Tricks - oldies but goodies. Also got Scouse the complete set of Mrs Brown's Boys - great for a laugh :lol:

Best of luck for a rapid and trouble free recovery. I had an L2/L3 discectomy earlier this year for a large disc herniation, recovery was trouble free except for some damage to nerves. Keep resting up and getting lots of sleep :starsmile:

scottishcelts Oct 31st 2014 12:59 pm

Hi all,

Game of Thrones
The Killing
Vikings (Love this show)

Thanks in advance.

If you have a Nook or whatever, I recommend James Herbert's Rats, Lair & Domain trilogy. If this is too squeamish for you, can't go wrong with a good old Ben Elton novel - try Popcorn or Blind Faith.

GarryP Oct 31st 2014 8:48 pm

So, can anyone recommend tv series, movies or books that they enjoy!

Orphan Black - two series available, should keep you quiet

goldchoccycoin Oct 31st 2014 10:27 pm

Thanks Spouse of Scouse, Scottishcelts and GarryP, some good suggestions for me to investigate! I don't usually get time to watch much TV/read so I'm looking at it as an opportunity to find some great series/authors.

Have just finished Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan (Book 2 in a series) which I recommend if you like Game of Thrones/Raymond Feist/Robin Hobb type books.

Thanks again.

goldchoccycoin Oct 31st 2014 10:27 pm

Thanks Spouse of Scouse, Scottishcelts and GarryP, some good suggestions for me to investigate! I don't usually get time to watch much TV/read so I'm looking at it as an opportunity to find some great series/authors.

Have just finished Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan (Book 2 in a series) which I recommend if you like Game of Thrones/Raymond Feist/Robin Hobb type books.

Thanks again.

carolinephillips Oct 31st 2014 11:02 pm

Life on Mars, series 1.
For comedy, Father Ted. (My OH calls me Mrs Doyle as I am always making tea and have a tendency to fall over unexpectedly.)

spouse of scouse Oct 31st 2014 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 11457752)
Life on Mars, series 1.
For comedy, Father Ted. (My OH calls me Mrs Doyle as I am always making tea and have a tendency to fall over unexpectedly.)

Have a cup of tea, Caroline.
G'worn.
Oh g'worn.
G'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn......

irishbloo Nov 1st 2014 12:16 am

Have you watched House of Cards or Wallander.Both very good.
Hope you recover well.

Beoz Nov 1st 2014 12:18 am

Hi all,

Game of Thrones
The Killing
Vikings (Love this show)

Thanks in advance.

Homeland. But it may not fit in the conspiracy theory criteria. Good luck with the back.

spouse of scouse Nov 1st 2014 1:59 am

Originally Posted by irishbloo (Post 11457809)
Have you watched House of Cards or Wallander.Both very good.
Hope you recover well.

I like Wallander. Very dark, just the kind of crime drama I like.

carolinephillips Nov 1st 2014 9:01 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11457780)
Have a cup of tea, Caroline.
G'worn.
Oh g'worn.
G'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn g'worn......

Having one as I type. Want one???

spouse of scouse Nov 1st 2014 10:20 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 11458015)
Having one as I type. Want one???

I'll say yes, to save you from having to type g'worn a hundred times :lol: