Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recommend a keyboard?

Recommend a keyboard?

Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:53 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommend a keyboard?

On the subject of music lessons (see other thread with broke guitar man offering lessons, please give him your custom!), I'm thinking of buying a keyboard to learn a bit if piano method. Essentially I need something that's easy to practice on. I have an amplifier for my guitar so I'm happy to get one without built-in amp.

Can someone recommend a good value electric keyboard? It seems there are about 2 billion different models of Cassio. I'd probably like one with a piano action, but I think that'll wait until I'm able to play a bit. What do I start with?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:37 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend a keyboard?

I bought my wife one of these about a year ago. She can already play piano but we wanted something smaller for our old apartment:

http://www.yamahap85.com/yamaha-p-85.html

It has a full sized keyboard with proper action, and it is recognised as having a pretty realistic sound too.

RRP was $900 but I emailed the store and asked them would they do it for $800 as I'd seen an ad on the internet (which I hadn't). They said "no problem". So I asked for a free stand and piano stool and got that too !

This might be a little bit more than you're looknig to spend but you might find that the extra $$$, better sound and proper action all go a little bit further to help you practice.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 5:04 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I bought my wife one of these about a year ago. She can already play piano but we wanted something smaller for our old apartment:

http://www.yamahap85.com/yamaha-p-85.html

It has a full sized keyboard with proper action, and it is recognised as having a pretty realistic sound too.

RRP was $900 but I emailed the store and asked them would they do it for $800 as I'd seen an ad on the internet (which I hadn't). They said "no problem". So I asked for a free stand and piano stool and got that too !

This might be a little bit more than you're looknig to spend but you might find that the extra $$$, better sound and proper action all go a little bit further to help you practice.
That looks great, but as you say, a tad pricey if i can't keep myself at it and learn to play the thing. But I'll definitely put it on the list for the future. Thanks.

I'm still open to suggestions for a good cheap option that is worth considering?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Burbage
That looks great, but as you say, a tad pricey if i can't keep myself at it and learn to play the thing. But I'll definitely put it on the list for the future. Thanks.

I'm still open to suggestions for a good cheap option that is worth considering?
If you were down this way I would suggest you look at our one. I bought it for my daughter a few years ago, but she hasn't touched it for a couple of years.. It's a Casio LK-35, excellent for learning apparently, but it needs a person who wants to learn sitting at it !

There must be more than one model of that model number, this is more like ours:

Now I have thought about it, and seen the ebay prices. $200 secondhand.. I think I'll put it on ebay for her...