Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recipe needed for sauce-filled bread

Recipe needed for sauce-filled bread

Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:05 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recipe needed for sauce-filled bread

I went to a bbq last year and the host had a couple of loaves of bread filled with a thick creamy sauce. The one I distinctly remember was the one with salmon (iirc the other was not fish) and it apparently consisted of creme fraiche, cream and salmon.

The top of the loaf was sliced off and some but not all of the bread removed, then the inside was filled with the concoction. The idea was to rip pieces of bread off and dip it in the sauce.

I remember it being absolutely heaven and with my birthday rapidly approaching, I wanted to do something a bit different.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:14 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recipe needed for sauce-filled bread

Originally Posted by Dried Graze
I went to a bbq last year and the host had a couple of loaves of bread filled with a thick creamy sauce. The one I distinctly remember was the one with salmon (iirc the other was not fish) and it apparently consisted of creme fraiche, cream and salmon.

The top of the loaf was sliced off and some but not all of the bread removed, then the inside was filled with the concoction. The idea was to rip pieces of bread off and dip it in the sauce.

I remember it being absolutely heaven and with my birthday rapidly approaching, I wanted to do something a bit different.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
Start with sourdough bread. the basic "dip" I make with sour cream, then any item you wish such as salmon, crab, prawns or even just a simple onion soup mix. When you cut the guts from the bread, slice it into chunks to be used to dip into the loaf.
A more fancy way would be to get a normal bakery unsliced loaf, slice all of the crusts off then carefully carve the inside out so you end up with something like a hollow house brick. Take this and brown each side by frying in a frying pan with some olive oil. Let cool then fill as you want.

I remember first having this dip in canada and it was made using sourcream, onion soup mix and chopped spinach. The best spinach to use is frozen chopped spinach. Its quite a nice dip. Do google search for sourdough dips, youll find plenty of recipe's

Last edited by Luke I Amyofath; Nov 18th 2007 at 5:28 am.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 6:09 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Or you could buy a cob loaf. Cut off top, scoop out middle, brush inside with a good olive oil then pop into hot oven for 10 mins or so to crisp the case.
Fill with layers of salami, mortadello,mozzarella, tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, with a couple of basil leaves tucked into each slice. Takes about 3 repeats of layers to fill. Replace top, wrap very tightly in a couple of pieces of Gladwrap or similar, place in fridge overnight with heavy breadboard on top.
Best thing about this is that you can do it the day before. Feeds about 12.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 6:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I make a dark rye or pumpernickle in a round shape, but a good bakery should carry round breads. Cut off the top like you would a pumpkin (jack-o-lantern) and scoop out the insides. Cut into cubes.

Dip recipe:

1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp. garlic powder or 3 cloves garlic, minced
MIX all ingredients; cover. Refrigerate several hours or until chilled

Fill the hollowed out bread with dip and use the cubes of bread or crackers to scoop it out.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips and recipes. Now I have an idea I can get creative.