Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Reasonable rent increases

Reasonable rent increases

Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Reasonable rent increases

A friend has asked me to check her rental contract and until I see it this weekend I thought I would ask this. Her agent has recently changed and the new one is increasing her weekly rent from $375 to $450. An increase of $75 seems steep to me. Are there guidelines to the percentage of rent increase allowed? I've looked at REIWA's website but the FAQs don't help me.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reasonable rent increases

I thought it was a maximum of 5% in any 6 month period
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
A friend has asked me to check her rental contract and until I see it this weekend I thought I would ask this. Her agent has recently changed and the new one is increasing her weekly rent from $375 to $450. An increase of $75 seems steep to me. Are there guidelines to the percentage of rent increase allowed? I've looked at REIWA's website but the FAQs don't help me.
Seems very steep indeed. I have no idea about the law though sorry.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

Depends if your friend was paying under market value. If the increase puts the rent at market value then I believe that is ok.

Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMFC
Depends if your friend was paying under market value. If the increase puts the rent at market value then I believe that is ok.

Who says whats market value on rent? Oh yeah, the real estate agents.

I believe 6% increase every 12 to 18 months is about normal. But also a rip off.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:24 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think an increase of 20 odd % is legal or justified regardless of the market.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Well that's sufficient feedback for me to give REIWA a call but I'll hold off until I see my friend's tenancy contract at the weekend.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's sufficient feedback for me to give REIWA a call but I'll hold off until I see my friend's tenancy contract at the weekend.
Checking what the equivalent of the Residential Tenancies Act is in WA would be the first place to look. Any clauses in the tenancy that contradicts the Act would be unenforceable.

An increase from $1,625 to $1,950/month would seem unreasonable in my opinion. Potentially an attempt to encourage the tenant to leave.

Last edited by roaringmouse; Feb 16th 2012 at 11:55 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I checked for SA and was told there was no official amount. They said that they can look at what other simular properties in the area are being rented at and change it to simular.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the landlord can charge what he wants, whether it is market rate or not?

If you don't like the rent, then move somewhere else.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Hardly a fair solution when someone is living in this place. Home ownership is not a possibility for everyone. Having to move to another property because you have a greedy landlord is not good.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Hardly a fair solution when someone is living in this place. Home ownership is not a possibility for everyone. Having to move to another property because you have a greedy landlord is not good.
Not good but there it is.

We live in a world of free choice.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu

When the contract has expired yes. I believe that the lease has some time to go and that the new agency has brought in the rent increase.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

When the contract has expired yes. I believe that the lease has some time to go and that the new agency has brought in the rent increase.
Then that's not fair, and would a normal rental lease allow for this?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

We're speculating here and I would need to see her contract first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.