Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Really stupid tax question

Really stupid tax question

Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Really stupid tax question

OK I'm 99.9999% sure this is a daft question but it's one I can't seem to find the answer to apart from in my head. My daughter is 15 and works a few hours a week. She doesn't pay tax on her earning. Am I right in assuming I don't have to complete a tax return for her?

There's a part of my brain that says maybe the ATO want the details of her work anyway
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:04 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really stupid tax question

Not a stupid question at all!

Possibly the answer is no because no tax has been paid but it is not as simple as that if a payment summary is issued with reportable FBT etc.

Anyway go here and follow the questions - this will allow you to know for sure

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/16131.htm

Let me know if you have any questions
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Not a stupid question at all!

Possibly the answer is no because no tax has been paid but it is not as simple as that if a payment summary is issued with reportable FBT etc.

Anyway go here and follow the questions - this will allow you to know for sure

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/16131.htm

Let me know if you have any questions
Thanks Sandra. That was the section I had looked for but not found - obviously having a 15 year old look as opposed to a Mother's look No she doesn't so that leaves me two to do. Joy!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:13 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Thanks Sandra. That was the section I had looked for but not found - obviously having a 15 year old look as opposed to a Mother's look No she doesn't so that leaves me two to do. Joy!
I have had hubby's and mine to do for the last few years then three with son's but like you the daugther's did not qualify this year.

Now I am getting a tax accountant for mine this year as hopefully I can gain on some overseas travel.

Enjoy Your tax Returns!