Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rant - How make friends with your new neighbours

Rant - How make friends with your new neighbours

Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

haunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the rough
Default Rant - How make friends with your new neighbours

- or how NOT to.

Yes you have bought a house - good for you.

Yes I understand it needs gutting out completely, but is it really necessary to have a fire going in the garden for 4 ****ing days straight and then continue to knock the crap out of your house house at 11pm?
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rant - How make friends with your new neighbours

We had a lot of trouble with noise when our neighbours built a new house recently. Our local council has regulations about when tradesmen are allowed to work, I think it's 7 am to 7 pm, Monday-Saturday. I think that applies to using noisy equipment, eg they are allowed on-site earlier to set up for the day. When the tradesmen worked outside those hours, I had to ring up the security section at the council and they sent a patrol car around, asked the workers to stop and then reported to the Environmental Health dept at the council. So, ring your council and tell them what's happening and encourage your other neighbours to do the same.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HelenTD
We had a lot of trouble with noise when our neighbours built a new house recently. Our local council has regulations about when tradesmen are allowed to work, I think it's 7 am to 7 pm, Monday-Saturday. I think that applies to using noisy equipment, eg they are allowed on-site earlier to set up for the day. When the tradesmen worked outside those hours, I had to ring up the security section at the council and they sent a patrol car around, asked the workers to stop and then reported to the Environmental Health dept at the council. So, ring your council and tell them what's happening and encourage your other neighbours to do the same.
thats for paid tradies,if ur doing the work yourself or a mate is helping out ,i dont think the same rule applies.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:04 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donna
thats for paid tradies,if ur doing the work yourself or a mate is helping out ,i dont think the same rule applies.
Yes, but I do know from many years back (so this could have changed) that Brisbane City Council had a 11pm curfew on the use of power tools, no matter who was using them
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Yes, but I do know from many years back (so this could have changed) that Brisbane City Council had a 11pm curfew on the use of power tools, no matter who was using them
think thats probably still the same ,but i was responding to the 7am 7pm mon to sat comment.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Our council only permits power tools to be used for a maximum of 2 hours during the set time period, and the rules apply to DIYers as well as paid tradesmen. There are other restrictions on building noise and materials used as well, eg fumes. People are not allowed to burn stuff in their gardens, either. It's scary to think what they might be burning, as there are some very dodgy building materials around, eg asbestos. Unfortunately it's one of those issues that can vary a lot from one council area to another. So, Haunted, I'd still give your council a call.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

9pm curfew here in Vic
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:42 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Rant - How make friends with your new neighbours

Originally Posted by Petals
9pm curfew here in Vic
I think that depends on the council.

When we were building in Kingston council area we were allowed to work from 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on Saturday and not at all on Sundays.

As the next door neighbour had his own power tools going all hours of day and night we chose to ignore these hours except with regard to really loud tools eg angle grinders and electric planers and we had no complaints.

BB
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

Not exactly the same but similar. The businesses near where we live like to empty their bottles into the bottle bin 3 times a night/morning at all hours. Why on earth do they do it at 3am....they're clearly not open and haven't been for hours!!!!

Also have a neighbour who thinks it's the norm to have a guitar with an amp in an apartment building......maybe it wouldn't be so bad if he could actually play well
Old Aug 13th 2010, 1:45 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Any fire regulations within town limits you can use?
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Is it worth stirring things up - you'll have to live next to them, possibly for a long time so I'd either put up with it for a bit or have a gentle word. If no good, then try more formal approach.