A rant

Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:25 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A rant

This thread cracks me up

The first winter my mum came to visit us we told her it would be cold, but she still took shorts, t-shirts and suntan lotion then complained about the cold

Then when we built a house we had such an argument with the builder who said that double glazing would be too heavy for the walls. When we won that argument he tried to argue against insulating the floors, ceiling and walls as we had already passed the energy efficiency test with just the windows Ah happy days
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Stop your whingin for goodness sake & move further north if it bothers you that much!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mika24me
Then when we built a house we had such an argument with the builder who said that double glazing would be too heavy for the walls....
...and that one sentence sums up Oz building standards !!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: A rant

As my (double brick) house is in Adelaide, I would find it impossible to justify the high cost of double glazing for the sake of three months' cold weather every year.

Far more sensible to beef up your insulation instead.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jun 25th 2009 at 8:47 am.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:50 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
As my (double brick) house is in Adelaide, I would find it impossible to justify the high cost of double glazing for the sake of three months' cold weather every year.

I can understand the logic in that, but come on, a builder says the walls won't take the weight of double glazing. What does that say about building quality!!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:51 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just been back to UK and had two weeks of a Scottish "summer." Absolutely crap, cold, wet and miserable. Glad to be home to the "cold"
Had a great time though, and for those that are interested, it hasn't gone to the dogs!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A rant

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I can understand the logic in that, but come on, a builder says the walls won't take the weight of double glazing. What does that say about building quality!!
It says "You'd be better off building a sandcastle".

It also suggests that the builder is lazy, a complete waste of space, and probably a con artist as well.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:58 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I would still have it if I could Vash, for me it's the noise thing, everything here sounds too noisy when used to double glazing.

Those pesky bin motors drive me up the wall on a Wed morning!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:01 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I would still have it if I could Vash, for me it's the noise thing, everything here sounds too noisy when used to double glazing.

Those pesky bin motors drive me up the wall on a Wed morning!
Yes, that's one thing I will miss about double glazing. I spent four and a half years as a shift worker, which left me very sensitive to noise; I can't sleep without earplugs these days.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:02 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's one thing I will miss about double glazing. I spent four and a half years as a shift worker, which left me very sensitive to noise; I can't sleep without earplugs these days.
You're in for a rough ride then when you return to Oz!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:04 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Rosscov is currently installing 2, 11 radiator, wet central heating systems for 2 new builds in Adelaide. One of theses clients is a physics teacher at Pembroke and has very high demands for a low carbon footprint. Both houses are double glazed and insulated and from our discussions I don't believe the double glazing was that much more than a single glaze option. Although this is for a new build obviously and not a retro fit.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live next to a deli in Semaphore and got woken up at the crack of dawn most mornings by the bloody Iced Coffee truck doing its delivery.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:26 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
You're in for a rough ride then when you return to Oz!
I should be OK. Spent three weeks there on a visit in 2006 and coped perfectly well with earplugs, so I reckon it won't be too bad.

Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:30 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: A rant

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
Mr. Rosscov is currently installing 2, 11 radiator, wet central heating systems for 2 new builds in Adelaide. One of theses clients is a physics teacher at Pembroke and has very high demands for a low carbon footprint. Both houses are double glazed and insulated and from our discussions I don't believe the double glazing was that much more than a single glaze option. Although this is for a new build obviously and not a retro fit.
Crikey!

Well, we couldn't afford the expense of a retro-fit, and our house has sash windows, which makes the job even harder. So we'll be chasing a decent reverse cycle ducted aircon system, I guess. We've just had a heat pump installed, which should keep the bills down a bit.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:38 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey!

Well, we couldn't afford the expense of a retro-fit, and our house has sash windows, which makes the job even harder. So we'll be chasing a decent reverse cycle ducted aircon system, I guess. We've just had a heat pump installed, which should keep the bills down a bit.
Perhaps you'd better stock up on sausage dog draught exlcuders for your move over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.