Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Racism rife in finance and IT hiring policies in Australia

Racism rife in finance and IT hiring policies in Australia

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice
Default Racism rife in finance and IT hiring policies in Australia

http://www.news.com.au/business/raci...-1226250941760
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism rife in finance and IT hiring policies in Australia

I dont think that will surprise too many although some will fiercely deny it happens here.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:25 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect deodorants are involved.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Non-jobs hiring other non-jobs.

Click disregard.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I sometimes feel that although racism does exist obviously. The racism card is sometimes played when the real issue is a language barrier and/or a competance issue. I`ve seen this first hand on more than one occasion. Or when the applicant, due to the language problem cannot fully describe or provide evidence of their abilities. The employer goes for what he feels is the best bet and probably gets it wrong sometimes. I have had atleast four occasions dealing with Doctors of Indian origin and had problems, I think mainly due to a communication issue. I have friends who have had no problems whatsoever. Now I prefer Doctors whose first language is English, Whatever colour/origin they may be.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah its rife big time. Companies use the 'local experience' card

I am from an Indian background so was born and bought up in the UK. For me its easy to get work here as I 'fit in' with the culture - ie. go boozing after work and have same sense of humour as the ozzies. For Indian Indians/ Chinese etc etc its a different story.

I met up with several agents this week in Brisbane and they all told me if they get a CV from someone sounding of an ethnic background 9/10 times the company will throw them in the bin. They even suggested I use a shortened western sounding version of my name and put a UK flag to show my nationality on my CV

I'm not saying its right or not because real racism was back in the day when my old man couldn't get any job because he was the wrong skin colour. And maybe if I had a choice I'd rather hire someone with the same sense of humour who I can have a laugh with than someone who goes running back to their family every night at 5pm and doesn't go to the Xmas party.

But it does make you think.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What's your point? What's your opinion? Please don't just post a link and walk away, it's kind of rude and could be construed as trollism and I'm sure that wasn't your intention.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:59 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I know they don't like people with an accent because they don't want customers thinking they are talking to an Indian call center.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have a large finance team in a top Australian company and I did a tot up of my finance team earlier, dividing into three for simplicity.

Caucasian 54% (of which 29% of the 54% are Brits, 16% native Aussie, the rest SA)
Chinese 16%
Other Asian 29% (includes Sri Lankan, Indian).

I find that many Asians (born outside Australia) have qualifications upon qualificaions upon qualifications. But don't have the work experience to back it up. Maybe they assume that sitting tests is enough and then don't understand why they do not progress as they hope through the selection process and put it down to racism? Just a thought.

One of my team interviewed somebody last week with qualifications coming out of her ears, but near the beginning of the interview he decided to ask a basic accounting question. At this point the candidate picked up her bag and stormed out declaring that she did not come here to answer accounting questions.

Our male:female split is 52:48.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 23rd 2012 at 10:07 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have a large finance team in a top Australian company and I did a tot up of my finance team earlier, dividing into three for simplicity.

Caucasian 54% (of which 29% of the 54% are Brits, 16% native Aussie, the rest SA)
Chinese 16%

I find that many Asians (born outside Australia) have qualifications upon qualificaions upon qualifications. But don't have the work experience to back it up. Maybe they assume that sitting tests is enough and then don't understand why they do not progress as they hope through the selection process and put it down to racism? Just a thought.

One of my team interviewed somebody last week with qualifications coming out of her ears, but near the beginning of the interview he decided to ask a basic accounting question. At this point the candidate picked up her bag and stormed out declaring that she did not come here to answer accounting questions.
Yes I can see it going both ways - racism existing but some people with MSc's on their high horse not adapting to the way things work here. As my daddy always told me 'do as the romans do'.

It might not be right and it might not be pretty but that's just the way it is
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:13 am
Banned

Ptp113 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in IT and we hire everybody and anybody. Just another crap beat up
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ptp113
I'm in IT and we hire everybody and anybody. Just another crap beat up
Some places I am sure are like that - but all in all it exists. At least in the UK they hide it a bit better but here...

Even a blind man can see it.

I met people driving taxis with accountancy degrees. And they weren't white.

I don't know if that's 'racist' but to say it doesn't go in is either stupid or very naive

Anyway as moneypenny said wheres the guy who started this thread? Speak up man
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:23 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

Chinese 16%

Our male:female split is 52:48.
are you the interviewer who asks questions about AASB 9?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd

I met people driving taxis with accountancy degrees. And they weren't white.
I'm going to pick up on that point, because it perhaps relates to my earlier post about some groups of people passing tests endless tests but not obtaining any experience.

An accounting degree does not make one into an accountant. It is experience that makes the accountant.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by commonwealth
are you the interviewer who asks questions about AASB 9?
No not me. It wasn't me interiewing, it was one of my team and he actually asked a really simple question along the lines of debits equaling credits ... but had this walkout.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.