Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Racism out, Pom bashing in

Racism out, Pom bashing in

Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:57 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Racism out, Pom bashing in

Originally Posted by Hutch
This is half the problem. Most white English people have lived in a bubble all their lives - happily calling people Jock, Taffy and Paddy and thinking nothing of it. Cracks me right up those getting uptight about it ...
the difference is there are actually people called jock,taffy and paddy .i have yet to meet an english person who actually refers to them selves as pom .You obviously advocate use of racist derogatory remarks ,SHAME ON YOU .I work witha fella called jock ,he uses it of his own free will as he prefers it to john [his real name ].
The rason i have such a hatred for people like you who advocate using the word pom ,is because my son at the age of 7 years old was told to to shut up in class with the words ''shut up you little pom'' ,this was by the teacher and i could not believe it had happened untill i refered it to the headmaster and got a face to face apology ,but the side affect is my son for a moment felt different and isolated from his australian classmates .I personally dont see anything positive in the term and english are accepting it just so they fit in easier into australian society ,well i tell em to go f**k em selves .
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
the difference is there are actually people called jock,taffy and paddy .i have yet to meet an english person who actually refers to them selves as pom .You obviously advocate use of racist derogatory remarks ,SHAME ON YOU .I work witha fella called jock ,he uses it of his own free will as he prefers it to john [his real name ].
The rason i have such a hatred for people like you who advocate using the word pom ,is because my son at the age of 7 years old was told to to shut up in class with the words ''shut up you little pom'' ,this was by the teacher and i could not believe it had happened untill i refered it to the headmaster and got a face to face apology ,but the side affect is my son for a moment felt different and isolated from his australian classmates .I personally dont see anything positive in the term and english are accepting it just so they fit in easier into australian society ,well i tell em to go f**k em selves .

I've yet to meet an english person here (and believe me there are lots where I am) that doesn't call themsleves a pom. People should lighten up a little. It's only like us calling Autralians Ozzies, can't see the harm in it myself.

I agree that your son got bad treatment from his teacher though and for that I am sorry.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:31 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
I've yet to meet an english person here (and believe me there are lots where I am) that doesn't call themsleves a pom. People should lighten up a little. It's only like us calling Autralians Ozzies, can't see the harm in it myself.

I agree that your son got bad treatment from his teacher though and for that I am sorry.
they may well call themselves a pom but they dont choose it as a first name .And inregards to lightening up a little ,the fact is an educated person [ie a teacher ]saw it as an acceptable term ,but infact the term pom can be interpreted which ever way you like,because depends in what context it is said in.
After all an american black will call himself and his black mates ''nigger'' ,but if you as a white person called him a ''nigger''you will get whats coming and the reason for this is because its a put down word .The black american has took ownership of the word thus taking the power away from the redneck whites ,i have heard heaps of english call them selves poms and to me its not offensive because a usually it hasnt got other expletives put in front of it ie bloody,f**king .
IF you really want to find out what aussies think of the word pom ,just remind them they are the true poms and we are the immigrants ,they then show the true colours and they dont like it .
Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:37 am
Account Closed

duffers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This is just more nanny state bullshit. The Poms & Aussies have always had a go at each other. My grandfather who was a pilot in WW2 flew with Aussies & he told me that they used to wind each other up incessantly but at the end of the day they were all mates. Having a go at the opposition at a sporting event is all part of the fun. I hope the fans ignore this kind of PC crap.

Having a go at each other during a days sport comes with the entrance fee.I personally love taking the piss out of my brit/poms mates any chance i get,then again i would,im irish!!!!!
Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Since when were Poms a race

About as long as such other names used to offend black/Italian/Lebanese/French etc people have been around!

But really all depends on context, if someone can aggressively shouting Pommie bastard I'd take it as a racist attack, if in a conversation it's dropped in that I'm a Pom then so what.
But I can understand that some people don't want to be referred to as a Pom!
Not sure why there's such a debate going on if they don't like it then simply tell the person who's saying you're a pom that you find it offensive, if they continue then it probably is racist....
Old Oct 14th 2006, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graz79
Don't they think that the original aboriginies came over from New Guinea?
Think they might have had, actually.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 4:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
About as long as such other names used to offend black/Italian/Lebanese/French etc people have been around!

But really all depends on context, if someone can aggressively shouting Pommie bastard I'd take it as a racist attack, if in a conversation it's dropped in that I'm a Pom then so what.
But I can understand that some people don't want to be referred to as a Pom!
Not sure why there's such a debate going on if they don't like it then simply tell the person who's saying you're a pom that you find it offensive, if they continue then it probably is racist....
agreed
Old Oct 14th 2006, 4:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by duffers
Having a go at each other during a days sport comes with the entrance fee.I personally love taking the piss out of my brit/poms mates any chance i get,then again i would,im irish!!!!!
ofcourse ,i do it too with scottish and irish and welsh and its good banter ,but us from the british isles and the island of ireland share to a certain degree the same sense of sarcastic humour and we somehow have inherited a way of knowing when it goes from good banter to serious stuff ,this is something in my experience the aussies havent inherited beacause the humour here is very american like .
Old Oct 15th 2006, 4:04 am
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

I am a Primary school teacher here in Sydney,

Let's just say Aussies maybe, ahem...cough, view racism in a different way.

Mod has removed terms used as they may cause offence.

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Oct 15th 2006 at 5:07 am.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under
Let's just say Aussies maybe, ahem...cough, view racism in a different way.
Where on Earth do you teach? I have taught here for a long time and never heard students, far less teachers, speak in this manner. Any such remark is rightly frown upon.

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Oct 15th 2006 at 5:06 am.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 8:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

You did know that the Australians were likely to refer to you as a pom before you emigrated here - or did you just spin a globe, stick a pin in, land on Australia, say "that's the place for me" and hop on the next plane? I mean, even 30 seconds of research would probably have been enough to turn up that nugget of information. I really can't believe that after 15 years in the country this winds you up so much that you suggest you hate me, an anonymous user of these forums that you don't know ... go score some blow mate or get laid - you need to chill out.

Since you think 'paddy' and 'taffy' are fine - would it be okay, by way of example, for a teacher to say "Shut up you litte paddy" to an Irish kid? How do you think that would go down? What do you think about a headline like this? What about the name of this DJ (second one down)? Does it sound like the heir to the throne is bothered?

In closing I would just like to say ...

I'M A POM

Old Oct 15th 2006, 9:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Hutch
You did know that the Australians were likely to refer to you as a pom before you emigrated here - or did you just spin a globe, stick a pin in, land on Australia, say "that's the place for me" and hop on the next plane? I mean, even 30 seconds of research would probably have been enough to turn up that nugget of information. I really can't believe that after 15 years in the country this winds you up so much that you suggest you hate me, an anonymous user of these forums that you don't know ... go score some blow mate or get laid - you need to chill out.

Since you think 'paddy' and 'taffy' are fine - would it be okay, by way of example, for a teacher to say "Shut up you litte paddy" to an Irish kid? How do you think that would go down? What do you think about a headline like this? What about the name of this DJ (second one down)? Does it sound like the heir to the throne is bothered?

In closing I would just like to say ...

I'M A POM

more shite .

Last edited by sassenach; Oct 15th 2006 at 9:48 am.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I think a teacher singleing out a kid in front of his peers, with the words "shut up you little... anything" is cause for the teacher to be reviewed and disciplined.

I dont think the word pom comes into it myself.

Cockney has to be offensive as well in that case eh ?

Signed off... Yet another pom

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 15th 2006 at 12:03 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

ofcourse ,i do it too with scottish and irish and welsh and its good banter ,but us from the british isles and the island of ireland share to a certain degree the same sense of sarcastic humour and we somehow have inherited a way of knowing when it goes from good banter to serious stuff ,this is something in my experience the aussies havent inherited beacause the humour here is very american like .
eh? Scarcasm is crap. Give me deadpan, dry irony anyday, which Aussies do as well as Brits.

If Aussies had a Yank humour, I would not be living here.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 12:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
eh? Scarcasm is crap. Give me deadpan, dry irony anyday, which Aussies do as well as Brits.

If Aussies had a Yank humour, I would not be living here.
you are ofcourse entitled to your opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.