Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Questions about Schooling - Queensland

Questions about Schooling - Queensland

Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Babydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the rough
Default Questions about Schooling - Queensland

Hi,
Coming to Brisbane in July/Aug with my OH and two daughters. My eldest daughter (14) is in year 9 and just doing her "Options" for September (even though we won't be there!!). Can anyone give me some advise on what happens around this age in Oz?? is it the same??
Also have been looking at Albany Creek area to rent?? What are the schools like??
Any help, advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Questions about Schooling - Queensland

Hi

Kids aged 14 would go into year 8 or 9 depending on birthday. But both years do a general course. There would be some options but depends on the school. The school I worked at Ferny Grove (amazing school, and location) has a general course in year 8, and then minimal options in year 9, like what art course to take etc. The general course continues into year 10. Then 11 and 12 is where they start to specialize so more like A-levels.

Albany Creek is a good school too. I know the head of science there (or who used to be there) and worked a lot with him, and I know they have a GREAT science course for all year levels, lots of hands on stuff.

Ferny grove which is close by (as the crow flies, but not for school choice) is fantastic. They have a brilliant music program if your kid is into that kind of stuff.

Good luck on the choices!

Amanda
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Babydurbs
Hi,
Coming to Brisbane in July/Aug with my OH and two daughters. My eldest daughter (14) is in year 9 and just doing her "Options" for September (even though we won't be there!!). Can anyone give me some advise on what happens around this age in Oz?? is it the same??
Also have been looking at Albany Creek area to rent?? What are the schools like??
Any help, advise would be greatly appreciated.
My daughter is 14 and has just started year 10. At the end of last year she had to choose her electives for this year. They split the year into 2 semesters so she can try different things for 6 months, although some subjects like language you have to do for both semesters to keep the continuity.
Albany Creek has a large state high school and there are also state high schools at Craigslea (West Chermside), Ferny Grove, Mitchelton and others. There are also several private high schools within easy access to Albany Creek.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Babydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gillysm
My daughter is 14 and has just started year 10. At the end of last year she had to choose her electives for this year. They split the year into 2 semesters so she can try different things for 6 months, although some subjects like language you have to do for both semesters to keep the continuity.
Albany Creek has a large state high school and there are also state high schools at Craigslea (West Chermside), Ferny Grove, Mitchelton and others. There are also several private high schools within easy access to Albany Creek.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, one other thing, my youngest is 4 and due to start school in September. I have read that they don't start school full-time till they are 6, so that would mean she starts in Jan 09 full-time, her birthday is December. Any help would be great.
Many thanks
Lisa

By the Way its freezing here...I don't do Frosty Mornings...Roll on Sunny Weather!!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

She would go into year 9. Year 8 is for turning 13, Year 9 - turning 14 etc. If you don't want frost don't go inland from Brissie, they still get frosts. Mind you, some bits of the GC had light frost last winter but nothing major
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Just to clarify 0 my daughter is 14 and turns 15 this year. She is in year 10.

As far as starting school - things have changed since mine were that age - this is from Educatin Qld
Children who turn five in the first half of 2007 will be eligible to attend Prep in that year. This will align Prep with the six-month increase in the school starting age from 2008.

Children who turn five between 1 July 2007 and 30 June 2008 will be eligible to attend Prep in 2008.

"Children who turn six in 2007 will start Year 1 in that year. Those who turn six in the latter part of 2007 may be eligible for Prep if an assessment of their educational need indicates they will be disadvantaged by starting Year 1 before 2008. Educational need will be assessed by looking at the learning readiness and physical and social development of the child.

Community kindergartens and other early childhood education and care providers will continue to offer programs for children not enrolled in Prep. Preschool will finish at the end of 2006.

From 2008, children will need to be six by 30 June the year they enrol in Year 1."

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:23 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify 0 my daughter is 14 and turns 15 this year. She is in year 10.

As far as starting school - things have changed since mine were that age - this is from Educatin Qld
Children who turn five in the first half of 2007 will be eligible to attend Prep in that year. This will align Prep with the six-month increase in the school starting age from 2008.

Children who turn five between 1 July 2007 and 30 June 2008 will be eligible to attend Prep in 2008.

"Children who turn six in 2007 will start Year 1 in that year. Those who turn six in the latter part of 2007 may be eligible for Prep if an assessment of their educational need indicates they will be disadvantaged by starting Year 1 before 2008. Educational need will be assessed by looking at the learning readiness and physical and social development of the child.

Community kindergartens and other early childhood education and care providers will continue to offer programs for children not enrolled in Prep. Preschool will finish at the end of 2006.

From 2008, children will need to be six by 30 June the year they enrol in Year 1."

Hope that helps.
Gilly isn't Albany Creek where you have one of your rental properties?? Maybe you should chat to OP about that too if its available then??

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Feb 2nd 2008 at 2:28 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Gilly isn't Albany Creek where you have one of your rental properties?? Maybe you should chat to OP about that too if its available then??
Yes it is. Thanks, I'll send her a PM.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 7:03 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is. Thanks, I'll send her a PM.
no worries
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amandabee
Hi

Kids aged 14 would go into year 8 or 9 depending on birthday. But both years do a general course. There would be some options but depends on the school. The school I worked at Ferny Grove (amazing school, and location) has a general course in year 8, and then minimal options in year 9, like what art course to take etc. The general course continues into year 10. Then 11 and 12 is where they start to specialize so more like A-levels.

Albany Creek is a good school too. I know the head of science there (or who used to be there) and worked a lot with him, and I know they have a GREAT science course for all year levels, lots of hands on stuff.

Ferny grove which is close by (as the crow flies, but not for school choice) is fantastic. They have a brilliant music program if your kid is into that kind of stuff.

Good luck on the choices!

Amanda
Hi, We are going to Gold Coast (visa permitting) and my to children are 8 in April 2008 and 5 in May 2008. What would jr infants/senior infants be called in Australia? Is Year 1 the same as 1st class? Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry i have no idea on the little kids.... I just taught the big kids
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
She would go into year 9. Year 8 is for turning 13, Year 9 - turning 14 etc. If you don't want frost don't go inland from Brissie, they still get frosts. Mind you, some bits of the GC had light frost last winter but nothing major
Hi moneypen being a bit thick here would my daughter be in year 8 when we move to Brisbane in July/August?. She will be 13 in May.
Thanks
Tam
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Sorry i have no idea on the little kids.... I just taught the big kids
No problem Amanda, thks
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TMRE
Hi moneypen being a bit thick here would my daughter be in year 8 when we move to Brisbane in July/August?. She will be 13 in May.
Thanks
Tam
yep year 8.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

yep year 8.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.