Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

A question for the self employed

A question for the self employed

Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:15 pm
Not so new ;-)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question for the self employed

Originally Posted by cresta57
I usually quote per M², though some jobs have tasks that require me to charge a per hour rate. I charge $35-$40 for me & $25 for my T.A. [$40 if it's pulling up old lino or carpet]
$25 an hour for the Tits n Arse, Sean???

That's a bit steep innit - does Debs know that's what you call her?

;-)
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, much appreciated, will probably bung it somewhere in the middle and see what happens

Jazzys
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

raspberrykitty will become famous soon enoughraspberrykitty will become famous soon enough

HI

We are not in Australia - yet. But my husband has his own business in the lift industry.

He charges between £250 or £300 per day for labour as a lift fitter depending on the job which is average for the area. If he has to travel a good distance he will add fuel cost, if working weekends time and a half. Staying away , hotel cost plus subsitence cost.

If we are pricing up a job we would cost out the materials - looking on the net or using our local supplier price list and add a bit incase you break something, need extra. Add some for delivery if required. Add the labour and then some profit i.e. 30, 40 or 50 gross margin - what ever the current market will bear. You can always negotiate.

For example this is a quote we did the other day for additional works at a job already quote for.

Material 1 - 10 No = 300
Material 2 - 5 No = 25
Material 3 - 40 No = 50
Material 4 - Pack 100 = 10
Delivery = 50
Sundries = 25
Tool = 30
Labour 2 Days = 500

Sum = 990

40% GM = 1386
50% GM = 1485

So we sent quote for £1490 plus VAT as it seemed like the right kind of price and it was accepted.

To the same customer with another quote we sent a 40% GM and they said it was verging on too expensive as he didnt have enough money in the contract and we wanted the work so reduced to 35% GM and were accepted.

Hope this helps?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:11 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bertles
$25 an hour for the Tits n Arse, Sean???

That's a bit steep innit - does Debs know that's what you call her?

;-)
Hey, you happy back there mate? Last I heard you were heading either back to U.K or to Melbourne. Deadcliff doesn't suit everyone
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

What type of insurance is it i need to be self employed working in / on other peoples properties. Is it just public liability insurance? Or do i need more than that?

Cheers
Jazzys
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:49 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
What type of insurance is it i need to be self employed working in / on other peoples properties. Is it just public liability insurance? Or do i need more than that?

Cheers
Jazzys
You need public liability circa 1k per year for 5mil of cover.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

You need public liability circa 1k per year for 5mil of cover.
1K, do you know summat i don't cos i just got a quote for for $460

J
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:03 am

1K, do you know summat i don't cos i just got a quote for for $460

J
Mine is $851 per year inc stamp duty & GST, the builders I work for insist on minimum 5 million cover as do the QBSA as part of my licence conditions.

Each year we do a quick phone around but usually Suncorp or Master Builders are the cheapest.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Mine is $851 per year inc stamp duty & GST, the builders I work for insist on minimum 5 million cover as do the QBSA as part of my licence conditions.

Each year we do a quick phone around but usually Suncorp or Master Builders are the cheapest.
Do you have to be a member of the master builders to get the insurance thru them?

J
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:16 am

Do you have to be a member of the master builders to get the insurance thru them?

J
Yes you pay to join them & the cost of joining is the same as you save on your premium. Well it was when we last used them. I just spoke to the o/h & she says the premiums actually dropped considerably a couple of years ago. My figure was from 2006 she can't remember what it is now.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes you pay to join them & the cost of joining is the same as you save on your premium. Well it was when we last used them. I just spoke to the o/h & she says the premiums actually dropped considerably a couple of years ago. My figure was from 2006 she can't remember what it is now.
thanks mate, i'll do some homework and give em a call

J
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, you happy back there mate? Last I heard you were heading either back to U.K or to Melbourne. Deadcliff doesn't suit everyone
One wonders if he has managed to afford to buy a new bed yet or whether he is still sleeping on an inflatable one.......
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:45 am
Not so new ;-)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Mate!! Heading back out at the end of the year sometime - with eyes wide open this time ...... Melbourne looks good!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One wonders if he has managed to afford to buy a new bed yet or whether he is still sleeping on an inflatable one.......
Polly...how the devil are you? Yes, managed to buy a new bed. Ya know, I thought you got that back - guess not! We owe you one!
Hope you are well my dear?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:40 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
Jazzys
I pay $102 a month for 20 million p/l. Shopping centres etc like that but we have some high risk activities.

Are you in QLD , be careful about your license obligations, you may need to think about what paperwork you are filliing out and make a plan. I think the QBSA like a license to hang coat hangers

good luck
Vivienne
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:41 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by viviennef
I pay $102 a month for 20 million p/l. Shopping centres etc like that but we have some high risk activities.

Are you in QLD , be careful about your license obligations, you may need to think about what paperwork you are filliing out and make a plan. I think the QBSA like a license to hang coat hangers

good luck
Vivienne
Got any jobs for gifted metalworkers Viv?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.