Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Question for brickies: How much mortar?

Wikiposts

Question for brickies: How much mortar?

Old May 24th 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for brickies: How much mortar?

The first wall is going up on our house. On the outside the mortar joints look "normal", i.e. the mortar appears evenly spread along/between the bricks. But on the inside there are "gaps" in the mortar.

Knowing nothing about bricklaying, other than how it "looks": could someone please tell me whether the "gaps" are o.k. or whether I should raise this with our SS.

Edit: It's going to be a double-brick wall, i.e. later they will build another brick wall on the inside.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Question for brickies: How much mortar?-100-cimg2007_cimg2007-600-x-450-.jpg   Question for brickies: How much mortar?-100-cimg2012_cimg2012-600-x-450-.jpg  

Last edited by ozhappy981; May 24th 2009 at 7:50 pm.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for brickies: How much mortar?

That's not too bad. You should take a look for the thread I started a month or two ago about the same thing. One of our walls fell down shortly after the brickie left the site!

Who's your builder and where's your property? We're building with Celebration in Butler.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

varsanik will become famous soon enoughvarsanik will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
The first wall is going up on our house. On the outside the mortar joints look "normal", i.e. the mortar appears evenly spread along/between the bricks. But on the inside there are "gaps" in the mortar.

Knowing nothing about bricklaying, other than how it "looks": could someone please tell me whether the "gaps" are o.k. or whether I should raise this with our SS.

Edit: It's going to be a double-brick wall, i.e. later they will build another brick wall on the inside.

Thanks
Im a construction manager and in my opinion, the brickwork is not upto the standard I would expect on one of my sites. However, I must say I have seen worse.

With regards to your concerns of the mortar gaps on the inside, the beds and perps (ends of the bricks) look reasonably full of mortar, therefore structurally sound. They will eventually be hidden within the cavity of the wall, hence, the aesthetics on this face is not important.

The Joints on the outside of the brickwork look reasonably unfinished, I am assuming (hoping) this photo was taken before the bricklayer completed the pointing.

I would always recommend all people ask for a 1 sq meter sample panel of brickwork, prior to awarding the work to contractors or see and previous works.
Old May 25th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Varsanik. That's been really helpful. The brickie isn't our contractor. We are building with APG, a project builder, and they are in charge of hiring and firing.

I've included the photos (plus another one) in an email for our SS and will see what he says and does.

At least, with your reply, I now know that it shouldn't look like that. Thanks again (karma sent )
Old May 25th 2009, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's not too bad. You should take a look for the thread I started a month or two ago about the same thing. One of our walls fell down shortly after the brickie left the site!

Who's your builder and where's your property? We're building with Celebration in Butler.
I'll search for that thread. We are building with APG in Iluka.
Old May 25th 2009, 3:01 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus Christ, that work looks shite.

The worst guy on my brickie course makes a better job than that
Old May 25th 2009, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

As a house builder, I would get the brickwork taken down and rebuilt at their cost. You pay for a good job, not just in areas where you see it. Start being hard and you can ease up. If they get away with crap work now, it will only get worse

TD
Old May 25th 2009, 11:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
I'll search for that thread. We are building with APG in Iluka.
APG and Celebration are both part of the Alcock Group of companies. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same lazy ass brickie we had.
Old May 26th 2009, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
APG and Celebration are both part of the Alcock Group of companies. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same lazy ass brickie we had.
A bit tubby with wavy/slightly curly dark brown hair?

APG said they'd get back to me today. Waiting to hear what they say.
Old May 26th 2009, 1:23 pm
BOP
Just Joined

BOP is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by varsanik
Im a construction manager and in my opinion, the brickwork is not upto the standard I would expect on one of my sites. However, I must say I have seen worse.

With regards to your concerns of the mortar gaps on the inside, the beds and perps (ends of the bricks) look reasonably full of mortar, therefore structurally sound. They will eventually be hidden within the cavity of the wall, hence, the aesthetics on this face is not important.

The Joints on the outside of the brickwork look reasonably unfinished, I am assuming (hoping) this photo was taken before the bricklayer completed the pointing.

I would always recommend all people ask for a 1 sq meter sample panel of brickwork, prior to awarding the work to contractors or see and previous works.
Looks like they have lost the bond aswell, take another look.
Old May 26th 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BOP
Looks like they have lost the bond aswell, take another look.
BOP, could you please explain to me what that means? Is that on the photo of the inside or the outside? What is the "bond"? What should it look like?

Thanks
Old May 26th 2009, 4:00 pm
BOP
Just Joined

BOP is on a distinguished road

The bond is the pattern in which the bricks are set.
ie: 1 brick should be set halfway along the top of the the brick below. This forms the structural integrity of the wall.
Old May 26th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BOP
The bond is the pattern in which the bricks are set.
ie: 1 brick should be set halfway along the top of the the brick below. This forms the structural integrity of the wall.
Thanks, BOP. Karma sent!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

geary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to all

they call it quater bond.. still solidly sound........lokks like a internal so will be redered. so you have no worries there.. ps could of roll jointed it thou ,its just cosmetic.

A bricky