Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Queensland - Redneck ?

Queensland - Redneck ?

Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

NEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really nice
Default Queensland - Redneck ?

I'm sure this may offend some, however in the spirit of free speech has anyone out there experienced lets say a more Redneck tendency in Queensland than the rest of Australia.

I appreciate there is a level of fun regarding the POM/Australian thing however the people of Queensland seem to take this to another level, are they just not well informed or is there some kind of propaganda media channel that influences their thinking - to be honest I found the humour in QLD to be about 50 years out of date and very repetitive.

Would Melbourne be a more civilised place to live regarding tolerance of new migrants.

Just asking the question, sorry to anyone in QLD who is civilised and tolerant.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland - Redneck ?

steak is a delicacy and vests are cool, hardly Paris or Milan is it?

plus

Have you ever heard Cold Chisel
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

NEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really nice

Originally Posted by bingobob777

plus

Well, your humour is creative, thats for sure, must be an Ex- Englishman...or am I just being racist....
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Your question just seems a bit broad....yes, the more remote parts of australia will have more "different" people....lets face it, being able to pick the right coffee blend isn't much use when a bull needs rounding up with a chopper, or you live in a small regional town...but I live in inner brisbane and the people at work/friends don't seem much different to other larger cities I have visited or lived in and there are immigrants everywhere...

so surely it is a matter of picking your friends and your spot...

Last edited by fish.01; Jun 19th 2012 at 10:48 am.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody immigrants.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, QLD is well known as the redneck state amongst Australians.

This does not mean everyone in QLD is a redneck, far from it. It does mean however that there tends to be more of this kind of person in QLD than in NSW, VIC and SA.

IMO it's the effect the tropics have on people's brains
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Yes, QLD is well known as the redneck state amongst Australians.

This does not mean everyone in QLD is a redneck, far from it. It does mean however that there tends to be more of this kind of person in QLD than in NSW, VIC and SA.

IMO it's the effect the tropics have on people's brains
Frankly I'm amazed...this thread was running for 27 mins before someone from Melbourne popped in to put the boot in...that must be some sort of record

On average I would agree Melbourne or Sydney would be less provincial...but obviously many in Brisbane would be less redneck than swathes of people in some parts of Sydney and Melbourne....so still you have to pick your spot. The problem with Sydney and Melbourne is the good spots are dearer so does depend on your bank balance somewhat - and some of the bad spots are really bad...
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:10 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in both SA and Queensland, as well as working for some time in country Victoria, and the proportion of "Rednecks" is around the same everywhere. What does it matter anyway? Or are you the sort of person who finds people 'not like us' intimidating?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:24 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

1) you will find numpties everywhere you go in the world if you look hard enough

2) when you talk about "Queensland", are you talking about Fortitude Valley or Mt Isa or Murray Island? Each is as different as the other.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

I worked in Brisbane, Wacol for a certain paint manufacturer for several years and just found them to be really insular and very ignorant to the big wide world, all they could say is " best country in the world" and QLD is the best state, one bloke had never left the state of QLD and seemed proud of it... It was a strange place, felt like I was in one of those movies where I was the only one who knew the truth.....anyway that was just my experience.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NEMISSIS
I worked in Brisbane, Wacol for a certain paint manufacturer for several years and just found them to be really insular and very ignorant to the big wide world, all they could say is " best country in the world" and QLD is the best state, one bloke had never left the state of QLD and seemed proud of it... It was a strange place, felt like I was in one of those movies where I was the only one who knew the truth.....anyway that was just my experience.
A manufacturer in Wacol, it all becomes clear now...
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
1) you will find numpties everywhere you go in the world if you look hard enough

2) when you talk about "Queensland", are you talking about Fortitude Valley or Mt Isa or Murray Island? Each is as different as the other.
Absolutely. May be I walk around blindfolded but not aware of meeting any rednecks yet. I've met some total tools but that's life, it's not against the law to be a tool apparently.

Maybe the OP is mixing with the 'wrong sort'. Oh hang on, did he say Wacol? Nuff said.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:24 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

plus

Heard them?! I've seen them live, mate!

And I enjoy hearing them on the radio every single $@#$ing day

To the OP, I haven't lived elsewhere in Oz but I sort of know where you are coming from ... Even if you aren't in 'rural QLD', i.e. living here, there is definitely a redneck vibe

Last edited by DeadVim; Jun 19th 2012 at 12:29 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Absolutely. May be I walk around blindfolded but not aware of meeting any rednecks yet. I've met some total tools but that's life, it's not against the law to be a tool apparently.

Maybe the OP is mixing with the 'wrong sort'. Oh hang on, did he say Wacol? Nuff said.
Gold Coast, now thats a different story....I enjoyed Coolangatta, however couldn't afford to live there.....lots of tourists so I guess it pays to be nice to tourists.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NEMISSIS
Gold Coast, now thats a different story....I enjoyed Coolangatta, however couldn't afford to live there.....lots of tourists so I guess it pays to be nice to tourists.
Not huge amounts down here, not like Surfers/Broadbeach etc. The prices aren't too bad, well unless you're looking beachside or the odd highrise. Only downside to Coolie is that it's stuck to Tweed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.