Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

QLD will hit 80% 1st dose today, masks will be lifted

QLD will hit 80% 1st dose today, masks will be lifted

Old Nov 9th 2021, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QLD will hit 80% 1st dose today, masks will be lifted

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So what's your point? I mean, I guess you have one. Not everyone wears them here either. So what? Three states have a mask mandate, in all three states some people wear them, some don't. Breaking news.
Correct, and in some situations in all states they are still mandatory e.g. students in NSW have been told they have to wear them during HSC exams.
Refusal would be a violation of HSC rules. The masks will also protect elderly supervisors, Mr Perrottet said......
One supervisor, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said many would withdraw if masks had not been mandated. Rosters were prepared well in advance of the exams. “To lose a significant proportion of supervisors now would create chaos,” they said.
https://smh.com.au/national/nsw/i-fe...05-p596f0.html

Last edited by Brisbannite; Nov 9th 2021 at 9:20 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2021, 10:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've very pro-science and pro-vaccination, but if I had 7-12 year old children there'd be no way that I would be getting them vaccinated against Covid 19. Children that age are hardly affected by the virus and their retransmission rates are very low (not that a vaccine would stop that anyway). If we can avoid putting drugs in our bodies, then we should. A step too far IMO
Old Nov 9th 2021, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisbannite
Anna P has been concerned about the kids for ages now, and I know quite a few parents of young children stressing out lifting of the mask mandate before their kids are vaccinated. Contrast that with the situation for 5 -11 year olds in the US where they are now eligible for the vaccine at a third of the adult dose.

Reassuringly, it would seem that fears about myocarditis under under 30s are unfounded.

But as usual, we're lagging behind. Children here under 12 still aren't eligible, Pfizer's jab is unlikley to get the go-ahead before the end of 2021 and then we'll have to get in the queue behind the countries that have already made their orders for millions of vaccines.

I wish that we didn't always have to pay catch-up with the US but Scomo has got more important things on his agenda at the moment like pissing off the French and screwing up COP26 The man is a national embarrassment, can't wait to vote him out
There's some great guidance here from Johns Hopkins, currently the only vaccine approved for 5-12 year olds in the USA is Pfizer:

The vaccine helps prevent kids from getting COVID-19: Although COVID-19 in children is sometimes milder than in adults, some kids infected with the coronavirus can get severe lung infections, become very sick and require hospitalization. This is especially important to remember in light of the delta variant, which is more contagious than other coronavirus variants. “The current vaccines are still effective in preventing severe illness from the delta variant of the virus,” Sick-Samuels notes. Children can also have complications such as multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children that may require intensive care or long-lasting symptoms that affect their health and well-being. The virus can cause death in children, although this is rarer than for adults.
I've been reading a lot about the MIS in children, it is certainly something that I would want to protect them from. In the same way that they are protected from measles, mumps, rubella, diptheria, whopping cough etc. Its just going to be another childhood vaccination. Masks aren't going to be around forever to protect them so its important we get them protected now.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've very pro-science and pro-vaccination, but if I had 7-12 year old children there'd be no way that I would be getting them vaccinated against Covid 19. Children that age are hardly affected by the virus and their retransmission rates are very low (not that a vaccine would stop that anyway). If we can avoid putting drugs in our bodies, then we should. A step too far IMO
Yep generally very mild. Of the 6 kids at my daughters nursery that got infected, none had any symptoms except my daughter. She vomited once. Of the 12 parents (no single parents in this group) 6 caught the virus. All were fully vaxxed. None hospitalised. Most said they felt crap for 2 or 3 days. My daughter had the most extreme symptoms (1 vomit) and didn't pass it on to us. My wife shared a water bottle with my daughter during the peak infectious period and still didn't catch it. I have no idea if these stats would be any different had they been vaccinated. It's supposed to teach your body how to give it the boot. Could it have given the virus the boot and therefore infecting less kids and in turn their parents. Again I have no idea. For the kids it generally doesn't matter but if it helps not passing it onto others then probably a good thing.

Last edited by Beoz; Nov 10th 2021 at 3:51 am.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, and in some situations in all states they are still mandatory e.g. students in NSW have been told they have to wear them during HSC exams.
Crazy. This all comes down to the control freaks that are NSW health. I will never get a NSW health run PCR test again because once you do you are under their control. Rapid ant all the way

Anyhow, the rational behind this.

"NSW Health has said that if there is a case, and there are students around that don't wear a mask, they will be regarded as close contacts rather than casual contacts - regardless of their vaccination."

Therefore, mask wearers get to crack on with exams if there is a positive case in the room whereas non mask wearers do not.

Does it make sense. Nope. Masks won't stay on during the exams. Why would you. Oxygen is more important during exams.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Queensland has met the state government's threshold for the easing of mask rules, with 80.1% of the population over 16 now at least partially vaccinated
Queensland officially passed the 80 per cent mark on Wednesday afternoon, according to federal government figures.

A spokesman for Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed the criteria had been met and mask use was now largely voluntary in Queensland except for a few key areas such as airports and on planes https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...09-p597cs.html
Now to work on getting the remaining 19.9% vaccinated, and making the jab available for the 5-16 age group.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Queensland has met the state government's threshold for the easing of mask rules, with 80.1% of the population over 16 now at least partially vaccinated

Now to work on getting the remaining 19.9% vaccinated, and making the jab available for the 5-16 age group.
1 dose does not equal vaccinated. There's a lot more than 19.9% to go before your tourism industry can get back on its feet and you can travel overseas without quarrentining on return.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

For anyone planning to come visit (or return to) QLD here's some helpful information about vaccination requirements when we achieve 70% double dose in week or less from now https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...ules/100605722. There article is quite long so I won't repeat it here.

Old Nov 11th 2021, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For anyone planning to come visit (or return to) QLD here's some helpful information about vaccination requirements when we achieve 70% double dose in week or less from now https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...ules/100605722. There article is quite long so I won't repeat it here.
They weren't kidding when they said it is easier to go abroad than travel in your own country. My word. What a bunch of morons.

I do feel sorry for the Queensland tourism industry. Not only is the marketing bigger than the result, $150 PCR test per person up until 90% of Queenslanders fully vaxxed, which is never going to happen, is a stretch for most families wanting a cheap holiday on the Gold Coast. Family of 4 can kiss good bye to $600 just to go to the Goldie. Not going to happen for most.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 12:46 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Watch it on TV, its cheaper and your beer is colder
Deleted

Last edited by DeadVim; Nov 17th 2021 at 12:52 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 12:48 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Absolutely.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 1:09 pm
Mostly Harmless

This is still just a bad flu season right?

Everyone over the past year and a bit is reacting like it’s the next coming of the Black Death.

Truly bizarre.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Everyone over the past year and a bit is reacting like it’s the next coming of the Black Death.

Truly bizarre.
There is a lot of over reaction. Still, I am more than happy to pollute my blood if it means being able to have a good time. Booster in 3 weeks. Bring it on.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Truly bizarre.
Zombie apocalypse.
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
They weren't kidding when they said it is easier to go abroad than travel in your own country. My word. What a bunch of morons.

I do feel sorry for the Queensland tourism industry. Not only is the marketing bigger than the result, $150 PCR test per person up until 90% of Queenslanders fully vaxxed, which is never going to happen, is a stretch for most families wanting a cheap holiday on the Gold Coast. Family of 4 can kiss good bye to $600 just to go to the Goldie. Not going to happen for most.
The silly woman has doubled down on her decision to enforce $150 PCR testing when QLD hits 80%.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...e0be04776e0a76

I don't quite understand the rational. Families will be staying away from Queensland with this cost.

Furthermore, whats the point? You can get infected, test negative, and have no symptoms or be infectious up to 5 days. At 80% in Qld, someone picks it up at work or the pub or where ever in Sydney or Melbourne, pays $150 for the test, flies to Brisbane, visits pubs, gives granny a big hug, and your on. Then on day 4 on the visit to Brisbane you start to get a sore throat. Whooops The Palette's plan just came unstuck. In fact, I am not even sure what her plan is. To enforce a PCR test, which doesn't register as soon as infection enters the body, with no quarantine, what is she trying to achieve, other than further cripple the tourist industry? Its either COVID zero or living with COVID - which one does she want? She is absolutely stark raving mad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.