Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

QLD IT - Gov converting contract to perm

QLD IT - Gov converting contract to perm

Old Sep 5th 2009, 11:37 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default QLD IT - Gov converting contract to perm

I hear on the grapevine that the QLD government is trying to shift its army of IT contractors to permanent. In some cases the salaries on offer are half the contract rate. Rumours are of an IT exodus from the "smart state". Supposedly the QLD employees half the IT workforce in the state so the effect on the market could be massive.

Any able to verify any of this as this is from a reputable recruitment agency (if there is such a thing)?
Old Sep 5th 2009, 11:46 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QLD IT - Gov converting contract to perm

Originally Posted by IvanM
I hear on the grapevine that the QLD government is trying to shift its army of IT contractors to permanent. In some cases the salaries on offer are half the contract rate. Rumours are of an IT exodus from the "smart state". Supposedly the QLD employees half the IT workforce in the state so the effect on the market could be massive.

Any able to verify any of this as this is from a reputable recruitment agency (if there is such a thing)?
havent heard anything.

Where will they go if they do leave?
Old Sep 5th 2009, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by seang
havent heard anything.

Where will they go if they do leave?
Where the work is wherever that may be.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 11:54 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Where the work is wherever that may be.
very little of that about. Surely a goodly number of them would be settled perhaps with families so taking off would not be possible.
Would also presume there is a reason so many are contracting to the gov..as there are very few other contracts out there
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:07 pm

Public sector seems hooked on contractors in NSW. It seems to be a response to the inability to get approval to employee perms. Not sure if there are regional variations in QLD with Brisbane contractors less dependent on gov work.

The less mobile will not move and take the perm positions. The mobile and prospective residents would go elsewhere.

Originally Posted by seang
very little of that about. Surely a goodly number of them would be settled perhaps with families so taking off would not be possible.
Would also presume there is a reason so many are contracting to the gov..as there are very few other contracts out there
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Where my husband works, they've terminated lots of contractor positions in the past year or so. Some were converted to permanent. Some were let go all together. A few have been retained as contractors, but only for rare skills or for short term projects. The government might have only just realized that they've spent way too much money hiring "permanent" contractors, i.e., contractors who have been with the government departments for as long as the average permanent staff.

As a taxpayer, I think it's the right thing to do. As the wife of a contractor, I'm no so sure... Fingers crossed JTL will still have his job for at least a couple more years.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

If we have "an IT exodus from the "smart state"" that would be fanstic for those of us left ... I know it won't happen but nice to dream...
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.psc.qld.gov.au/library/do...l-services.pdf

The salient bit being:

Contractors for professional services are not to be used:
•
for continuing or on-going employment roles within the public service, i.e., typically greater than twelve months, or
•
to meet developing work demands that will be of an on-going and permanent nature, i.e., typically greater than twelve months.
The only way around it is for your boss to front up to a committee and explain why his case is an exception. (Mine did )

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Sep 5th 2009 at 12:27 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

The salient bit being:

The only way around it is for your boss to front up to a committee and explain why his case is an exception.

JTL
They've tried this before but because contractors didn't show up on the salary head counts they could be hidden a lot more easily as they came out of a different bucket.

If they suddenly had to employ heaps more permanent staff to get the job done the salary budgets would have exploded all over the place and politically this was not palatable - times may have changed but I doubt it will last unless they have changed the whole way things work as well. Maybe they will get around this by outsourcing more complete projects to software houses who will then hire the contractors...

I think they would get a lot more taxpayer value by starting to issue poor performance warnings on the way to firing the hard core of staff with bad communication skills/technical knowledge/motivation who have been shunted into the corner while the rest of the permanent staff plus contractors pick up the slack. Or have they done that already?

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 5th 2009 at 12:37 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think they would get a lot more taxpayer value by starting to issue poor performance warnings on the way to firing the hard core of staff with bad communication skills/technical knowledge/motivation who have been shunted into the corner while the rest of the permanent staff plus contractors pick up the slack. Or have they done that already?
The mantra around George Street is "They can't be sacked, they're permanent staff".
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The mantra around George Street is "They can't be sacked, they're permanent staff".
They won't be saying that if they convert most contract to permanent and then hit a quiet patch
Old Sep 7th 2009, 2:27 am

What are the rate cuts like?

The salient bit being:

The only way around it is for your boss to front up to a committee and explain why his case is an exception. (Mine did )

JTL
Old Sep 7th 2009, 3:58 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I converted. It seemed the safe thing to do at the moment as they've let all the contractors gone. Was a contractor for 14 years in the Uk, and a year here.

Just look at the salary point of the role that you are doing. You're not going to get special treatment and get Team lead pay for an a/p role.

I'm happy with a steady life and a sure job.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What are the rate cuts like?
My rate hasn't been cut.

Though I did think it was prudent not to ask for a pay rise for the next contract renewal.

I don't know about other contractors, as all the others I knew are either gone or now permanent.

I do feel a bit like a deer staring into the headlights at the moment,

JTL
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:32 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Never understood why companies employ contractors long term... either sign them up full time or fire them off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.