British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/qld-flooding-general-chat-stuff-699997/)

tinaj Jan 11th 2011 10:31 am

Re: Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff.....

I am still trying to contact my Uncle & Aunt who live close to Toowoomba.Can't get hold of them by mobile, landline or email so I am pretty worried now, they live in the middle of nowhere called Rosalie Plains just west of Toowoomba. If anyone know any info on this are I would be very thankful.

Fortunately we are okay here on the Gold Coast.:fingerscrossed:

DownUnderPaddy Jan 11th 2011 10:33 am

Originally Posted by pproehann (Post 9094394)
Sky saying after interviewing Julia with flooded Brisbane River City in the background they are now saying 20,000 possibly will be flooded when it's finished but they did add just guessing still.

As of 10am - http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...112-19n6h.html
"Lord Mayor Campbell Newman says new flood modelling now indicates that 19,700 residential properties and 3,500 commercial premises in 2,100 streets are likely to be flooded in the city."

20k residential properties ? :blink:
That almost defies belief. Shocking.

Mother Nature in Australia is truly brutally harsh once she gets fired up.

The utter helplessness of the unfolding situation reminds me of the fires down here just 2 years ago. Despite the mammoth, incredible efforts of the firefighters and resue services, in the end it was a waiting game to see what the weather would bring and hope that the loss of life and destruction of property would be limited.

Good luck to all affected and struggling through this disaster.
I hope the worst passes soon up there and that the recovery and healing process can begin.

Pollyana Jan 11th 2011 10:39 am

Originally Posted by tinaj (Post 9094483)
I am still trying to contact my Uncle & Aunt who live close to Toowoomba.Can't get hold of them by mobile, landline or email so I am pretty worried now, they live in the middle of nowhere called Rosalie Plains just west of Toowoomba. If anyone know any info on this are I would be very thankful.

Fortunately we are okay here on the Gold Coast.:fingerscrossed:

Tina, call 1300 993 191 - police line set up after the Toowoomba/Lockyer Valley events. I can't see or remember anything on Rosalie Plains but only have limited access to work stuff while not in the office.

Good luck

Pollyana Jan 11th 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy (Post 9094487)
As of 10am - http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...112-19n6h.html
"Lord Mayor Campbell Newman says new flood modelling now indicates that 19,700 residential properties and 3,500 commercial premises in 2,100 streets are likely to be flooded in the city."

20k residential properties ? :blink:
That almost defies belief. Shocking.

Mother Nature in Australia is truly brutally harsh once she gets fired up.

The utter helplessness of the unfolding situation reminds me of the fires down here just 2 years ago. Despite the mammoth, incredible efforts of the firefighters and resue services, in the end it was a waiting game to see what the weather would bring and hope that the loss of life and destruction of property would be limited.

Good luck to all affected and struggling through this disaster.
I hope the worst passes soon up there and that the recovery and healing process can begin.

Yep, 20k plus. Not good at all.
And yes, very much a waiting game. Today is a huge search and rescue job into the Lockyer Valley to try and find those missing and unaccounted for. The Premier has said the Coroner is moving into Lockyer Valley today along with counselling teams.......

Last night all we could do at work was sit and wait for the waters to rise, only so many preparations that can be made; its eerie, and a very frustrating feeling. I've only felt it once before, 7am 20th March 2006, as we waited for Cyclone Larry to cross the coast.

Jen1977ni Jan 11th 2011 10:49 am

Sorry to *spam* :o

CAN ANYONE HELP THIS LADY??????? Debra Ryan HELP NEEDED - my stallion is at Deception Bay with flood water rising. I need any one at Deception Bay with a spare stallion yard. I can't get a float... to him. I need to swim him out. He is near blue pacific drive ring 0403698827 PLEASE CUT AND PASTE passing it along may help this lady

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to make it QUITE so big! :eek:

bcworld Jan 11th 2011 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 9094518)
Sorry to *spam* :o

Jen, I've seen this crop on Facebook a number of times, I think the horse was rescued yesterday.

Petals Jan 11th 2011 10:59 am

Facebook is a good place to put the call for help, I will copy to my page as I have a lot of QLD friends

OK so do not need to its been rescued thank goodness.

Jen1977ni Jan 11th 2011 11:09 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9094536)
Jen, I've seen this crop on Facebook a number of times, I think the horse was rescued yesterday.

It was just posted on my friends FB by a girl who knew the girl, so I dunno if that's the case or not, sorry....

louH Jan 11th 2011 11:22 am

Water has reached the bottom of my street - Grant Denyer and his gang are also there. Really suffering up here from nervous belly!!!!!! Might take another walk down there just to keep upto date with things..............maybe Canberra is not such a bad place after all.......

DeadVim Jan 11th 2011 11:30 am

Originally Posted by louH (Post 9094563)
Water has reached the bottom of my street - Grant Denyer and his gang are also there. Really suffering up here from nervous belly!!!!!! Might take another walk down there just to keep upto date with things..............maybe Canberra is not such a bad place after all.......

Good luck!

katsmajic Jan 11th 2011 11:57 am

seen this on facebook - bought tears to my eyes, so many people trying to help out there too..

its a page with people offering safe places to stay, people and animals.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-can-...2111896?v=wall

louH Jan 11th 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9094578)
Good luck!

Cheers - its the poor bods at the bottom of my street who really need to worry. So many of them are currently trying to pack up their lives into any transport they have and their efforts are being hampered by dickhead "tourists" driving their cars into the very heart of the problem. I live in a small street and so far today have seen 2 prangs.

DeadVim Jan 11th 2011 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by louH (Post 9094646)
Cheers - its the poor bods at the bottom of my street who really need to worry. So many of them are currently trying to pack up their lives into any transport they have and their efforts are being hampered by dickhead "tourists" driving their cars into the very heart of the problem. I live in a small street and so far today have seen 2 prangs.

Stupidity beyond belief ... I am going nowhere today, everyone else can panic buy and sightsee ...

asprilla Jan 11th 2011 12:44 pm

For what it's worth, the weather outlook is pretty good right now for Brisbane and SEQ. Nothing really on the radar,only light showers.

Wivenhoe have reduced the amount of water they are releasing, so this is a good sign.

itigo Jan 11th 2011 1:01 pm

Was just reading the BBC coverage - main article on the World News and I see your newsclip has been added as a permanent feature on the page Jen!