Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Public Sector interview

Wikiposts

Public Sector interview

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 5:50 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Public Sector interview

Originally Posted by Dorothy
A part of my job is sitting on selection panels and what you are saying is simply not true for WA Health positions. JDFs have to be written and approved by HOD, Business Manager (or DON) then HCN before being advertised. An existing JDF cannot be changed unless it goes through the same process. And hiring is done by panel, which means all applications are sent to all panel members who grade the applicants independantly before any decision is made on who gets or doesn't get an interview. Everything has to be documented, so panel members cannot just throw away suitable candidates and interview those not suitable.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but it certainly isn't WA Health, which is where Eddie is applying.
Ditto for Education Department.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Absolutely nothing. That's how the public sector have to do it. They are legally required to put the job out to the general public whilst nearly without fail, they know they are going to give the job to someone already 'inhouse'. It's a pain in the arse for everyone. They're wasting their time and money as well as yours. However sometimes, just sometimes, the 'outsider' gets the job but don't hold your breath. Sorry hon.
I've been on a public service selection panel and, while my boss was hoping we'd select the in-house candidates, we ended up ranking the outside candidate first and failed one of the in-house candidates. We offered the outside candidate a job a couple of weeks after the interview but he'd already found something else by then.

I think at least some (hopefully most) public servants have sufficient integrity to rank candidates fairly. The big disadvantage an outsider has is knowing how to address the selection criteria. It would be a big help if you could get some guidance from someone with public sector experience.

Don't despair and give it another go.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry, forewarned is forarmed.... By the time they have made their decision and gone through all the committeees its likely I'll have been offered soemthing else anyway... Which is a BUGGER coz I want this job, but cant turn down ANY job offered whilst they go through thier "due process" simply because I pay our mortgage.....

There is a Post on Rottnest Island I am qualified to apply for.... Live on the island all year.... Would be great out of season....imagine its as busy as in season... Resident ferry rates apply to family and family accommodation is provided.... At a HUGE discount...

7 on 3 off 8 on 4 off..... One on call in 3 but ONLY during your on days AND (best bit of all) I'd get to take the ambulance home with me when I'm on call.... i love playing with the blues and twos on emergency vehicles...

HE reckons it would be less impact on the family than if I went back to permanant nights.... AND they could spend every weekend I'm working and the whole school holidays on the island..... I would head home for my 3 off and 4 off.... So as a family we would have enforced family time.... Love that idea...

might just be applying for that one... Would need to get my sewing machine across tho.... That COULD be an issue....
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:51 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
A part of my job is sitting on selection panels and what you are saying is simply not true for WA Health positions. JDFs have to be written and approved by HOD, Business Manager (or DON) then HCN before being advertised. An existing JDF cannot be changed unless it goes through the same process. And hiring is done by panel, which means all applications are sent to all panel members who grade the applicants independantly before any decision is made on who gets or doesn't get an interview. Everything has to be documented, so panel members cannot just throw away suitable candidates and interview those not suitable.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but it certainly isn't WA Health, which is where Eddie is applying.
Where am I getting it from? Well, working in the public sector (in the UK). The initial sift, prior to interview panels getting to see and grade applications, was a fertile venue for playing games with the selection. I've seen what I discuss done, usually by finding something wrong with the filling in of the various boxes and discarding the application as 'incomplete'.

It's usually something for the more senior posts, lower level posts are less of an issue.

Frankly EVERY system can be gamed, and having to go out for applications on a job where you already have the person you want is a pain. It's not surprising many approaches to gaming are used. While WA Health might not do that one, I'll bet they do do something.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:55 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Where am I getting it from? Well, working in the public sector (in the UK). The initial sift, prior to interview panels getting to see and grade applications, was a fertile venue for playing games with the selection. I've seen what I discuss done, usually by finding something wrong with the filling in of the various boxes and discarding the application as 'incomplete'.

It's usually something for the more senior posts, lower level posts are less of an issue.

Frankly EVERY system can be gamed, and having to go out for applications on a job where you already have the person you want is a pain. It's not surprising many approaches to gaming are used. While WA Health might not do that one, I'll bet they do do something.
Key part of your post. This may be the case in the UK but it is most definitely not the case in Australia.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Heaven help the nurse who in Australia opens her mouth and says...

"In the UK we would........ "

Complete this sentence as you desire