Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Public Sector interview

Wikiposts

Public Sector interview

Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Public Sector interview

Ok

Just had a public sector interview...

5 set questions

No others

30 minutes

Feel really deflated

felt Like the token interview that they HAD to conduct for due process.....

was told TWICE that they have 5 STRONG candidates that they are inteviewing for the post ok, so I'm one of them..... But.... Also asked whether I would like to join their casual pool.. Yes I would, but I need fulltime permanant employment... I pay our mortgage...

WTF have I done?

All over in 30 minutes.....
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:40 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Public Sector interview

So when are you likely to hear a result?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Was told that if I hadnt heard within 2/3 weeks to give them a ring...

WTF have I done?????
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Was told that if I hadnt heard within 2/3 weeks to give them a ring...

WTF have I done?????
Absolutely nothing. That's how the public sector have to do it. They are legally required to put the job out to the general public whilst nearly without fail, they know they are going to give the job to someone already 'inhouse'. It's a pain in the arse for everyone. They're wasting their time and money as well as yours. However sometimes, just sometimes, the 'outsider' gets the job but don't hold your breath. Sorry hon.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

And you are perfectly free to turn down work from thier casual pool should you get another job. It isn't a permanent commitment to their organisation.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same at the Uni where I work. To be fair to all candidates the interview process is very rigid and the process must be followed exactly - everyone gets asked the same questions.

I think it works well and if you get in you will be in a very secure job.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:32 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, welcome to the public sector. I have just applied for the job I have been doing for 2.5 years. It is very frustrating and I know that I am not a 'shoe in' for the job as there are lots of experienced people applying. I just have to pray I get an interview and I can work my magic then.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Absolutely nothing. That's how the public sector have to do it. They are legally required to put the job out to the general public whilst nearly without fail, they know they are going to give the job to someone already 'inhouse'. It's a pain in the arse for everyone. They're wasting their time and money as well as yours. However sometimes, just sometimes, the 'outsider' gets the job but don't hold your breath. Sorry hon.
In general its possible to spot the job ads that have been pre-stitched up. Look at the selection criteria. Does it read as if its written around someone? In particular, does it have requirements that don't sound like the requirements for the job, but maybe what someone who wrote it might have? That's particularly true when they are looking to appoint someone into a pre-existing structure at a reasonable level. You have to assume there is someone who's placed to want that job.

The other trick they pull is the pre-selection. If they have someone lined up for the job then often if you are a strong candidate you WON'T get an interview. Much easier to throw them away at the sift stage and put forward into the interview individuals that won't match up to the job. Plausible deniability.

One way round this is to call the contact listed, and as part of your questioning ask "Look, I don't want to put in wasted effort, is there someone in-house that you are considered for the post?" Anything other than an immediate denial and a statement that they are explicitly looking for someone new means it's stitched up.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well I take some consolation that it will be the same for everyone who interviews... I AM a strong candidate with all the right skills, knowledge and qualifications.... Just expected the interview to be a little more "humane".... Afterall they want some one to join their small team.... So they have to know a BIT about me, why I want to work for them etc etc etc..... Whther I would fit in... Its not a post for a machine..... Shocked they werent curious.....
Old Oct 20th 2011, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Started off badly... the ONE perosn who knows me well on the panal said "welcome Edwina"... At which point I jumped in with... Would you mind calling me Eddie please, only my mother calls me " Edwina" and thats only when I'm in trouble.......

Talk about foot in mouth.....
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Shows you have a sense of humour.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 1:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
In general its possible to spot the job ads that have been pre-stitched up. Look at the selection criteria. Does it read as if its written around someone? In particular, does it have requirements that don't sound like the requirements for the job, but maybe what someone who wrote it might have? That's particularly true when they are looking to appoint someone into a pre-existing structure at a reasonable level. You have to assume there is someone who's placed to want that job.

The other trick they pull is the pre-selection. If they have someone lined up for the job then often if you are a strong candidate you WON'T get an interview. Much easier to throw them away at the sift stage and put forward into the interview individuals that won't match up to the job. Plausible deniability.

One way round this is to call the contact listed, and as part of your questioning ask "Look, I don't want to put in wasted effort, is there someone in-house that you are considered for the post?" Anything other than an immediate denial and a statement that they are explicitly looking for someone new means it's stitched up.
A part of my job is sitting on selection panels and what you are saying is simply not true for WA Health positions. JDFs have to be written and approved by HOD, Business Manager (or DON) then HCN before being advertised. An existing JDF cannot be changed unless it goes through the same process. And hiring is done by panel, which means all applications are sent to all panel members who grade the applicants independantly before any decision is made on who gets or doesn't get an interview. Everything has to be documented, so panel members cannot just throw away suitable candidates and interview those not suitable.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but it certainly isn't WA Health, which is where Eddie is applying.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
A part of my job is sitting on selection panels and what you are saying is simply not true for WA Health positions. JDFs have to be written and approved by HOD, Business Manager (or DON) then HCN before being advertised. An existing JDF cannot be changed unless it goes through the same process. And hiring is done by panel, which means all applications are sent to all panel members who grade the applicants independantly before any decision is made on who gets or doesn't get an interview. Everything has to be documented, so panel members cannot just throw away suitable candidates and interview those not suitable.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but it certainly isn't WA Health, which is where Eddie is applying.
Bugger.... i was taking some comfort from that lol....Coz the job description was "written for me" I am exactly who they need.... Meet all the requirements, done the job, but in the uk....

Just suppose it will come down to who was least freaked by their ineterview technique... And that wasnt me
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy

I;ll echo that from a Queensland point of view.
The Selection Criteria are embedded into the Job Description and to change them takes an age - last time ours was changed it took 9 months start to finish and that was a rushed job.
Again, each panel member grades the applicants independently and recommends their interview preferences; they also have to make notes to justify each decision. Post-interview the reports recommending who to appoint have to be drawn up, justifying the reason why each interviewee was successful or not, and stating whether they should be merit listed, and if so - why.
If the Exec Manager/Director doing the final sign-off isn't satisfied that everyone got a fair shot he can knock back the recommendation and ask for further justification.
The amount of paperwork involved is staggering, especially with three panel members, but it needs to be a transparent process.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Last time I interviewed for the public sector I was asked one question

"can you do an early shift in the morning?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.