Proud dad moment

Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:26 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Proud dad moment

Daughter sat her AMEB Grade 6 Piano exam a couple of weeks ago...

result today:

A+ !!!!!!

Not too shabby for a 9 year old! (puts my ABRSM Grade 6 "Merit" at 15yrs old to shame).

Question is - now does she work for Grade 8 (teacher has already dismissed doing Grade 7 as a waste of time), or go straight for an AMus diploma?!

(sorry... terrible display of hubris. I'll calm down again now.... )

Last edited by DadAgain; Oct 14th 2013 at 5:42 am.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proud dad moment

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Daughter sat her AMEB Grade 6 exam a couple of weeks ago...

result today:

A+ !!!!!!

Not too shabby for a 9 year old! (puts my ABRSM Grade 6 "Merit" at 15yrs old to shame).

Question is - now does she work for Grade 8 (teacher has already dismissed doing Grade 7 as a waste of time), or go straight for an AMus diploma?!

(sorry... terrible display of hubris. I'll calm down again now.... )
I have to say I don't know my AMEB's from my ABRSM's to any other alphabet soup but it sounds like an great achievement, and you are obviously the very proud dad right now - congrats to you and big congrats to your daughter
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:41 am

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I have to say I don't know my AMEB's from my ABRSM's to any other alphabet soup ....
aahh yes:

AMEB: "Australian Music Examinations Board"
ABRSM: "Associated Board of the Royal School of Music"

levels in both systems range from Preliminary to Grade 1-8 with Grade 8 being considered roughly Uni/Conservatorium entry level and with Amus (Associated Diploma of Music) and LMus (Licentiate Diploma of Music) being the highest standard of qualification achievable and very tough to be awarded.

Grade 6 is a phenomenal achievement for a 9yr old... hence my ludicrous pride!
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:47 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

aahh yes:

AMEB: "Australian Music Examinations Board"
ABRSM: "Associated Board of the Royal School of Music"

levels in both systems range from Preliminary to Grade 1-8 with Grade 8 being considered roughly Uni/Conservatorium entry level and with Amus (Associated Diploma of Music) and LMus (Licentiate Diploma of Music) being the highest standard of qualification achievable and very tough to be awarded.

Grade 6 is a phenomenal achievement for a 9yr old... hence my ludicrous pride!
I'm smiling for you

Is that for a specific instrument? Excuse the ignorance
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:51 am

yeah sorry - missed that off the original post (has now been edited for clarity)

Piano. (Her violin playing is at a mere Grade 5 level)
Old Oct 14th 2013, 6:00 am

yeah sorry - missed that off the original post (has now been edited for clarity)

Piano. (Her violin playing is at a mere Grade 5 level)
I sense there may be some celebrations in the DA house tonight
Old Oct 14th 2013, 7:53 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I have to say I don't know my AMEB's from my ABRSM's to any other alphabet soup but it sounds like an great achievement, and you are obviously the very proud dad right now - congrats to you and big congrats to your daughter
X2
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats.

Do grade 8 next. The AMUS is incredibly challenging, and her hands might need to grow a little bit so she gets a better span, and is just that little bit maturer. Has she got her grade 5/6 theory? I had a vague notion that for higher grades you need theory at a reasonable level. DD needed grade 5 to do the grade 7 piano- though she never actually took piano in the end.....

DD bailed out of her grade 7 piano, as schoolwork in Y 11/12 got in the way of practising, and never took any cello or singing exams in Australia- too stressful for her and ditto with the time for practice, so she has only grade 4 cello and grade 5 singing, gained when she was 11 in the UK. (She is much better than those grades now!!) At least your daughter doesn't have all the homework and extra studying to get in the way. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 10:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all dutch to me but huge congrats to your daughter. Oh and her presumably very talented parents as well.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 10:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to your daughter. Well done to her, and you guys for encouraging her talents.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 1:11 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

That's fab. Congratulations!!!